Old 03-05-2008, 06:28 PM   #1  

Talking Hello Fellow Dieters Just Joined Today Thought Id Say Hi

Iv'e Been On Most Diets And I Find They Work If I Stick To Them However Will Power Isn't One Of My Stronger Character Traits So I Tend To Get Bored With Them Very Quickly Still Got To Lose About 3 Stones So Ive Got A Fare Way To Go. Anyone Any Good Tips On Motivation Keep Me Away From The Chinese Take Aways At The Weekend.
Louisew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Welcome to 3FC! What type of plan are you going to follow?
Making lifestyle changes is hard, but take small steps and you will get there!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/249/140

Height: 5'5"

Hello there, i just joined too. i'm excited to start blogging and talking with other people in my same situation. i have never blogged before so this is kinda new.
pinky109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Hi Louise

Many people have a similar problem with diets. They work, if we stick to them. But, often they are not sustainable for the long run. OR we don't realize that we have to stick with them forever.

Maybe you'd like to try making a small change this week, instead of diving head on into a diet? A small permanent change. Something like drinking all of your water? Or getting in all your fruits & veg? Or maybe even taking a short walk?

Motivation is a difficult thing, and I wish I could bottle it & give it away. But, motivation must come from within. I often find that it's a little overrated anyways Getting weight off & keeping it off takes commitment.

You can stay away from those Chinese restaurants! Keep on posting & let us know how you're doing and what you decide to do!

Best of success!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky109 View Post
Hello there, i just joined too. i'm excited to start blogging and talking with other people in my same situation. i have never blogged before so this is kinda new.
Hi Pinky , too!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:12 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

There are healthy things to eat in Chinese restaurants, unfortunately many of us go for the high calorie, breaded, sauced stuff. My two best friends are Asian, and like most Asians are quite slim. I think many of us just order the bad stuff when we go. You can get chicken with veggies and brown rice for example. Or fish.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to a great place for support!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW235 225/176.5/136

Height: 5'2

Hi and welcome
AndLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 AM   #9  
Losing the weight in 2008

S/C/G: 258/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Hello and welcome to the 3FC!
Healthy Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:35 AM   #10  

S/C/G: SW 268/ CW 202.4/ GW 150

Height: 5'1

Welcome
patchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:07 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi Louise and welcome to 3FC and the 100 lb club. A GREAT place to be!

Without a doubt finding something that we can indeed stick with LONGTERM is the big old key to weight loss success. Diets stop and start. We need something that continues, on and on and on. So therefore it is VITAL to find something that we can STICK with. It's all about forgetting the word "diet" and incorporating lifetime sustainable habits into our lives. Which means coming to the realization that we simply can not have it both ways. Yup. The high calorie/high quantity food has got to go. But there are lots of wonderful things to add - low fat proteins - such as chicken, turkey, cottage cheese, fat free yogurt, eggs, etc. Filling up on tons of veggies (finding new ones and new methods of cooking them, numerous salads, scrumptious fruits and grains.

As for the chinese food, well........ it just may be that you're better off without it for awhile. You can make your own chinese at home though. This way you know EXACTLY what's in there.

As for the motivation, I agree with Faerie, motivation comes and goes and is never around when we really need it. It's COMMITMENT that we need. You need and make that commitment, that no matter what, you are going to get and stay at a healthy weight. Once you make that commitment, losing weight IS doable and anyone, absolutely anyone CAN do it. I wish you tons of good luck.

And welcome to you too pinky109!

I look forward to knowing you both much better.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #12  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Louise!

Willpower is very overrated. You would have so much more success if you have great plans. How do you plan to eat each day? How do you plan to incorporate exercise into your weekly schedule? How do you plan to handle temptations when they arise? How do you plan to handle visits to a restaurant? I recommend that you plan your meals ahead of time and stock up on the healthy on-plan foods. Then, I would remove all of the junk food and trigger foods from your house, pack lunches, eat breakfast and have healthy dinners at home. For me, I find that eating out at a restaurant takes a very strong committment to staying on-plan and takes a lot of pre-planning regarding what I will order and what I will definitely not order. One other thing to keep in mind is that restaurants often have hidden calories...added fats, sugars, etc, that you might not be expecting. These high calorie foods can prevent a loss or actually make you gain when you think you're staying on-plan. Just some "food" for thought.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:49 AM   #13  

Height: 5'8"

I agree with the above posts and would like to comment on the hidden calorie in restaurant foods - a TURKEY sand at Chilis is 1050 calories. A THOUSAND calories for a turkey sand? I am still not quite over that...

My advice for motivation is to find what works for you...mini personal goals, reading success stories, hang a little bikini on your fridge - whatever - and revisit it often...very often, especially when you need a pick-me-up.

Good luck and !
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #14  
cecilia

S/C/G: 251.5

Height: 5ft7in

Welcome! Welcome!Welcome!I'm new to but let me tell you so far I'm loving it!!!The support is awsome and I dont feel like I'm doing this alone.Good luck !
cecilia is offline   Reply With Quote