Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #1  
Just Starting Out...

S/C/G: 185/180/145

Height: 5'9.5"

Default Didn't eat b4 my workout, pigged out after...how to avoid this??!!

So i went to gym, worked out for like an hr.
but i didn't eat much before hand, like i went to the gym at 3:30 but i hadn't eating since about 11:30, and that was just a cinnamon roll, which i prob shouldn't have had either!

grrr....but anyways i was sooo weak at the end of my workout and i went to the dining hall and totally PIGGED OUT
i had 1 slice of pizza, cheese quesadillas (two) with sour cream and a little bit of meat....ummm 2 sugar cookies, like maybe 10 fries...not even 10 b/c they weren't completely fried, therefore GROSS. maybe that was a good thing
also half of a chicken patty sandwich.

and a glass of cran-apple juice.
I was SOOOO hungryyyy.
so i totally just ate with my eyes and not my head.

but i'm glad i went to the gym today! and i've been taking vitamins for about 2 weeks now so that helps too!

what should i eat before working out that won't come UP while working out? that's why i never eat b4 working out sometimes it comes up...GROSS.
suggestions??
Tanisha Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Eat 45 min or so before working out, not right before. Then you'll have some energy and it won't come up as you say. Then how about a protein shake after your workout within 30 min? That's what a lot of athletes do. And of course you'll need to get the "junk" out of your kitchen to begin with so it won't tempt you like this - french fries, cookies, pizza, cinnamon rolls, they're all gone (it's called cleaning the crap out of your diet that's making your workouts useless anyways). And make sure the cheese and sour cream is low fat. Quesadillas themselves aren't a "bad" choice, but put in chicken, lowfat cheese, sour cream, a little home made guac and cook them in olive oil. If you work out you'll be hungrier but if you are eating small meals throughout the day and a pre workout meal plus a post workout protein shake or bar, you wont' get ravished like this.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/259/135

Height: 5'4

i'm the same way. eat some carbs (maybe some oats) an hour or so before your workout and then protein right after your workout to feed your muscles and help repair them. helps me! if it makes you feel any better, if youre going to binge, the best time is actually right after an intense workout b/c your body uses most of it immediately to replished what you lost.
DCchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 224/165/160

Height: 4'11& 3/4 inches

In my opinion,there's no such thing as a useless workout.I've heard eating right after a workout is better than eating before one because your metabolism is the highest it's gonna be for the whole day! Just eat right....
RedPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Suggesting pretty much the same as above. I have to make sure that I've finished eating right about an hour before I work out. (You'll probably have to experiment to see how long before your work out you'll need to stop eating.) Then I have a planned snack bar for when I'm done with my exercise. It curbs the hunger.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #6  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Since working out will speed up your matabolism, you want to have some healthy snacks around. You should eat a banana within an hour after you workout, that advise was given to my mom from a nutritionist.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:28 PM   #7  
Just Starting Out...

S/C/G: 185/180/145

Height: 5'9.5"

OMG thanks guys soo much!
i def need to go food shopping. In response to horsey, I don't have a kitchen lol! i'm in college...this is the food we are fed here

but next time i'll think before i grab! maybe a nice toasted sandwich would've been a better choice lol
Thanksssss soo much!
gonna try eating more often throughout the day!
wooo hoo!
Tanisha Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:25 AM   #8  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

tanisha... i also recommend eating an all natural protein-type bar before a workout. I eat a Kashi Go lean bar (180 calories, no artificial ingredients) about 1 hour to 45 mins before i go to the gym. It keeps me full through the workout.. then i come home and am able to make more reasonable choices for dinner.

Trust me... before i started on this Kashi bar thing i was doing EXACTLY what you were!
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i always try to eat at least something before working out. My pt i work with always warns me to eat b4 coming because she kicks my butt. I usually have a banana with some peanut butter or at least some amount of protien...such as yogart etc.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

OK, so... what was the idea with that cinnamon roll?

Had you eaten a "real lunch" at lunchtime, you wouldn't have been so terribly hungry. So, try to get your schedule more in order. That means some planning ahead. Now I know in school that can be hard, because you have to figure out how to do the classwork, get to your classes, etc. But think of your meals as being a "class" in nutrition. You can't skip them and hope to "pass"--your body won't let you!

I also have a small snack containing protein before I go to my gym in the afternoon. It could be--string cheese and a few crackers. Or a protein bar. Or one of those canned, spiced tuna packages that comes with crackers--Bumble Bee makes them, they keep forever. I also make sure I drink water, before, during, and after working out.

You are doing great--don't worry--just make adjustments!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #11  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

You just have to control your eating better, carefully put more protein in your diet. i would have lunch at work and be to starving to work out when I got home. Now i have 2 small lunches at work, 1 at 11, 1 at 3;30 and a light dinner after my gym works out.

It's getting starving and completely denying yourself of your favourite things (mmm cinammon) that cause these binges. You need to make a solid eating plan.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Hey, you are totally fine!!! Remember, whatever you eat AFTER you work out gets burned off the quickest since your body is trying to recover, and your metabolism is higher. Actually, if after you work out is the only time you binge then you're in good shape. If you strength train really hard you have room to eat even MORE since your body will burn calories for the next 24 hours.

Personally I love to workout when I'm starving. If my stomach isn't completely empty I feel sluggish and sick. I usually don't eat 3-4 hours before going to the gym.

Some advice for eating after a workout- try pigging out on pure protein first since that will satiate you faster. Like, if you know there's no way you will eat healthy b/c of massive cravings, reach for chicken wings or eat the meat off a sandwich first. Let that satiate you a bit, then if you need to, eat whatever else you wanted. Just DON'T start your eating with carbs or pure fat.

Eventually you will get it under control and you won't need to binge after a workout. But until then start with the protein (fatty protein is okay) and when you feel under control then maybe have some carbs. I think you will feel alot better! Starting out with carbs will make the binge keep going and going and going...

If I come home and I'm totally ravenous I reach for protein first ALWAYS. It's been working GREAT!
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote