South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Lightbulb Are You Avoiding All Nuts? Might Want to Reconsider...

I know some of us have found that we just can't be trusted not to eat the whole jar/can of nuts in one sitting. However, this article points out that peanuts are a different thing--and may even help you lose weight!

IMHO, we all know how our own body works, and maybe you know that nuts and your body just don't mix. But if you banned all nuts after having an incident with something other than peanuts, you might want to reconsider and try bringing peanuts into your diet!

Just a thought...
Old 03-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

I love nuts! I try to limit it to 1 serving per day, but it is hard. I like them best when I'm running low on groceries and have to wait until a shopping trip for a meal. Definitely fills me up more than a salad would!

Thanks for the article, Laurie!
Old 03-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #3  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for another great article link, Laurie!

Kara

Edited to add: They still say to keep it to a serving of no more than 30 a day.

Last edited by tomandkara; 03-10-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I wonder why they focus on peanuts--don't other nuts have protein and monounsaturated fats as well?

I'm not a peanut fanatic, but give me a can of cashews, and I will make them disappear before your very eyes
Old 03-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Jill, cashews are my all time favorite as well!!! Did you know they're a seed from the middle of a fruit? It's called a cashew fruit!

Kara
Old 03-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

My favs are almonds and macedamia nuts. I can't handle eating just a serving of either, so I always go for the peanuts, which are third on my list of favs.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I'm currently addicted to almonds right now. I put 15 chopped almonds on my oatmeal every morning and I'm good for 4-5 hours. I thought the article was interesting because my husband gets peanuts out of the vending machine every day at work and his weight and cholesterol have been healthy and stable for years.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #8  
I'm not fat I'm fluffy!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'7"

This is good to know I have had a real prob. with cashews. So I portioned them out and gave the whole tin to my daughter, she hid them and gives me one baggie a day....You do what you gotta to right
Old 03-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

I buy those single serve packages of cashews at convenience stores...I get about 3 or 4 south beach servings in each one and it reduces the temptation to eat more. I also love cracking 15 shelled almonds and then splitting them in half before I eat them. Using a nutcracker to remove the shell off of each one is a good way to stretch out the snack. Half the time, i'm not really hungry when I snack...i'm just bored.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #10  
I can do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by valley View Post
Half the time, i'm not really hungry when I snack...i'm just bored.
Great point, Valley!

The reason the article focused on peanuts, JillyBean is that they found these health benefits just in peanuts. I think I read somewhere, though, that we process the fat in all nuts differently, so we don't get as many calories from them as they contain? Not sure, though...

Great ideas, chicks, on how to portion out the nuts--we definitely need to stick to a serving. (I LOVE your technique, SkinnyMe! ) I find mine last longer if I chop them and add them to something rather than eating them straight. If you toast chopped or sliced nuts, they have so much more flavor and that helps me feel more satisfied, too!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal View Post
The reason the article focused on peanuts, JillyBean is that they found these health benefits just in peanuts.
boo...I was hoping they'd only focused on peanuts because the study they referred to only tried it with peanuts. Either way, I know monounsaturated fats have been linked to all kinds of good stuff, so I'll keep on eating my almonds, too! No more cashews for right now, though--can't handle moderation with those

I bought 2 little cans of roasted almonds last night, and as soon as I got home, I sat and sorted them all into single serving baggies. I told Jeff that if he ever saw me sit down to snack with a can of nuts instead of just a little bag of nuts, he could punch me in the face Each can said it had 6 servings, so I opened 6 little baggies and went down the line putting 1 piece in each bag until there were none left in the can.I only ate the few little broken pieces that were left at the bottom of the can when I was done. Hopwfully, this will help.

I also agree with adding nuts to other things instead of eating them alone. I love adding sliced almonds to salads to add crunch without croutons.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Jilly, almonds have tons of vitamin E and other benefits. Plus, as you said, the monounsaturated fat is good fat! Definitely keep eating your nuts. Love the plan with the baggies...that's awesome! about your punishment if you eat from a can...that doesn't sound very pleasant!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:26 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 302/229/140

Here's my thing with nuts. They're still in the shell ( no you can't do that with cashews I know) So I have to get the nutcracker out and crack each one. I might eat a couple.
Closed Thread