Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #1  
Journey to New Self!

S/C/G: 287/272/268

Default What to do when we feel hopeless and Depressed

This year I've been struggling with staying hopeful. It seems like everything I want is so far away, I usually blame myself for not being who I want to be NOW, and feel guilty and ashamed for who I am NOW. I start to feel hopeless like its not meant for me to have what I feel I deserve or what I want, and my reasoning for not having it is because of my size (so I think). I know that people do judge and I know that size does limit your abilities when it comes to others (or does it). Or is it how we view it? I know a few very confident overweight people, I'm not one of them. Its so easy for people to say (very encouragingly) "accept the skin you're in" but I've been this way most of my life and I long to be accepted the way I know I can, and just be my true self with out second guessing if my size would be looked at instead of my talents/interests. I have a lot to offer, but somethings holding me back at times...my poor self concept. What can we all do to uplift each other when we feel down and hopeless as I've been feeling these past couple months? I hope this post will enable us to get things out (our thoughts) so we can discuss them and OVERCOME them. We have it in us to bring out our true inner beauty and accept ourselves while feeling good about our progress. It just gets hard sometimes when you feel these things and feel that you can't relate to anyone around u (physically or mentally). So please! post ur thoughts suggestions, experiences, etc! It helps
whitlockdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #2  
LisaD219

Height: 5'6

Default I understand how you feel

... please hang in there. I know exactly how you feel. Honestly, I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning. My weekends are sometimes spent crawling in and out of bed because I have ZERO energy (from being so down and depressed.) I actually just posted the other day because I am so tired of being alone and single, not having a social life and not feeling pretty and noticed. I got some great responses from my post from those who believe people are drawn to positive people and I agree with that. I am actually a positive person on the outside (at work etc), but inside I am dying. I know being a fitter and healthier "me" will make a huge difference because that has been the root of my depression. I don't know where you are in VA, but I just joined a great gym that is brand new. I have gone everyday since Saturday and tracked my calories (1600-1800.) I have found the key is to keep moving and not starve yourself...

Hang in there.
LisaD219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #3  
Journey to New Self!

thanks LisaD219, i'll continue to hang in there.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #4  
Jonatán j'te aime

S/C/G: 210/206/150

Height: 62"

We need to take baby steps Whitlockdj. Take a little step at a time and not get overwhelmed with trying to get everying in order at once

We need to encourage each other and know that we are here for one another.

Huggies sweety
mariquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #5  
Journey to New Self!

i agree mariquita. i'm trying to learn to not beat myself up when i feel i've failed at something, and THATS why i'm not giving up! im still gonna go to the gym, and i'm gonna improve my eating habits to get this weight off!!
Old 03-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #6  
LisaD219

Default Good for you!

... and know that you don't have to be perfect. The weight will come off. Even if it's a little at a time. Just go by how eating right and excercising makes you feel and that will be a big motivator for you
Old 03-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #7  
Journey to New Self!

yea..that something I've starting doing too. I dont count reps when I'm strength training I just do them until I can't take the burn anymore! feels good!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #8  
LisaD219

Default Hang in there!

Yeah I know the feeling... I have gone from doing 12 minutes on the Elliptical just 6 days ago to now doing 23!!! It's strange that I look forward to going to the gym... I never thought that would happen. You just have to find something you enjoy, but it sounds like you are doing a great job! Just hang in there...
Old 03-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #9  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I have to say push through and keep going! Working out, i have found, is such a good medication for my depression/anxiety. I feel so freakin' awesome after a workout. I am entirely addicted to these endorphins.

It's taken me awhile to really find what i enjoy at the gym... what really gets me pumped are classes. I find them really motivating and uplifting. If i can't make it to the gym during a class i do, then i hop on the treadmill or elliptical and listen to an inspiring podcast (like Jillian Michaels).

You can get through this downtime Whitlock!
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #10  
Journey to New Self!

Yea when i'm at the gym i'm so pumped after the eliptical too LisaD21!! I started off at 15 mintes now I stay on for at least 20 mintues. One time I stayed on there almost 40 minutes! That was a good day for me. I've only been to the gym once this week I've been dealing with a little stress and anxiety big time this week, so I opt to take a break from the gym and relax. I'm from Richmond too DaisyNicole. I'm a member of Victory Lady gym, and I go to the one in the West End close to my job. Yea the classes they have do seem motivating. I haven't joined in on one yet though. I sometimes watch the women while I'm strength training since its right across. There before & after book is motivating too. I just don't want this depression and obsession thing to overcome me. I just need to continue to do the things that make me happy the most and not magnify flaws and shortcoming so much. It holds me back. School right now is a big stressor on top of things, but it wont be for long. Come May, I'll have a bit of a break!! I'm taking baby steps taking it day by day. Continue to be encouraged ladies! :hugs: