Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-06-2008, 03:16 AM   #1  

Default calorie restriction

Is this healthy? Eat only when your stomach growls and only eat to you're content. I'm not sure how many calories this would be a day, probably very few.
Chubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

Eating every 3 hours or so keeps your metabolism up and running. It is all about the proper foods and the proper timing. Protein burns more calories just digesting it than fat or carbs. You need a variety of foods for good health.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:36 AM   #3  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
Is this healthy? Eat only when your stomach growls and only eat to you're content. I'm not sure how many calories this would be a day, probably very few.
I agree with Sharon's advice, plus if I ate this way, I would eat double the amount of calories that I need to maintain my weight. Some of us can't rely on our appetites as a guide for weight loss.

How about a nutrition plan that keeps track of how much you're actually eating, like calorie counting? Then there's no guessing whether it's too little or too much food for weight loss.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
Calorie restriction IS what it takes to lose weight. Creating a calorie DEFICIT that is. Consuming less food (calories) that we burn so that our stored fat is used up.

IMO, I think a better plan is needed then just simply relying on when your stomach growls ALONE. Eating only when my stomach growls is a recipe for disaster for me. I would without a doubt overdo the calories when I did finally eat and I would not STICK with a sensible plan that way. I do my best to AVOID that hungry feeling. I eat very frequently, usually every 2 hours or so. I eat low calorie, highly nutritious, satisfying foods. The low fat proteins, veggies and fruits. And yup, I count my calories. I need to track them or I can easily go overboard, thus not allowing me to create that deficit.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-06-2008 at 08:03 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

That kind of sounds like Intuitive Eating, there is a weekly support thread in the General Plans section:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135811

It doesn't work for me (since I am a boredom eater and have no problems snacking when I'm not hungry) but a lot of people think it's awesome - check it out. I would definitely make sure you are eating ENOUGH every day, I don't think a goal to eat "very few" calories a day sounds very healthy. Remember - healthy is #1 goal!!!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I'll chime in too... I can't eat when I'm hungry, or I'd be eating right now! I just can't trust that signal -- I had a good lunch an hour and a half ago! Perhaps some people can trust it, but not me!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #7  
Journey to New Self!

S/C/G: 287/272/268

i've just started calorie counting this week, and man is it hard! but it makes sense. i notice i do feel more hungry like i need to eat more, but from going to different websites in order to burn calories to lose weight for me i need to eat a max of about 1400 cals. so...its a day to day thing. to find information on calorie counting just google it. fitday.com and calorieking are good tools. i also much on yogurt in between meals (i just started this new habit today). lets see how long it lasts.
whitlockdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If I waited until I was so hungry my stomach was growling I would most likely eat 3 times as much as I normally do. I eat at regular times every day and eat about every 3 hours. 3 meals and 3 snacks.Most importantly I count calories to be sure I am not eating more than I need.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #9  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Eating when my stomach growls is how i ended up overweight in the first place!!

I am a firm believer in eating small meals or snacks all day to add up to a caloric intake that is good for your activity level and metabolic needs.
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Eating only when you are hungry (vs/ boredome eating) is a good thing, but if you don't keep track of what you are eating, then it can be a disaster.

You can eat 3 cups of strawberries for 135 calories and get full...OR you can eat 3 cups of Ben & Jerry's, which would be well over any calorie counters daily limit for the day.

It isn't just about eating when you are hungry, but also about the food choices you make. A serving of pasta with marinara sauce can be about 300-400 calories and an equally sized serving of pasta with creamy alfredo sauce can be double that-because it is a cream and butter based sauce, not tomato.

This is why I try to eat when I am hungry (vs. boredom eating) but I also have to pay attention to WHAT I am eating, and the calories in that food.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote