Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Cooking on a diet with the whole family in mind

So I'm trying to watch my calories. Problem is I have a picky 1-year-old daughter and a guy who frowns upon anything light or reduced-fat. The only thing I can successfully make for the 3 of us is shake and bake. I'm really running out of ideas for healthy meals the 3 of us can all eat.

Any ideas?
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

Chicken, pork, fish all seasoned however you like. Veggies of any kind for the most part. Your hunny can soak them in butter on his plate instead of doing it in the pan. Whole grain rice/bread. This is a good time to teach your daughter GOOD eating habits and not let her get away with mac&cheese 3x a day. It can be difficult but all kiddos need to learn to eat healthy food.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Soups, chilis, stir fries, healthy pizza (whole wheat crust and you can segment the pizza with different toppings, I put spinach and low fat feta on my half, boyfriend gets cheese and pepperoni), quesadillas (make the filling and then everyone can put their own cheese, so you can use low fat and as much/little as you want), there are tons of delicious non shake/bake healthy fish recipes - I love my maple salmon recipe, pasta with marinara sauce (healthy sauce is really fast/easy to make from scratch, you can put only the amount of pasta you want on your own plate, and then heap it with healthy sauce - I bulk mine up with veggies by putting a layer of spinach leaves under my pasta). Tacos are good - you can crumble up a boca burger for your filling and use a tiny sprinkle of cheese, I also make an awesome bbq chicken salad that is a big hit.

In my opinion though, you should really sit down with your guy and tell him you need his support. If he's going be unsupportive and derail your progress, he can always make his own dinner. What are you - a short order cook? Everyone can benefit from healthier meals, even if they are a perfect weight.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
In my opinion though, you should really sit down with your guy and tell him you need his support. If he's going be unsupportive and derail your progress, he can always make his own dinner. What are you - a short order cook? Everyone can benefit from healthier meals, even if they are a perfect weight.
He thinks my dieting is stupid, even though I'm about 30 lbs heavier than when we met. I've tried to sneak in 2% cheese and lite sour cream on him. As soon as he sees the label (and he always does) he refuses to eat it.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedLedZepFan View Post
He thinks my dieting is stupid, even though I'm about 30 lbs heavier than when we met. I've tried to sneak in 2% cheese and lite sour cream on him. As soon as he sees the label (and he always does) he refuses to eat it.
Now there's a problem. This might suck, but you're going to have to tell him to support you the way you need to be supported. Telling you that he thinks your healthier eating & exercising is stupid is... well... stupid.

I've never found a huge difference in taste between the 2% dairy products & the "whole" dairy. It's really a shame he won't even try them.

Could you maybe hold onto a "whole" container once it's finished & then dump the contents of the lesser fat variety into it?

You may never change his mind, so you might have to change your habits. Fine. If he wants whole, he gets whole. You'll buy yourself the 2% (or less!).

I hope that you can explain to him that this is very important to you, and that him being unsupportive is only going to hurt you.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #6  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Perhaps a little innapropriate...;)

I have to be a little creative as well with my family. I have a picky 15 year old daughter (who should know better, but looking at my food habits over the last 15 years...I sure didn't teach her well) and a SO that is 6' and 165lbs! He needs a minimum of 2500 calories a day so...

Favorite Dinners are:

BBQ Steak or Chicken (he eats 8-10oz to my 3-4oz) and baked potatoes (I always have sweet pots or yams to their white pots) and lots of veggies (luckily they both eat their veggies no problem)

Spagetti w/ meatsauce - I only have about 2oz of noodles (before cooking) and they have more. I also make salad and cheese toast (my toast is 1/2 whole wheat bun w/ a couple of sprays of ICBINB, some garlic powder and 1oz grated lowfat cheese) and theirs is heaped with the same cheese with margarine and garlic.

Broiled Chicken/Steak - again their portions are much bigger with rice (I eat brown, they eat white - they just won't go with the brown) and roasted veggies

See the meals are fairly easy...but a lot of it is about portions and such. I do take the low-fat cheese out of its packaging as soon as I get home and put it into a ziplock bag (I tell them it stays fresher) and when I visit the deli counter I get the non-fat turkey and ham instead of regular. I do buy low fat and full fat products (sour cream, yogurt, salad dressing) so that they don't have to eat the low fat (although my daughter will, but SO actually needs the fat/calories). I hide a lot of foods too. I'll steam and then puree all kinds of veggies and put them in sauces, casseroles and so on. They don't know they're there, but then they get double servings! LOL That's a good trick for your little one.

I do think it's important to talk to your SO and let him know that through this journey not only will you lose the weight you don't like carrying but you'll be healthier and just feel better about yourself in general. My SO loves me no matter my weight...but he also knows that there are some very big advantages to my feeling better about my body...specially in the bedroom...if ya get what I mean...LOL

In all of my training for behaviour modification...positive reinforcement is the best tool! If there is something in it for him that he likes...you'll be amazed at how easily he may bend to your will. Haha! I have a friend that flashed her BF every time he brought her flowers or something...it was amazing. He was always bringing home some wonderful little trinket or a single extravagant chocolate...or whatever. Now don't get me wrong...I'm not saying you need to do that, but find something that he loves, something that drives him and use that as a reward for just making some healthier choices. Maybe it's a big slice of chocolate cake or a neck massage or whatever turns his crank.
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

tleef, so that's why my bf never brings me flowers! I'll try your friend's trick next time...
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I think you need to tell your BF that this is important to you and that it matters a lot and you need him on your side. And if he doesn't like the fat reduced stuff, why not do without it all together? Use vinegars, lemon, herbs, chicken broth to cook/season your food with

The food I cook is good enough for anyone to eat. Kids, men and even guests. It did take a while though for my family to get used to this new lifestyle and the new way of eating. But get used to it they did. They love the foods that I make.

-Chicken shish kabobs
-Roasted chicken smothered in onions and lots of herbs
-Sweet potato fries
-Maple & Cinnamon Acorn squash
-Chicken with spinach and mushrooms in a garlic/lemon sauce
-Chicken Taco Salad
-Chicken stir fry with lots of veggies in a chinese style sauce
-Chicken and portobello mushrooms with Marinara sauce and Spaghetti squash
-Butternut squash soup
-Red Lentil Soup
-Spinach salad with mango and strawberry

I agree that everyone in your household would benfit from healthy cooking, not just you. What a wonderful thing to teach your DD. Healthy cooking does not and SHOULD not taste awful. I never would have stuck with this lifestyle if I didn't love what I was eating. It does take time though to find foods that you love. Experiment with different veggies and different cooking methods. Tweak your current favorites. Search the internet for healthy recipes. There's tons out there.

Here's a GREAT thread from the 100 lb club. It has over 100 chicken recipes:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...o+make+chicken

Check it out, you won't be disappointed. Hungry, yes. Disappointed, no.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-07-2008 at 04:49 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

ITA with the others. I was on here a year ago barking about boobalah and his non support. After he saw some of my clothes hanging on me and hearing people comment, he started coming around.

Support is so very important. He can't continue to be so selfish and expect your relationship to grow in a healthy way.

As for your munchkin, ITA with the others here, too. Now is the time to teach good eating habits. She won't starve if you start giving her some heathy choices. She'll start eating.

Good luck.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote