Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #1  
Mel

Default Great (long) article on why to avoid machines

There have been lots of discussions here on the topic of machine training versus free weights and the value of multi-joint, multi-planar exercises. Although long, this article really sums up how all those machines became the standard way to work out in gyms, and why it's such a poor idea.

At the private club where I train, the most popular piece of "equipment" is the 30X30 foot rubber mat in the center of the facility. The long hallway is a close second. Every once in a while, one of the trainers will use a machine just to make the owner feel like he didn't waste too much money

If you don't want to read through the history of machine based training, skip to page 3. I found the whole article a great read!
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I like it. And they mentioned kettlebells

I know I used to love the machines but in recent years, I've become a bit wary of many of them. Obviously it makes more sense to use your body as part of your exercise rather than isolation and possibly moving your body in unnatural positions.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #3  
Meg

Great article, Mel! I hope you can sticky it or add it to one of the stickys. It's worth saving for future reference.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:25 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I also have to say I feel dumb, I had been looking for kettlebell training in my area but couldn't find any. I had looked at Crossfit's site before but failed to look for local affiliates. I found a (hardcore kick butt) gym not too far from here. It appears another will be opening soon.

Last edited by nelie; 03-05-2008 at 08:25 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #5  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I <3 kettlebells! I don't really use them exclusively--but when I do rows, I do kettlebell rows while standing in a braced position (I feel like I'm starting a lawnmower!). I feel like I get better full-body movement when I do them standing as opposed to on a bench I still use my DBs and my regular BBs--but kettlebells are fun--and cute
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #6  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Mel: Thanks for sharing this great article. Wow, they could have been describing the gyms I visited last month. The tone of the article really mimics my gut reaction to the rows and rows of isolation exercise equipment against the stark contrast of the free weight area set up as an afterthought. The guy just wanted to keep discussing on and on about their wonderful equipment selection. I kept thinking, "He really doesn't get this. He thinks I should be impressed with this and it is going to help make the sale." Okay, in all fairness three years ago, I would have been impressed. Since then I have done a lot of research and application and had pretty good result on my own. But most people will not have the luxury of that kind of time and commitment for all kinds of reasons. Someone like me would have benefited from a more functional style approach to fitness with guidance. But, that is expensive to staff and well, they are in the business to make money.

This article comes at a great time for me to share with a friend. She has just joined a new place and is interested in learning how to us the equipment. I shudder each time she refers to the word "machines." I can't wait to share this article with her along with the New Rules book of course.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

It's all starting to make so much sense now as to why in the late 80/90's I never really saw any results from my hours on the Nautilus machines and my dedication to the aerobics room. Low-impact was big, I was all over that, followed later in the 90s by step, as it was all better than the high-impact jarring variety. I lost weight but never saw a darn thing in terms of muscle development.

Last edited by sportmom; 03-05-2008 at 11:19 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:11 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Great article! I love the section regarding using the far corners of the gym. I'm constantly setting myself up in the empty aerobics room (bringing dumbbells with me for step-ups) or doing walking lunges between the rows of machines - lol!

I can't remember the last time I used a machine - unless you count the cable machine - that I touch almost every time!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:17 AM   #9  
Mel

I'm going to sticky this tonight, but lock the sticky thread. I don't want it to be a discussion thread like some of the other stickies. There is already a machine vs. free weight where a few folk still argue the point.

Glad you all liked it and that it was timely for you, Lydia!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:10 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Great Article

Great article, Mel,

Thanks for posting it.

I'm looking at how to improve my gym work and (e.g. am still doing Leg Extentions because I always have ). Time to rework my routines.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

BillBlueEyes, when I first started doing weights, I came here for help. I reported which leg machines I'd been using and asked how to improve my routine. Depalma pointed out that I was doing all my leg work *sitting down* and that perhaps this might be slightly counterintuitive. So, squats, deadlifts and lunges it is: working my legs, standing up, performing actual motions.

Last edited by baffled111; 03-06-2008 at 10:54 AM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Question Squats OK?

baffled111 Are squats OK for someone 64 years old?

Old 03-06-2008, 11:54 AM   #13  
Meg

Bill, Mel and I are both 53 and happily squatting away. Our Pat/WaterRat is a little older and still doing 'em. So long as you don't have knee issues that would get in the way, why not? Start off with no weight just to get the form down and slowly work up from there. And have fun -- squats are a great exercise!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I too like the idea of hiding out in corners of the gym, when I checked out a local one last month that's what I told the woman giving me a tour... "great there's places to hide out." In different periods of my life I've joined gyms and have rarely gone. I've done my best toning at home with dumbbells. Now I have a little boy and my time is limited so dumbbells are even more my friends then ever. I think a lot of going to gyms is about the social atmosphere and gyms competing with the most/best equipment. Can you imagine here we have four new gyms starting this year?
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Bill, Meg's right. I'm 63 and I do them - slowly and carefully, as I do have knee "issues." But they do lots more for me than other leg exercises. (I will issue a disclaimer that my physical therapist who I saw for 5 months in 07, had me doing one legged leg presses to "train" my bad knee. But he also had me doing lunges, squats, step-ups and leg lifts, oh and extensions using the cable machine. He was totally against the leg extension machines.) I also do HIIT on the elliptical (to eliminate the impact) and the second week of April I'm doing a week-long hiking trip in the Grand Canyon.

Horsey, no social aspect to a gym for me - I rarely speak to anyone unless it's someone I already know. I seldom take classes. I go in, do my workout, go home. Okay, sometimes I shower if I'm not going straight home.

Last edited by WaterRat; 03-06-2008 at 03:35 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote