Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #1  
Goth Bunny

Question Huffing and Puffing Past Midnight

Hi! I'm new here, and there's this question that's been bothering me for quite a while: Does it matter what time I exercise? I've started a pretty active lifestyle (lots of dancing, housework, active hobbies) but I really enjoy doing my cardio/weight training really late, like at 1 or 2 am...Is that a bad thing?
backrowreject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #2  
Don't Take Away My Cheese

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Wow! I really like your profile pic! I think as long as you're on a consistent sleep schedule and getting appropriate amounts of it, it doesn't matter when you do things. Except I find exercising before bed doesn't help me sleep any better.
FriendlysRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Bottom line is always that the best time to exercise is when you will do it consistently.

While I have seen some claims that certain times of day are more optimal than others, I think they do not give enough weight to differences in individual circadian rythms and are making sweeping generalizations with claims that are not definitive in the first place.

If your body is telling you that this is the best time for you to work out, then it most probably is for you from a physilogical standpoint. And if it is the time that you will work out consistently, then it is definitely is from a practical standpoint.

As long as this is not interfering with your getting a proper amount of sleep, then huff and puff away IMO.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:57 AM   #4  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

It doesn't matter, a calorie is a calorie. The only think I would think of, is if you are getting a nice sleep pattern, like from even if it is from 3-10 every day.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:44 AM   #5  

I have also read some stuff about it being better at certain times, but this research was done in laborotory circumstances as far as i can remeber. I bet that in the real world, the differences are probabley insignificant and that the best thing is to do it when it fits you. After all, it is like depalma says, the thing that counts here is doing them on a regular basis. And this is much easier if you can fit them into your lifestyle.

Good luck,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 223/217/150

Height: 5'6

I don't think it really makes that much of a difference when you exercise, so long as you exercise.

I've heard quite a few theories on when the best time is - from morning to night, depending on which article you're reading... So I just figure whatever time is best for your schedule. After all, if you're exercising when you're in the mood, and not when it's prescribed, you're more likely to do it!

But, as it's been said before, just make sure your getting adequate sleep!
BlueDrgnfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

It's more important to make it a habit & keep at it consistently than anything else. I know a lot of people prefer mornings 'cause they find exercise so invigorating & it's a time that is easier to keep for them but that has never worked for me. And quite frankly I sleep insanely well right after a tough workout.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote