South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Garden Chat

I am so envious of you chicks talking about starting gardening and ice pansies in bloom! My front bed is under ten feet of snow - seriously! (That's where the snow from the lane is dumped.) I don't expect it gone until May.

I did order a few goodies for the garden from Veseys. I splurged on the double pink coneflower (echinacea) pictured here. I am definitely saving the seeds from this plant as it is $22.95!

In the meantime, I am making do with some forsythia branches my neighbour cut for me. They forced into bloom in just a few days and are a splash of sunshine.

What's happening in your garden?
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:30 PM   #2  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

Not much, as all I have is a patio. I've got some lavender potted, which I'll make into some lavender infused lemonade and tea, hopefully. I wonder if anyone has any great suggestions on things that do well in southern California and in pots. It looks like my dwarf lemon tree may also start to bloom, but I haven't had a ton of luck getting all the flowers to turn into tasty lemons to eat.
uscarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Oh yeah, Ruth! A garden chat - FUN!!

We doubled our veggie garden this year. It's going to have zucchini, yellow squash, lettuce, bush beans, green onions, spinach, tomatoes and peppers. I'll also have a 4'x4' herb garden. Going in there will definitely be cilantro, basil and parsley, but I'm not sure what else.

We expanded the garden last weekend and we will start fertilizing and turning the soil this weekend.

In the front, my four rose bushes are doing well. Not sure what kind they are; they were there (and almost dying) when we moved in. I'm planning some flower beds this year, but not sure what to put in yet. I'll be heading to the library next week for some research!
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

It felt great to work outside in my flowerbeds again! I had put my ice pansies in a sheltered spot under the back steps for the winter, but they're starting to bloom, so I repotted them in my big ceramic planters on the front porch. I got all the beds cleaned out and raked, and was delighted to see so many little sprouts and shoots poking through! All the rosebushes have buds on them, and my primroses, grape hyacinths, mini daffodils are getting ready to burst into bloom. Spring is right around the corner!
I'd like to have a small vegetable garden, but my Dad always puts in a huge garden and gets mad when us kids don't want any of his vegetables. So I let him do all the work, and I get to reap the profits.

Ruth, I love pink coneflowers, and those double pink ones are just gorgeous! I'll have to check on some nurseries nearby to see if they carry them.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

*** Sob *** It's snowing again!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #6  
Spring Chicken

Ruth, my snowdrops are up and your avvie makes me think of them. Also a few early crocuses. I'm still raking up old autumn leaves and have just installed a compost enclosure to put them in. Bulbs are popping up and even the beginnings of daylily leaves. I've got hollyhock and snapdragon seeds going for planting out in May. And i just started my tomato seeds too. I can't get the kind of tomato plants I like around here for some reason (just old fashioned Beefmasters).
JerseyGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #7  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

I wish I didn't have such a black thumb. I have been growing a calla lily bulb inside and it is really tall. I would like to plant it outside when the frost is over, but I don't know what to do with it or if I will remember to water it. I'd also love to plant herbs, but I have had an awful time doing this in the past. Any suggestions? I live in a condo so just have a tiny front bed and then could container plant in back.
JessieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #8  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Jessie, I have calla lillies all around my house. I'm in south Louisiana. They go through freezes each winter and then all pop up again and bloom...they are blooming right now and just gorgeous. If you have a question about them in your area, call your local extension service and they should be able to tell you.

My last 2 boxes for my new veggie garden came in and so did a bunch of veggie plants I ordered and we hope to get them in the boxes soon...need to get some more soil and mulch first.

Our yard is pretty soggy from all the storms, but it's starting to warm up (in the high 40's this morning and in the 60's now) My tropicals are all cut back and starting to try to come back. The carolina jasmine is blooming like crazy and so are the mutabulis roses. The rest of the roses were cut back a few weeks ago and are now full of leaves, but no buds just yet. My herbs are all coming back except for basil, so I bought some new basil plants. Come on Spring!!!!

Last edited by femmecreole; 03-13-2008 at 04:25 PM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 302/229/140

Height: 5'11"

Ruth its okay we'll get our chance when the southerners are cooking in 90+ heat in the summer and we have nice cool breezes. I'm really starting from scratch garden wise. I can't do anything fancy because we're selling this house and moving late in the summer. but I want some containers with flowers so the house looks presentable and not so much like a very neat bachleor pad. ( hubby is very clean and neat about the house but its very plain)
Spiritmagejkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #10  
Spring Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieW View Post
I wish I didn't have such a black thumb. I have been growing a calla lily bulb inside and it is really tall. I would like to plant it outside when the frost is over, but I don't know what to do with it or if I will remember to water it. I'd also love to plant herbs, but I have had an awful time doing this in the past. Any suggestions? I live in a condo so just have a tiny front bed and then could container plant in back.
I think your best bet is to grow your herbs in containers in a very sunny location. They even have self-watering containers nowadays. Check out Gardeners Supply Company.
JerseyGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Okay, now I get my chance to upset Ruth some more. I have 9 rosebushes in flower and the perfume is wonderful and have 4 autumn flowering orchids bursting into bloom. Shades from deep red to palest purple reign at my place. Temps area around 80-85 - it's been a cool wet summer here in the tropics and as the monsoonal trough moves north we look forward to a lovely autumn and winter. No snow as it doesn't snow in Queensland (that would be a disaster) and very little cold.

There put your boots on and enjoy that. The picture is the dendrobium orchid called Towering Inferno.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Pictures0002.jpg (33.4 KB, 4 views)
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #12  

Oh, Ruth! You'll have your warm sunny days before much longer. Just think of what's waiting for you under all the snow, it'll be exciting to see what's growing under that insulation. We're just having a teaser of spring right now, I'm sure we'll still have many days of freezing weather yet.

Jessie, as long as you have a sunny location, most herbs will do well in containers with good drainage. You could even move them to follow the sun if you have to. If you have shade, impatiens are wonderful container plants, and will provide lots of cheery color.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #13  

Shad, just rub it in! You better watch out, she'll show up on your doorstep!

That's a lovely orchid!
Old 03-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

I recieved a Aero Garden from my husband at christmas and another one for Valetines Day. I've been eating fresh lettus and have loads of herbs. Which is kind of fun to pick when I see all that snow blowing outside. I've had outdoor gardens they don't do so well. The Aero Garden is self contain I add water when a light goes on and a tablet. It's organic and the products that come out or flavorful.[ATTACH]28628[/ATTASalad1.jpgCH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HerbGarden11JPG.jpg (43.0 KB, 5 views)
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:45 PM   #15  

Wow, they look interesting! I have to check them out, I think I want one (or two)! Can you use them with any type of plant?