Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #1  
diamondgeog

Default Should I be concerned, building safety wise, about putting an elliptical on 2nd floor

I am going to be having a 172lb elliptical delivered.

We want to put it on the second floor. Our house is new, built in 2005, and we trust the builder. I just wanted to know if the weight of the elliptical plus my weight at around 265lbs right now should concern us?

I know the weight will be spread out. Should I have any concerns? Friends say no.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

I definitely think there is no problem....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I also think there is no problem.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

SWEETIE ~ houses are built so that they can stand to hold thousands of pounds ... you definitely have nothing to be worried about!!!
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 148/142/120

Height: 5'NOTHING

Think of how much weight is in a bathtub. If you put 30 gallons in it at 8 lbs per gallon, that's 240 right there. No person. Your refrigerator is much heavier with all that food in it, plus it has a smaller "footprint" than the elliptical, so the weight isn't distributed over that far of a space.

The ellipticals are designed to spread the force of the weight evenly over the space it occupies, which means that each board that is under you only gets a portion (probably 3 boards). You might not like it because of the noise below, but I doubt you'd have a problem with the structure of your house.
FluffyK is offline   Reply With Quote