Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #1  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Going to Panera in an hour - what should I get??

I'm going to Panera for my first time in about an hour and I've heard so many delicious things about it. I have to try to contain myself with all the tasty pastries and breads that will be around. Anyone have any good recommendations on what to get there? Of course I want to stay somewhat healthy, but I've already altered my daily calories to make room for a good lunch. I looked at their online menu and everything looks SO good I don't know what to get!!
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/150/135

I like their blackbean soup and the 1/2 turkey sandwich with chipotle mayo!
Delta Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I would look for their simple sandwich menu rather than their fancy sandwiches. You can pick what kind of bread you want rather than the suggest bread. I'd avoid the paninis as they are just grilled cheese with 'stuff'.

The soups are pretty decent. Although avoid their cheesy and creamy soups. I generally get half a veggie sandwich (no cheese), a veggie soup and an apple.

I'd look at their website and for nutritional information so you won't be surprised. Some of their sandwiches have 300-400 calories, some have over 1000 calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #4  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I do the "you pick two" and I like their veg. black bean soup and greek salad with no dressing---it is too oily, and an apple as the side. I think you could probably ask for lowfat/low cal dressing. I just drizzle some of the soup over the salad greens.

The salmon salad comes highly recommended from my DH and I think there is a "write up" on the salmon salad here on 3FC.

My favorite soup is their mushroom soup, but I haven't looked up the nutritionals.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #5  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

They have a calorie information binder you can ask for at the counter to look through I usually do the you pick two as well, get the fuji apple salad and broccoli cheese soup, about 600 calories altogether. Mmmmm makes me hungry just talking about it
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/172/135

Height: 5'4"

I don't know if you've left yet, but my favorite as of late has been the creamy tomato soup, a half orchard harvest salad, and a piece of sourdough bread. I have a hard time finding combos that I like that much, but this one is really tasty!

Last edited by Forever42; 03-11-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Forever42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #7  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Since you're posting this on 3FC, you're connected to the net - the Panera Website has pretty much nutritional info on all their items (the bread that comes with their soup or salad is a bit hard to exactly measure, depending on how big a "portion" you got).

I usually do the half and half, checking the nutritional info on the items to order to make sure I can fit it in my plan. Last week I did the portabello panini and garden vegetable soup for a very filling and affordable ~450 calories.

Oh yea, avoid even looking at the pastry display
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I like the garlic mushroom soup and the turkey bravo sandwich there. The asiago cheese bread is soooooo gooooood.....but it's off limits now.
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote