Old 03-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/198/150

Height: 5'7"

Default I heard something interesting today...

about milk,
it helps you lose weight by helping the fat you eat pass through.
Also,I read an interesting email that was sent to me about diet drinks & anything that contains Aspartam(sp?).Very interesting,the side effects that were mentioned sounds much like some of the things I have,tiredness,stomach problems,depression...it was a long list.
Just wanted to share.
beliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/175.5/160

Height: 5.5

Very interesting about the milk & diet drinks... I had heard that about diet drinks w/ aspertame b4, but chalked it up to viscious rumors b/c I can't bare the thought of having to stop drinking diet mt. dew or diet pepsi
LovemyPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #3  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 235/194/160

Height: 5'6"

yeah...ive heard about both too...im not surprised...aspartame is not in anyway natural and thus side effects are expected...No?...also since milk is more of a natural source...its gotta be better for you...i make sure i have milk in the morning, cheeze and yogurt throughout the day...as long as its low fat dairy...i think is fine...and ofcourse in moderation...just like anything else...so yeah...i believe it!
mamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

A lot of the anti-aspartame propaganda is complete hogwash. Like many urban legends you'll find quotes from people who don't exist and results of studies that were never done. Check the snopes or other debunker sites for explanations of the debunking. For example, they say that aspartame breaks down into formaldehyde, technically true, but so do many 100% natural foods (I think bananas were the example given). The amounts are miniscule and completely normal.

I'm not saying that some people don't have adverse reactions to the stuff. And whether it's aspartame or strawberries, if something makes you sick, or you're very suspicious or opposed to it, don't eat it.

Some believe that the warning on the label for people with PKU, warning them of phenylalanine in the aspartame started all the scare. Phenylalanine sounds all "chemically" but it is a natural substance people with PKU cannot break down. PKU is an inherited metabolic condition and is tested for at birth. It requires a very special diet until the brain has developed, and PKU women are advised to return to the diet while pregnant (apparently a very unpalatable diet, reported by those who've been on it to be one in which everything "good" is forbidden. Chocolate tops the list, I believe).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/249/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemyPuppies View Post
Very interesting about the milk & diet drinks... I had heard that about diet drinks w/ aspertame b4, but chalked it up to viscious rumors b/c I can't bare the thought of having to stop drinking diet mt. dew or diet pepsi
my dad had this same problem... he ended up trying diet rite without aspertame... they have cola and raspberry flavor... the cola tastes just like diet pepsi... try it! its not bad. raspberry is my favorite
pinky109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/198/150

I now drink diet rite zero,mostly it started cuz it has no sodium.
It could be another urban legend,just found it interesting.I'd also heard that some shampoos have the same ingredients as antifreeze,somebody will always have something to say about something.
beliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #7  
banned

i dont kbnow about the natural fat blocking thing, but i do know that the calcium prevents calcitol in the body, and that the cla and carnitine aid in fat loss
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #8  

Here is an interesting article on calcium and weight loss:

http://www.cure-guide.com/Natural_He...ight_Loss.html

I second Kaplods post about aspartane
caitbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #9  

I just came across this thread and read that link caitbeans provided.... And I found it interesting that those in the study group who were the dairy-eaters and lost 70% more weight than those on a 'weight-loss diet' (wonder what that was?) were eating whole milk products.

I've also heard that a diet too low in fat can stall WL, since the body needs fat to function. I wonder how much of the weight loss is directly attributable to the calcitriol, and how much from the increased fat intake? The people on the regular WL diet were presumably following a fat-restricted plan, right?

Hrm...
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 186/175.5/160

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky109 View Post
my dad had this same problem... he ended up trying diet rite without aspertame... they have cola and raspberry flavor... the cola tastes just like diet pepsi... try it! its not bad. raspberry is my favorite
awesome! thanks for the suggestion.. I'm always looking for new stuff to try
LovemyPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #11  

Along these lines -- I learned a very important lesson today. I was a hugh soda drinker (2 liters of diet pepsi per day) until the caffeine caused my blood pressure to go sky high as well as I swore it made me hungry (had trouble figuring that one out ).

But, my little accidental experiment proved it to me -- I started WW a week ago Monday -- gave up soda completely for water and lost 7.4 pounds the first week (without any hugh cravings or too much hunger) -- yesterday after my weigh in I bought some diet pepsi (caffeine free diet as well as regular diet) -- I drank way too much of it yesterday and today and have been starving since yesterday -- to the point I've already used all my extra points for the week -- bye, bye soda -- whether it's "proven" or not, diet soda makes me hungry!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:04 AM   #12  

I've been trying to cut the diet soda out, but I need my caffiene.
caitbeans is offline   Reply With Quote