Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #1  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Default Scales (not the ones on fish, either! LOL!)

I am going to change my highest weight.

I went to the doctor two weeks ago, & of course I had to "weigh" (I always hate that part). Doc scales said 190.

Well, I had just weighed the day before on my home scale, & it was 182. Now I realize that scales differ, but I was always under the impression that "doctor's scales" were calibrated jussssssst right, and that "home scales" are never "quite right".

And seeing 190 on that scale did not give me any happy feelings, that I can tell you!

But I have decided to change my profile to read 182 as my highest weight. Why? Because I weigh far more often on my home scale than on any doctor scale. Plus I know for a fact that clothes can add as much as 2 pounds (or more!) and that weight can flunctuate throughout the day because of water weight, etc.

I normally weigh myself in the morning, before breakfast, completely nekkied ...just before I get in the shower. This morning I weighed in at 180. So I have LOST two pounds.

So am I hiding my head in the sand here? Or cheating myself? Or what?
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #2  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

My doc scale weighs me like 5-7lbs more than my home scale. I go by my home scale as that is the one I always weigh on
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #3  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

All scales differ. The important thing is to be consistent on one scale. That said, doctor scales are calibrated more specifically than a regular "floor scale" so unfortunatley, that might be the more accurate number. But the good news is that any loss on any scale is still a loss!!!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

If your home scale is the one you usually use, and that is how you usually weigh yourself then that is the "correct" way to do it
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/172/135

Height: 5'4"

Don't forget that weighing conditions are most likely very different.

At home I weigh myself right after I wake, after the bathroom, naked, before breakfast or water.

At the doctor's, I am weighed a few hours after I wake, before I've used the bathroom again, fully clothed, with shoes, after breakfast and water. All of that can add up to even 10 lbs.

So it makes no sense to go by a different scale than you use for weighins, for your "highest weight."

Good luck!
Forever42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I agree...use your home scale as your reference point. That's the one that you will be getting on most frequently and probably about the most accurate for your "first thing in the morning" weigh in. I mean...we seriously even only go to the doctors about once a year....so any loss thru the year will still reflect on their scale next year.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #7  
Little One

S/C/G: 208/208/165

Height: 5'4'

I agree. My home scale is the one I use often (more than just on a trip to the doctor's) so it is the one I trust, and the one that shows me my results (good or bad) so I say stick with your home scale weight.
SweetCurves32 is offline   Reply With Quote