Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Is it ok to use chicken that expired yesterday?

Sorry, a little o/t, but I need to find out. Bought it Sunday and it's been in the fridge ever since.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #2  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I would say eat it based on the smell. If it smells fresh, it's probably okay... but if it smells skunky, pitch it right away. Expiration dates aren't always spot on... they are just guidelines.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

I was going to be funny... and say - "sure, if you don't mind diarehea" but, then I was afraid no one would find my toilet humor funny... so instead I will say - How cold is your fridge? As long as you keep it cold and you fully cook it = I would use use it. I tend to be a little lax with that, though... so you may not want to listen to me (esp. if you are preggers... or feeding small children... - then I would say do not use). You bought it Sunday - it's only Tuesday... In my fridge, it would be considered at it's peek of freshness... Oh dear, that doesn't make me sound good... Maybe I should go home and clean my fridge.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #4  

I have a 1-year-old, but I won't give her any. Just for me and my guy (who has an iron stomach).
Old 03-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Have you ever watched Bizarre Food with Andrew Zimmern? It really makes you think we've "sissified" our intestines. If people can not only survive, but enjoy eating rotted "stinky tofu," or shrimps that have sat in the sun to "ferment" for several months, or raw pork mixed with rice and allowed to sit in glass jars for two weeks......

I agree if it smells ok raw, and you cook it well, and only healthy adults are eating it. You should have no problems.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW235 225/176.5/136

Height: 5'2

I'm the same way. I go by smell alone. I've pitched things that were days from their expiration b/c they just went bad before expected. I've also used things a day or two after expiration b/c they still smelled fine.
AndLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

I agree with the others; smell it. You might even rinse it off before smelling it. Sometimes it seems to me that the packaging smells bad when the actual product is ok.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #8  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Do you have a cat ???? If you can't decide if you want to try something based on your sense of smell offer it to your cat -- very discriminating noses.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I like the cat idea. If our Max the cat turns up her nose, we know better.

Keep in mind that a lot of those dates are "sell by" dates. If it says "eat by" then definitely go by what everyone has said.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #10  

Well it's been over 12 hours and I'm not vommiting, so I guess it was alright, lol
Old 03-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #11  
Made of Starstuff

Those "expiration dates" are kind of tricksy. They're really used for the grocery stores so that they don't sell food that's too old. (so that they don't get sued) But, really, as mentioned before in another thread, it's not as though at midnight on that date the food suddenly turns rotten. Sometimes food goes bad before, sometimes it goes bad waaaaayyy after. I've found this especially true of milk & cheeses for me. If it looks fine & smells fine it's most likely fine.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Depends on how it expired, if you know what I mean

Sorry, the devil made me do it
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I know you already ate it but I agree... smell it. If it smells okay, wash it in an ice bath with lots of salt (rub each piece well and let it sit a few minutes)... rince and cook. It should be okay. If your really unsure...toss it..better in the garbage then you in the bathroom all night.

When I worked in a nursing home as a chef we were taught to clean our chicken (not old chicken lol) with ice water (or very cold water) and lots of salt.

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote