Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 PM   #1  

Default Smoothie recipes

I have a huge dilemma.Here are the ingredients that I want to be able to use in a smoothie(not necessarily all ingredients in one smoothie) but I am not sure what if anything will taste good. And because I am lactose intolerant and allergic to soy I can't handle ice cream or yogurt or cream or soy milk.

1) Crystal Light
2) fruit or anything
3) Almond milk
4) eggbeaters for protein

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am desperate to get more protein because I can go days without eating any protein....
alysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

What on earth are you eating where you don't get any protein? If you are looking to add creaminess to it, you could try adding a frozen banana and other frozen fruits. Here's what I put in mine:

Naked Mango juice
seltzer
frozen blueberries/strawberries
LOTS of spinach (you can't taste it)

I know some folks around here have recommendations for alternatives to non-dairy protein mixes for smoothies. I think the egg whites aren't a bad idea either
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #3  

I am a college student with a mini-fridge and no freezer. My diet at school revolves around PC Fruit and Almond Bars, and apples pretty much.
alysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/200/160

Height: 5 53/4

Default Smoothies

Hi there,

I make a breakfast smoothie every day, though I'm not milk intolerant. But my daughter is, and I would suggest vanilla almond milk, even a touch of real vanilla, those big bags of frozen fruit all mixed, some flaxmeal and last but not least a large many handfuls of baby spinach. I know it might sound weird but it's good for you and doesn't taste bad. If you can use stevia or splenda for taste that would be fine. I can't have bananas but some of that would be super good. I work out from 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours a day with this to start.

Hope that helps.

KC
KCbytheC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

what about rice yogurt? I personnally make my smoothies with almond milk and fruit and they are great but for protein you could add peanut butter or whey powder. If you put PB with the chocolate almond milk it is very yummy!
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I recently bought hemp protein and I like it quite a bit.

My morning smoothies usually consist of...

Lots of spinach (6+ cups)
celery (2-4 stalks)
baby carrots (about 10)
1 cup of strawberries
1/2 apple
1/2 banana

It is very good. I've been trying to up my protein so I will add the hemp protein to that shake.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #7  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

okay a couple of you have mentioned spinach or baby spinach, help a newbie out is this fresh spinach and does it matter what kind?
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #8  
it's always something

Fresh spinach, organic if possible. Baby spinach is usually preferable. Start with a small amount and gradually add more as you get used to it. It really doesn't have a flavor of it's own when you include berries, but it will make your smoothie nearly black
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote