Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 08:12 PM   #1  
Simple is Good!

S/C/G: 345/323.6/299

Height: 5'6"

Default Green tea?

Is this just a scam/fad? I heard that green tea will help speed up your metabolism- true or false?
Old 05-27-2002, 09:04 AM   #2  

Default False!

Green tea is OK to drink though, because it contains a lot of antioxidants.
You could change 2 glasses of water for 2 big cups of green tea a day.

Try to get the green tea that's not in bags but that comes in packets (it's better quality).

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2002, 11:12 AM   #3  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Height: 5'7"

I read in Self that drinking something like seven cups of green tea will help you burn about 7% more calories than without. That doesn't seem like an awful lot to me.

Besides that, there are different KINDS of green tea. There is the ACTUAL green tea that even LOOKS green when brewed which, in my opinion, tastes AWFUL and smells worse. Then there is the Americanized version that is amber coloured when brewed and tastes rather like plain ol' tea. It has basicly NONE of the benefits of actual green tea. Frankly, I don't care if green tea ws THE weight loss magic drug we've all been waiting for...actual green tea is nasty.

The above poster is right about the loose leaf variety, it is usuall a better quality of actual green tea. Go to any good coffee house and ask for hot green tea. Try it before you decide to commit to it.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:43 AM   #4  

Default I like it

Just to confuse everyone! I actually like green tea, but you have to brew it right, otherwise it is like black tea steeped for an hour.

Green tea needs only 30 seconds to steep. It has or should have a very delicate flavour.

I have no idea whether it has any health benefits. I don't notice any assistence with weight loss, but I don't drink the 6 cups a day that many studies use. I do have a terrific immune system, (don't get colds, or the flu) but that may be just me or other life style choices (like not smoking and regular exercise)

Drink what you like - if you hate something, you are never going to make it a life time strategy.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:33 AM   #5  

I totally agree with Marshmellow. I started drinking one cup of tea every morning, and honestly, I just like how I feel afterwards. But as far as weight loss goes- I doubt it has any effect. Also, I alternate teas, either herbal or green, just so I don't get sick of them all, so I wouldn't know about weight loss effects, but, pardon my frankness, it have me go to the bathroom more regularly, which is a good thing for me...
Anyway, g'luck!
Sunny
Closed Thread