Thread: Chicken recipes
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #27
JaneyMay

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'10"

Chicken Tikka - my family's favorite chicken recipe

This wasn't a diet recipe but I switched the thighs for breasts, and use low-fat yogurt (it uses little enough I don't know how much difference that makes diet wise but that's what we have on hand these days so that's what we use). The spices are common for Indian cooking but are available in most regular grocery stores that I've seen in the spice aisle.

Ingredients:
1-1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
small onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 teaspoons ground coriander
3 teaspoons ground cumin
3 teaspoons garam masala
1/3 cup plain yogurt (or lowfat)
1 teaspoon salt

You also need wooden skewers

Directions:
Soak 12 wooden skewers in water.

Put onion, ginger, garlic, juice, coriander, cumin, and garam masala in a food processor. Process until fine, like a paste. Add yogurt and salt and continue processing just until mixed up.

Thread chicken onto skewers. Put them in a large baking dish and coat the chicken on all sides with the marinade. It will get kind of pasty and will stick to the chicken when cooking so make sure all the pieces are pretty evenly coated. Cover and put in the fridge. It can be in there for just a few hours but is even better if you can get it in there the night before.

Then get the grill going or turn on the broiler and cook those yummy chicken skewers till done through, turning every so often so all the sides get browned. Again, the marinade sticks like a paste and will get cooked on it.

2 or 3 skewers makes a meal with a salad and/or some veggies on the side. Yum!
JaneyMay is offline   Reply With Quote