Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default I want to do a pushup!

I want to be able to do a REAL pushup. ...I feel like I'm never going to reach this goal. I did some modified "pushups" last night...and I hurt so bad today!

Any suggestions...or experiences anyone wants to share?
mxgirl737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #2  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm working toward the same goal! Just keep at it! Keep lowering your incline over time until you're on the floor and can do it I take a cardio kickboxing class twice a week, and lately doing 8 pushups is part of the routine. I can't do them properly yet--I get get about half way down, but no further than that. So I do 8 "half" push-ups; I refuse to do "girl" pushups on my knees--so when I can't use an incline, I do the "half" ones. I have to say, I'm improving! I couldn't even do "half" ones a few months ago.

We ladies have much stronger lower bodies than upper bodies, so we're not naturals at doing push-ups or pull-ups Keep at it and you'll get there. Real pushups and real pull-ups are two of my fitness goals!
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #3  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

I'm with you on that goal! I can't do one on the floor yet, either, but what I've heard is that it's good to start on an incline, as Azure mentioned.

So, you can start with doing them on a wall, or a dresser, something like that. Gradually, you'll get stronger, and can use a lower and lower angle, like the back of a couch, or the seat of a kitchen chair, and then probably you'll be able to do them on the floor. Starting with an angle takes some of the weight off your arms, so you will have to experiment to find where to start.

I started on the wall, and now can do them at about a 45 degree angle. I figure I'll keep on with that for another week, because it's getting easier, then try something lower, like a chair. We'll get there, if we just keep trying!

I can't stand the knee pushups myself, because my old knees just think that is torture!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Knee push-ups aren't a bad thing to do and will also help get you to your goal of doing real push-ups. I did knee push-ups until I could do real ones. Until you can do the real ones, I think there's a place for both the incline push-ups and the knee push-ups in your routine. It's good to mix things up.

Ahh--the elusive pull-up...I can do around 20 real push-ups (and sometimes even do push-ups with my feet elevated) but I still can't do a body-weight pull-up or a body weight tricep dip.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

Knee push-ups work. I did knee push-ups for a few months. And yesterday, I managed to do one whole regular push up!!!!! My first one! I was so proud - I've never done one before. I can do 30 knee push-ups, but holy crap, that regular one almost killed me!

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Me, too! I work out a lot and still can't do a regular push-up. I started doing bar pushups (using what I believe is a Smith machine) and have gotten down to the lowest possible bar. Now I wonder if it's a mental thing with me--going to have to give a real push-up a try next week just to see.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've been doing pushups on my stairs. I find incline pushups are a lot better than 'knee' pushups.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #8  

Now I'm curious and want to know. I was taught to do knee push-ups - they work for me and I don't have any problems with them (so far...). Are inclined ones better? Why/why not?

BP
Old 03-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

well it is a lot easier to cheat doing knee pushups. Also, it is a bigger transition to regular pushups from knee pushups. If you do incline pushups, it is easier to adjust your incline to build up to regular pushups.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #10  

Knee pushups are fine if you have the proper form. You back should be in a straight line meaning your butt is not up too high or sinking down.

I do knee pushups on the floor and with the bosu ball flipped upside down. If I go to yoga class I do the yoga variation where you try to get down to an inch above the floor and hold.

Last edited by MissGiggles; 03-07-2008 at 09:22 PM.
MissGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:54 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
well it is a lot easier to cheat doing knee pushups. Also, it is a bigger transition to regular pushups from knee pushups. If you do incline pushups, it is easier to adjust your incline to build up to regular pushups.
Ah, I see, thanks. Hmmm... I know my form is good, but I did notice that transition was a real killer, as you say! One regular pushup nearly killed me I'll try a few inclined ones and see if I can work up from there.

BP
Old 03-08-2008, 01:42 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

This is just too funny that I looked at this forum today. I have never looked at this forum before.

Wednesday I did a strength class as the gym called Boot Camp. Everyone else, all women BTW, was told to do 20-30 push ups. And they did! Since I was new, I was told to do what I could. I did one. When I tried to do another, I couldn't even make it all the way up. How pitiful. I'm a mother. Do you know how much lifting, tugging, pulling and pushing I have to do? I thought I was stronger than that.

But I will keep trying. And I will start doing incline push ups at home, where no one can see.

Last edited by sylvia78; 03-08-2008 at 01:42 AM.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:17 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I started a boot camp program in July last year and couldn't for the life of me even manage one push up lol.

By the end of the program I was able to do about 25 "real" ones - on the toes and right down and another 20 on my knees in our "how many can you do in a minute" test lol

I started doing the Pump class at the gym and now I can about 40 and sometimes a few more on my toes in that same minute ...it's just patience and perserverence!
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:14 AM   #14  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

I stopped doing the knee ones when I heard an interview with Alwyn Cosgrove (and one with his wife)--I can't remember whether it was he or his wife Rachel, but I do know it was one of them--who said that they don't allow women in their gym to do "girl pushups"! If the Cosgroves don't do it with their clients, I'm willing to skip them, too
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #15  
diamondgeog

Some very good articles on push-ups at nytimes dot com. Check the health section. Nytimes registration is free and you get a lot of good health articles on it. Highly recommend it in general.