Old 03-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 299/268/145

Height: 5'4

Default rapid out of control weight gain.

I've gained 7 pounds in a 3 weeks including 2 this week alone. I'm very close to giving up on eating right and exercising if all I'm going to see is a gain. I've upped my exercise routine to nightly this week yet have been up on the scale every day including a pound this morning. My pants are feeling tight. Out of the 20 pounds I've gained in the last year 7 have been this month. I started out just to lose 13 pounds originally and now I've gained 7.

January I managed to get down from a start of 233 to 229. February was a bad month but for the first half I managed to maintain at 229 even though I wasn't exercising. I'm a senior in university and exhausted from full time classes, working full time and doing an internship which was why I had gained weight to being with. Then my period came in february and I gained 5 pounds which did not go away after my period ended. The week after I stopped taking birth control pills hoping that would help. I started exercising again this week and increased my exercise from what it was before. I've had a good week diet and exercise wise yet every morning I am up another half pound. I've gained 2.5 this week from 234 to 236.5. I was 235.5 yesterday so another pound over night. I'm eating right, watching my carbs and calories, drinking plenty of water and exercising for at least 30 minutes a night. My pants are starting to feel tight. I've taken at least three pregnancy tests even though my boyfriend's had a vasectomy and the likelihood of my being pregnant is slim and all have been negative.

I don't even feel like I deserve to have a bowl of oatmeal this morning. Always before exercising like this at least helped maintain a weight never a gain. I've never gained this rapidly before either. I'm scared right now that I'm going to be 240 by Monday and t hat there is no way to prevent it.

I'm devastated and in tears. I wasn't expecting a loss right away but not a 2 pound gain in a week w here I've been trying to do everything right. On top of the 5 pound gain last month it's just too much.
Kierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #2  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

Don't give up Kierra! Keep going for a few more weeks and see what happens. I know it's hard and I also had a solid 3 weeks of gain to lose it all in one week while remaining consistent. I encourage you to keep going! What plan are you following? How many calories are you eating? With daily exercise it could be water weight (water can be retained to help muscle repair). Maybe that explains a gain after not exercising. Plus with your recent period your body can be hanging on to the water weight we all get sometimes. There are lots of great people here who can probably help. Hope to see you stick around here it's a valuable tool for me.

Last edited by Gela; 03-07-2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: add
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:21 AM   #3  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

This must be upsetting for you. However, I promise you - I PROMISE YOU - something is not working... you can see this yourself. With all that exercise, are you keeping strict track of your calorie intake? It is very VERY easy to eat far more than you think you are.

If you ARE tracking your calories faithfully, and you KNOW you aren't eating more than X amount per day, it's time to get thee to the doctor - that much weight gain that quickly is not normal. Perhaps something is off - your thyroid, or something else.

But do be sure that you haven't been 'slipping in' even an apple here or there, thinking: "Well, it's fruit, it's healthy!" I used to do this, and discovered to my shock that I was eating more than 500 calories a day in what I thought was good food - well, it was good food, but you see my point.

Hang in there, and take steps to find out what's happening - track your calories for a week, faithfully, if you haven't been, or go to your doctor if you have.

Good luck!

Last edited by HeatherAngel; 03-07-2008 at 09:22 AM.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

It can be so frustrating when you know you're doing all the right things to lose weight and it just isn't coming off or coming back on. The worst thing you can do is to give up. Angela and Heather both gave you some great advice. It may be time to tweak your plan if it's not working.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #5  

Height: 5' 8"

Don't panic just yet and absolutely don't give up! HeatherAngel and Gela made great suggestions and observations and there are a couple of other things to consider. You just recently went off the pill - anytime you change a routine like that, it takes some time for your body to stabalize and get any residual medication flushed away. You also might want to take a look at exactly what you are eating. You have a very busy schedule so you might be grabbing convenience foods. Some people do well just watching their calorie intake but some of us have to be careful where those calories are coming from. I am a little riper (read: old ) than you so my system is probably different, but for me to lose I have to have more calories but they have to come more from whole foods. If I have 1200 to 1400 calories worth of fruits, veggies, fish and chicken the scale just keeps on chugging in the right direction but 1200 calories of fast food and I gain no matter how much I exercise. I also found that (better sit down) artificial sweeteners blow me up like a water baloon. If you drink a lot of diet soda or anything that claims to be "light" you might want to check the ingredients and try cutting back on them for a couple of weeks to see if it helps.

And try to remember, any plan whether it be weight loss or a vacation usually takes some tweaking to get it just right. So, once again - Do Not Give Up!
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #6  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Don't give up and I totally understand the frustration. First, you might want to see your doctor to rule out any issues. Also with regular exercising there's an initial weight gain cuz of muscle gain but then the weight will start dropping. And it's very important to keep track of how much calories you're taking in every day. Maybe keep a daily journal of what you're eating each day. Eat small meals every few hours to get your metabolism going. Don't give up!!!
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

This must be incredibly frustrating! Let's all get this figured out together. With time, with patience and determination you will get past this!

First of all, giving up is not going to make the pounds go away. In fact, it's likely that you'd gain it all back and then some. There IS NO QUITTING! Enough of the tough stuff...

So now:

What exactly are you eating during this time? Are you calorie counting? Are you making sure to write EVERYTHING down? Please give us a typical day Maybe we'll have some suggestions.

You've just changed your medication routine. As mentioned, our bodies need to adjust to that, and sometimes it means they will do strange things like gain a couple of pounds.

Please push the "derserving/undeserving" thoughts away from your mind. There is no derserving or not deserving breakfast. Everyone deserves to eat to live. It's only when we start "deserving" 3 pieces of cheesecake a day that we need to look at what we're really getting into.

Unfortunately, with rapid weight gain, there is a chance of a possible medical condition. (And unfortunately though the internet we wouldn't know what that could be.) So, if you continue to feel strange & gain after trying a few things I would urge you to see a doctor about it.

So, give us those examples... let us see if we can help point you in the right direction. I promise you... giving up is not the right direction.

Last edited by Lovely; 03-07-2008 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Spellin'
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:21 PM   #8  

Location: I live in far west Texas - and I love that good ol' southern hospitality and good ol' southern food!

S/C/G: 255/227.4/150

Height: 5'7"

Kierra,
First of all, I do understand your frustration. I recently put on 4 pounds in 2 days and it isn't TOM and I was counting my calories - but I was also estimating rather than measuring amounts. I have found if I can't measure the food, I am not very good at estimating. If I don't measure, I don't lose. Also, I have discovered (through thedailyplate.com) that I sometimes have lots of sodium - not something I ever gave much thought. When I have 160% of the sodium recommended, I look like a toad! I think if I were in your shoes, I would spend a week measuring everything I ate, checking the sodium, and if I didn't see weight loss in that week, I would get me to the doctor. In the meantime - love yourself for trying! You'll get it going in the right direction!
chunkydunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:14 AM   #9  

Height: 5'5"

Can you stay away from the scale for a bit and perhaps just measure your waistline? that seems to help me a lot, cause the scales go up and down but the waist is a pretty consistent way to tell if you're toning up?
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:32 AM   #10  

I have this problem too.
Several years ago I gained 40 pounds in 3 months and I still to this day can't really explain it. I've tried in the years since to lose weight and I've found it damn near impossible. I KNOW there is a reason behind my tendency to gain rapidly and lose slowly - I just haven't found it yet.
Good luck to you.
hotmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:55 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 263/243/150

Height: 5"6'

I don't have any new suggestions. These guys have given you such wonderful advice already. I just wanted to say that I hope you get it figured out soon and please please don't give up. You can do this!
joylove26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #12  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

I want some clarification from your post. If i read it correctly, you have only been eating and right and exercising for one week. Is that correct? If so, you really can't expect any results in one week. The weight gain for the week could be water, could be muscle. It could be all kinds of things. The one guaranteed thing is that if you don't try, you will gain some more. It's a whole lot easier to gain then to lose. Remember that. It's not going to be easy.

Also to better help you, we need more details on your diet. Are you watching carbs and calorie counting at the same time? If so, how much of each are you allowing every day? What kind of exercise are you doing? What are you using for estimating the calories in your food and do you have a food scale? The more specific your plan is the more success you can have. Don't give up, just tighten up that plan! And stick with it for a lot longer than you have, it doesn't work quickly.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #13  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm with the others - now is not the time to give up. Now is the time to figure out what is going on. For that - we need deatils on your food intake. Have you tried logging what you eat? I know you are hecka busy - but for your own sanity at this point I really think it could be key to the whole thing. Fitday.com is free to set up an account...or just writing it down in a notebook and using a book like calorie king. You need to be measuring so you know exactly what a portion is...

We hear your frustration - you are not alone!

Quote:
Please push the "derserving/undeserving" thoughts away from your mind. There is no derserving or not deserving breakfast. Everyone deserves to eat to live. It's only when we start "deserving" 3 pieces of cheesecake a day that we need to look at what we're really getting into.
This cannot be stressed enough.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #14  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Kierra, don't give up! There are answers for your situation. It just might take a bit of detective work to find them. Are you tracking your calorie intake? I know how easy it is to overeat on healthy foods. If you're not exceeding your calorie limit and are still gaining, there might be something hormonal going on here. For most people, weight loss is a simple equation of calories consumed versus calories expended. However, there are some people that have hormonal issues that make their bodies work differently...ie, insulin resistance, thryoid issues, female hormone issues, etc. If your calories are in-line for weight loss, then it is definitely time to visit the doctor. If your doctor turns out to be like my first one and offers the solution of diet pill or appetite suppresants, find another doctor! There are sometimes underlying health issues that prevent weight loss, however, it will take a doctor who is willing to dig deep to help you find your answers.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/166.8/160

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kierra View Post
The week after I stopped taking birth control pills hoping that would help.
This might be your issue. When I went off the pill my weight went a little crazy even though I was doing everything else the same. It stabilized after a month or so. The pimple explosion that occurred on my face, however, took 4 months or more to get under control.

Don't give up! You CAN do this.
AmberD is offline   Reply With Quote