Old 03-08-2008, 10:13 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #7

Good Evening, Flowers! It's been a long day and with setting the clocks ahead I'm thinking it will be bedtime pretty soon. The Key Club is having a pancake breakfast tomorrow and I would like to go because one of our model, 3.+ GPA, special ed. students is an officer, and asked if I would go. I have to be at church by 9:30 so will have to get up early to eat pancakes at 8:30! I did some power shopping at Penneys, in Sioux Falls, and found some spring clothes as well as Easter basket clothes for the grandchildren. I need to come up with a book and/or small toy to put with the clothes and call it good. Kolby and Zowie have birthdays in April and May so should have bought them extra outfits. Oh well . . . . .

"Gma" -- I am delighted to share some snow with you! Thanks for posting the picture, but what is on top of the table? I studied the picture and just couldn't tell. Jason has taken on the finishing of their basement with the help of his father-in-law and Bob. Anything involving electricity and plumbing he has to have inspected before he can go on. The fireplace turned out to be a much bigger project than they anticipated in that the outside chimney had to have so many inches between the pipe, the insulation (?), and the siding framework, which the fireplace installer didn't bother to tell Jason. He and Bob redid that mistake! Just in doing the sheetrock and insulation he has saved almost $3000, but it has taken 6 months to get to where he is. His fil works with wood so will do the baseboards and door/window trim for them. Jason plans to do the sheetrock seaming and mudding, then have a professional do the texturing. I had a nice visit with Amanda, Zowie took a nap on my lap, and Ian showed me some of his preschool papers. He is a perfectionist like his mother, and doesn't like it if something doesn't look quite right to his satisfaction.

Susan -- Congratulations on losing another pound! I will be watching for the WW film. That is exciting! I hope that Stan gets to feeling better and more like eating.

I'm working on laundry and need to change loads before I look for my black slacks and turtleneck for tomorrow. Then I'm going to bed! Have a nice Sunday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #2  

Good morning to you all. Jean, I guess I didn't make myself clear in my explanation. The thing on the table is the canister of the deicer pellets I had Jack bring out of the garage in case we got a "little" ice! Boy, we got more than a little ice. Of course, it warmed up yesterday and a lot of it melted away and probably the rest will go today and good riddance. We went out about 9:30, went and had breakfast then headed out to the commissary and still saw 2-4 accidents on the way. People just will not slow down and the roads were in good shape for the most part. One guy went off the interstate and down into a culvert. I imagine it was a real deal to get him out because it was steep.

Susan: Congrats on another lb down! That's great. Poor Stan. Hope he gets to feeling better soon. It just never seems to let up with him though. Something is always troubling him physically. I hope he can have a better week next week. I am down to 7 weeks until surgery day and boy I have to say I am ready to get this done and over with. My sil (Jack's sister) is coming on the Saturday before my surgery on the Monday and staying the week. The bad part is she is flying Southwest and they don't fly into Memphis so we have to go to Little Rock, which is about 2.5 hours from here. Jack will have to take her back alone as I won't be able to travel after I come home from the hospital and on top of that will be here alone for about 5-6 hours. I know I can call Kelly if I need her and there is always the lady across the street if I have any real emergency. The good thing is my sil is a cardiac nurse and she won't let me have any problems with the hospital. She will go and get the head nurse if she has to. She did that when Jack was in the hospital and we had an issue with something.

Jean: Sounds like that new house is a lot of work. Isn't Jason the one that bought the new house just awhile back? Keeping my fingers crossed your bell number comes out great for you today. We will be going around 10 or so to pick up Thomas. Unfortunately, I have no knitting project though if I can dig up the yarn in my leftover stash drawer I am going to make a couple cute knit ducks for Easter that on the underside have an opening for a Cadbury egg. They are really cute and look pretty simple. I just have to have some yellow or white yarn. I will take a book with me too, just in case.

Well, need to get those chores done so I better get hoping.
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! Our sunshine has disappeared and a few snowflakes are falling. I wish it would either get serious and dump enough so we could have a snow day tomorrow or cut it out! I turned the alarm off this morning so missed the pancake breakfast. I was just too tired to get and get moving. I felt like I was in slow motion all morning. We didn't get home from church until 12:30 and by the time we ate, cleaned up the kitchen, and looked at the clock it was 2:30. I have been rearranging my holiday cupboard of stuff I don't store in the basement. I keep thinking if I had it all together maybe I wouldn't have to dig and search for things in the future. My Easter stuff is ready and waiting!

"Gma" -- I know you said you had the ice melt bucket out -- guess I didn't realize it was on the table. We had the weather channel on TV this morning and it showed the cars sliding around in Cleveland. I couldn't tell if it was on the turnpike or freeway but one car got hit several times. It almost looked like toy cars sliding around and crashing into each other. Bells went ok -- it was a new piece but pretty simple if you can count to 4! Yes, Jason is the one who bought the new house. I knew it was in March a year ago when we moved them -- no snow but really cold, and it rained one day. Amanda said they closed on the 20th and we moved them in several different trips finishing on the 24th. Doesn't seem possible they have been there almost a year. Time flies, no doubt about it. The knit ducks sound cute. I have a chicken my mom made but it is crocheted and fits around a plastic egg. Wonder where I hid that? Guess I will go look for it.

I need to get back to my cupboard . . . the Halloween witches are waiting. Have a relaxing "rest of the day!"

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 03-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #4  

Good evening ladies! A cold day in Virginia. But sunny! It's after 7 and just starting to get dark.

I guess I'm thinking summer is just around the corner. Got 3 pair of shorts today that we on clearance for 50% off the lowest price on the ticket so only $8.50 for all three. They have the longer length I like.

Stan has done a complete turn around and is feeling better today, and eating better. So maybe he'll do better now. I sure hope so.

I've got the last load of laundry in the dryer now. I'll sure be glad to get that done.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all. Hope your day has started out well.

We had great fun with Thomas. Here is our little bowling champ! Now you see why he plays the piano. Look at those long fingers. This new Incredible Pizza Company is pretty neat. You buy a buffet that includes pizza, soup, salad, and fruit bar, potato bar, pasta bar, dessert bar, and soda fountain. It was $7.99 for me, $6.99 for Jack and $4.99 for Thomas. You then can get cards that cost 25 cents apiece and can load them with any $ amount to do the games and such. It is themed around the 50's and they play great 50's music. They have a diner to eat in, an old style theater that runs kids style 50's movies with tables and chairs to eat in, a separate birthday party area and then what they call the fairgrounds. It has a large assortment of the video type games, a mini bowling alley, mini glow in the dark golf, bumper cars and go carts. It also has an area for toddlers that is fenced off. We were there 5 hours getting there just as they opened and by the time we left, there were literally swarms of people pushing to get in. I was glad we were leaving. We had a great time, but we were pooped.

Susan: I am so glad Stan is feeling better and maybe starting to eat better too. I probably didn't eat well for almost a month after coming home from surgery. Nothing tasted any good. For me, all things tasted sort of tinny. Man, what a deal on shorts. I love to get stuff on sale!

Jean: Sometimes we have to forego the pancakes for sleep! I wish I had a nice cupboard that I could put holiday stuff all in. Our closet and cupboard space stinks in the condo. I have part of my shoes in the extra bedroom closet because I don't have enough room in my own for them. We have a walk in closet in our bedroom but my clothing is shoved in pretty tightly. I think I am going to have to start separating my summer and winter and put the opposite season in Jack's office closet. It is full of his computer junk, but has a nice hanging rod.

I got up late so I need to really kick in and start chores. Have a great morning!
Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pizzacomp.jpg (25.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by gma22; 03-10-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #6  

Good morning, ladies! Or I guess it is afternoon now. Cold today but sunny. I hate the time change - couldn't fall asleep last night and didn't want to get up this morning!

Faye, Thomas sure has "piano-player" hands. He's such a handsome boy. I'm glad you got to take him for some quality grandparents time. Sounded like a real deal for the buffet.

Jean, hope the snow is gone and the little darlin's are behaving today. Almost time for Easter break!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #7  

Good Evening, Flowers! It was a beautiful day in my neighborhood! I walked outside from one end of the building to the other to get to my last study hall of the day. It was a GREAT day . . . I got rid of another one of my challenging students. He comes with no books, no passbook, (restricted to study hall) and wanted to go to the art room. He handed me someone else's passbook and said he was going. I told him "no" so he sat down clear across the room from his assigned seat, took out a big bottle of pop from his baggy pants pocket and proceeded to drink it. They are not supposed to have pop in the academic area plus all of the regular pop has been removed from the student center so he obviously had brought it into the school. I asked him to give it to me and he took another drink, stood up, and walked out. I told him to take it to the office but I'm sure he pitched it on his way. I called the office and told them he was coming with his pop which he refused to give to me and I also wrote him up. Nothing will be done I'm sure. However, at the end of the day I had a note saying he would be going into another study hall. Guess he doesn't like my rules! Didn't break my heart any that's for sure! He is a total waste of oxygen!

"Gma" -- Glad to hear your time with Thomas was good! I don't think there is ever enough closet/cupboard space. I would have a lot more room if I would just sort and pitch the clothes I don't wear any more.

Susan -- I'm glad that Stan is feeling better! I know what you mean about the time change. I'm not ready when the time rolls around to go to bed and could sleep another hour in the morning.

I've got laundry to fold so need to keep moving. I was awake earlier than usual so I am tired tonight. Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #8  

Good morning to everyone. I slept better last night so feel a bit better this morning than I did yesterday. I think I am just frustrated at all this stuff at the moment. I want to start walking again, but I find that when I walk any distance at all I start cramping with gas cramps pretty badly. I think I am going to start some short walks on the treadmill instead of outside and see how that goes. I also can't bend over without it cramping up. It did that at the pizza place when we played mini golf. I hurt pretty much the whole time until I sat down and was straight again. I figure it is because my innards are kind of out of place at the moment so that bending over traps the gas. I am finding that pretty much everything I eat causes gas in some way and even some of the things that I should eat like certain carbs that are good for my digestive system causes gas and round and round I go. I told Jack last night that I hope fixing me back the way I was will help all this out.

Susan: I got my first email from Thomas last night. He got a computer for Christmas but I didn't know his email address until we took him on Saturday. I emailed him when we got home so he knew it and got an email back from him last night, "i have your email address." I had to laugh he is about as forthcoming as his mom. I sent him a picture of his cousin that my son sent me at Valentine's Day and told him to have a good day at school. At least I can communicate with him a bit this way. Hope Stan is continuing to get better and better and eat more and more. I too am having to get used to the time change I guess.

Jean: I actually have quite a bit of cupboard space in the kitchen but every one of them is full of stuff and I have a huge pantry we bought besides. The house we rented when we first came here had very little cabinet space so we bought this huge pantry and a china cabinet at a closing sale of the old Service Merchandise stores and we moved it here and put the pantry in the dining room and the cabinet is up in the spare bedroom with my good china in it. The pantry holds all my canned and boxed goods and on top all my small appliances that can't go in the kitchen like the food processor, bread machine, etc.

I have started a drawstring backpack handbag from leftover wool while I am waiting for the sweater yarn to come. Hopefully that will be today or tomorrow. The bag is going to be a gray and red varigated yarn with a red stripe pattern at the bottom, red straps and red drawstring. I am thinking about lining it with fabric, but I will be hand sewing it together as I don't have a sewing machine. I may offer it to my girlfriend's dd since she never told me what she wanted and liked her mom's red purse I made her. We shall see. It may felt too small for a woman than I will have to make another one maybe and give them to my 2 nieces who are 12 and 14.

Time to get my chores going and I have some vacuuming to do. Have a good Tuesday! Keep an eye out for the as he may be trying to get his egg placing done early!

Faye
Old 03-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #9  

Good Evening, Flowers! It was another beautiful day in my corner of the world. I could really get spring fever! I had the back door open after school today -- "Mom" and the outside cat came nose to nose through the screen. Nobody hissed so I guess that is a good sign. When I got to school this morning I had a "see me" note from the a**t. principal. I had written up this same kid twice in 8 days for just walking out of the classroom after I told him "no." There was no detention assigned so I decided I would react to the "see me" note just like the a**t. principal does to my detention notices . . . none, zip, nada! I figured if he really wanted to talk to me he could hunt me down. The special ed. teacher in charge of this kid did go in and talk to the a**t. principal saying he needed to have some sort of consequence for walking out. The a**t. agreed but I'm sure nothing will come of it. He's out of my study hall permanently and was wandering the halls again today. Since I'm not responsible for him I don't care what he does now. Is that an attitude or what!

"Gma" -- I think it is neat that you and Thomas can exchange emails now. I'm sure he will get a kick out of it too. I'm sorry about the gas problem; I'm sure that is no fun at all. The drawstring backpack bag sounds like a cute idea. I have seen the young girls wearing them at the mall. I hope your yarn comes sooner rather than later so you can finish you sweater.

I have more laundry going so need to hang some jeans to finish drying. Not much else is going on in my corner of the world. Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow! Remember to !

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:24 AM   #10  

Good morning to everyone. Looks like it is going to be a fine day here. We have really warmed up and yesterday it was beautiful outside. Hope spring will stick now. I really want to get out in the back and get the winter gunk off the deck and such and get out the patio set and bbq gril set up. Maybe I can get that accomplished this weekend.

Jean: Good for you! I agree, make him come to you since he doesn't seem to want to do anything about discipline for anyone. You have more fortitude than I would. I would have already have put in those papers a couple years ago. I did get my yarn yesterday so I will be working on those sleeves today to get it done. I also am finishing up this very interesting book called The Anatomy of Deception It is an interesting thriller written in the time of around 1888 about medical practices and autopsies, abortions, and such and about murder to cover up these things. Good book. I read all but a few pages of it yesterday and want to finish it this morning.

Jack has the "I want to retire blues" this morning. I told him it is almost worst to be able to see the end of the tunnel than it is to know retirement is far off. If it is close you are antsy to get it over with and if it is far off you don't even think about it because then you know you have to work years before you can retire so no use to even think about it. He has 7 years until he can retire. Luckily, we have a three day weekend with Easter right around the corner and we go to Indiana the end of the first week in April so he will have some time off.

We decided to spend big $$ and kennel Fortune at the pet hotel at Petsmart and see how he does. I talked to the pet people at Petsmart and they said that his urine being pink when he comes home from being kenneled is stress as many dogs have the same problem. It always goes away a day or two after he comes home. Well we are going to have him housed in a suite which is a separate room with a tv and a bed and the walls come up so he can't see any other dogs and the noise is at a minimum. On top of that, we are paying for him to have one on one time each day with staff to play with him so he isn't with other dogs. He is afraid of other dogs. Even though this is horribly expensive if it makes him feel less stressed than being housed in a cage Jack and I are all for it. We were going to take him with us and just stay where we can have him, but I think this may just work for him.

Lastly, this is your laugh for the day from a mom on my knitting website.

Have you ever asked your child a question too many times? My three-year-old son had a lot of problems with potty training and I was on him constantly. One day we stopped at Taco Bell for a quick lunch in between errands. It was very busy, with a full dining room. While enjoying my taco, I smelled something funny, so of course I checked my seven-month-old daughter, and she was clean. Then I realized that Danny had not asked to go potty in a while, so I asked him if he needed to go, and he said, "No." I kept thinking, "Oh Lord, that child has had an accident, and I don't have any clothes with me." Then I said, "Danny, are you SURE you didn't have an accident?" "No," he replied. I just KNEW that he must have had an accident, because the smell was getting worse. Soooooo, I asked one more time, "Danny, did you have an accident?" This time he jumped up, yanked down his pants, bent over and spread his cheeks and yelled. "SEE MOM, IT'S JUST FARTS!!" While 30 people nearly choked to death on their tacos laughing, he calmly pulled up his pants and sat down. An old couple made me feel better by thanking me for the best laugh they'd ever had!

The laundry calls at me to put it in the dryer so I better get going. Have a good hump day and a great rest of the week!
Faye

Last edited by gma22; 03-12-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:13 AM   #11  

Good morning to you all. We are having some lovely warm weather that I hope points to the beginning of spring. I am tired of the chilly weather and ready to start wearing my sandals again!

I have about half of one sleeve done and I still may not have ordered enough yarn. I may be about 1 skein short. We shall see. I am just going to see how much it takes to do the one sleeve. I have to have enough to sew it up too.

Nothing much going on here. I am trying to get some stuff done before I go into the hospital and especially since my sil is coming. I have the bedding all washed and put back on the spare bedroom so it is ready. It was probably already clean as I always wash the sheets after someone visits, but I wanted to be sure so I stripped the whole thing and washed it all, sheets, dust ruffle and comforter.
I have started a list in my head of what I want to get done, but most should be done after I get back from Indiana like doing the carpets again and such. I want to pull everything out of the fridge and do a good cleaning of it. It isn't very hard as I have nice glass shelves that clean up pretty easily. I can even sit and do that.

Not much else going on at our house. Hope you all have a good Thursday. The days are just flying by.
Faye
Old 03-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #12  

Good morning, ladies! We're having beautiful Spring weather in my little corner of the world.

My life is boring - same old, same old - grocery shopping, housecleaning, work, etc. Time for something new but I don't know what. We're very busy at work so I'm even working on Friday this week. Means I won't be able to go to my WW meeting and I really enjoy them.

We are lucky to have a great relationship with our local Dodge dealer. They even pick up and return our cars for us when they need service. They picked up Stan's car this morning for safety inspection. I know it needs 2 new tires and the guy told me he'd take it to the tire store across from the dealership because he knew I wanted cheap since the car is really not driven anymore. Now what other dealer would do that, especially when to do sell Michelin tires? We've dealt with them ever since we moved here. Compared to the mega dealerships, they are definitely a hole in the wall - but in business in the same location since 1920's! And they won't charge for the inspection because we bought the car there (13 years ago).

Well, I better hustle and get some work done! Have a good day.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #13  

Good Evening, Flowers! For whatever reason I could not get into the SM site last night -- 3FC was ok but not any further. It's been another beautiful day in my corner of the world. It was 59 degrees on my way home from school today. Snow is melting like mad, but we still have a lot of piles to go. The thick ice is taking forever to melt. School was typical SSDD today! I am so sick of kids who don't want to do anything in study halls. We get lists daily from teachers as to what late assignments students have to do. The kids will say that it's done and in their locker . . . yeah, right.

Bob is at practice and I need to get something started for supper. I guess MIL is going to go into an assisted living place here and has shipped some end tables up from AZ (dumb?). We bought a used couch and rocking recliner to take up to the lake so she can have her furniture from up there. That furniture will have a lot of miles on it . . . to Sioux City and back to the lake and now from the lake to here. Bob says he's not moving her again! I hope she will settle down and like it although it is not on the lake and that's where she wanted to be. Those on the lake are independent living apts. with a common diningroom for the noon meal and she needs more help/supervision this year.

"Gma" -- It sounds like your knitting project is on a roll again. I can just about hear the knitting needles clicking away. Thanks for sharing the mother/son story with us. I laughed out loud! Zowie does really well if going is her idea! Kolby has no interest whatsoever and Beth doesn't seem to mind either. I know what Jack means about wanting to retire and I am much closer to it than he is. Insurance is so darned high though.

Susan -- You won't find any car dealers like your's around here! You are so lucky. I'd rather be busy at "work" than have nothing to do except watch the clock. You will enjoy having the weekend after working tomorrow.

Hope you all have a nice evening and a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 03-14-2008, 07:48 AM   #14  

Good morning to all the flowers this morning. Looks like another beautiful day today even with the rain. It is nice and balmy so I sure hope it continues. This may put a kabosh on cleaning the deck tomorrow though as everything is soaking wet. Maybe it will be dried out by Sunday and I can blow leaves and such out then.

Susan: We don't have state inspection, we have city inspections. Anyone living in the city limits has to have their car inspected, but those in the county don't. For example, we live in the city limits, but our dd lives in a suberb not even 10 miles from here and is governed by the county so has no inspection. Her son goes to county schools not city schools even though technically her address is Memphis, TN. This is a screwy place. Ours isn't as sstringent as VA though. If I remember right they do brake inspection and everything. Here it is lights, windshield wipers, etc and emissions. You have to have enough brakes to put on the emergency brake and not be able to back up too. It doesn't cost anything, but you can't get your tags without it every year. Sounds like you found a perfect place for car work. We get ours done at Firestone and have since we lived here. They usually give us a little break on something when we have work done.

Jean: Man, I would love to be in high school study hall now and just sit and read a book. I never did homework in study hall as it was too distracting. I usually either stood at the desk and talked to the teacher, worked in the library or senior year, I taught reading to 3rd graders since our school system was small and all three, elementary, jr high and high school were all connected. You would share lunch with the little kids if you were in a certain lunch time. I am now down to one sleeve and I am done with the sweater. I am anxious to get it done and put together. I did scout out a pattern to make for T for Christmas and I need to find one I can adapt for Jackson and make them matching sweaters I think. The one for T I liked Jack said looked too girly so I am still looking for patterns to make for the boys. I need to get started on them as soon as I finish the sweater and the handbag. None of the adults get sweaters for their birthdays this year.

My new shoes should be here today and I am so excited. I already have one style of the "trekker" series of shoes/sandals that Land's End carries, but they have these cute mary jane style that I am dying to try. I bought a cute mint color to go with a pair of pants and shirt I have that is green. If I don't like them, I will just send them back and pick something else out. I want to get a second pair of their shoes because they fit me so well and I can walk long distances without my feet hurting. They are also cheaper than buying Clark's sandals.

Best get going on the chores. Have a good Friday and a great weekend.
Faye
Old 03-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #15  

Good Evening, Flowers! I've slept the evening away and now it is time to go to bed. It was sunny and cooler today; they are talking rain turning to snow during the night. I hope that is wrong but also know that March weather can be so unpredictable. Everyone at school was ready for it to be over for the week. One of the clubs at school designed a t-shirt to honor the teacher with cancer. We could choose from several different bright colors and the writing is in lavender and white with stars, confetti, and the cancer ribbon. The saying is "There is always hope . . . . follow your bliss! And where there's hope there is you!" Evidently Anita is noted for telling the first part to her art students. They sold over 500 shirts to students, staff, other schools, and her family. We gathered in the gym after school and had a group picture taken. The newspaper was there so I suppose we will be on the cover.

Bob wants to go to the lake tomorrow and get furniture together to haul down for his mother when the time gets closer. I'm not sure if I will go or not. I have a lot I could be doing right here. He sings in church on Sunday so have no plans for going anywhere or the kids coming here.

"Gma" -- I had forgotten, but we used to have to have our cars inspected. I'm not sure why we don't any more. Bob is trading pickups and told the sales lady that I really missed my old car. She said that the guy who bought it had also purchased the extended warranty on it. Shortly after he bought it he had several major things go wrong and it would have cost him over $5000 by the time everything was fixed. He called, before he bought it, and asked if we'd ever had any trouble with it and why we were trading. It was only 5 years old and had 45,000 miles on it so it should have been good for another 50,000 miles with new tires according to Bob. I have some Lands End sandals that I really like. After wearing them all summer I thought they had lost some of their cushiony feel -- like the rubber sole part was squished together. Of course I wore them to the lake, in the sand, and in the water and they weren't that expensive. I just got a new catalog so guess I will see what's new for this summer.

Guess I will head off to bed and read. Have a relaxing weekend!

Jean -- in Iowa!