General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

Default Fitting it in

I'm wanting to get back on the bandwagon again. Because weight loss has been such a struggle for me for almost my entire life, I find that I now must remove the word "diet" from my mouth. This is because I have failed again and again and again from one diet to the next. I told myself that this year I'm removing the word and I'm replacing it with gain health.

In the past I have experienced several diet programs, mainly Weight Watchers. I have nothing against them except that the program didn't work for me. Personally, I think they're great and I know a lot of people who have been successful with them but for some reason I could never get or stay On Program. This only made me feel more of a failure and the frustration and denial set in stronger every time that losing weight would be something I couldn't do.

But, now, it's inevitable. I have to lose weight for my health. It's no longer just a vanity issue as it was when I was teenager. It's as if I don't love myself but in a way I do because I continue to want to and have never given up completely. I just need to find success.

All that said, since I haven't had the best experiences in the past with "dieting" my goal is to change my lifestyle but because I've been fed with SO much information in my life about "dieting" I actually am no longer clear on what I need to do. Except... calories in and calories out. Ugh! That means I have to exercise, doesn't it (sarcasm). I have some additional worries right now. I'm addicted to sugar. I come home from a tough day and all I want is ice cream or chocolate. I'm stressed at work and all I want is to find that cookie. I'm bored or lonely so I want a piece of cheesecake. But, there's the other side of me that grew up with a dietician mother (you'd think I'd know how to control my appetite). I know what healthy foods are but I don't do it because I've failed at all the previous experiences trying to incorporate it.

I'd love to know what programs or methods have really worked for you if you've been through similar or complementing "dieting" experiences as myself. How did you get started and how did you stay on the program for yourself in terms of nutrition and "dieting". I don't want to "diet" anymore but I do want to change my eating so I no longer depend on the food emotionally or because it contains sugar. Do you have any advice or suggestions for a good program?

Thanks.
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:40 PM   #2  
Chillin' like a villian

S/C/G: 341/289.5/176

Height: 5'7"

I've battled my weight my whole life and know that even when I reach my goal, I will still be battling it. I've done WW, Atkins, South Beach and other variations of low cal/low fat/low carb. And while I'm still on the journey myself, I have to say that what I am doing right now has been the easiest to do and is something I can see myself doing for the rest of my life.

On 2/7/08, I joined the Metabolic Research Center. As of today, I have lost 12 lbs and 20 inches (3 off my waist alone).

For me, it's all about accountability and honestly, someone to truly guide me. I never felt very guided by WW because I could always find a way to rationalize my meals. I would eat something completely horrible for me (fast food) but would figure out the points and just adjust my day. Or say to myself, "Well those are my extra weekly points so I'm ok". But I wasn't truly learning how to eat better and because I didn't have anyone other than myself to be accountable to, I would eventually add a cheat day here and a cheat day there and next thing I knew, my whole week was off plan.

What I like about MRC (so far) is first off... You pay upfront. I'm more likely to stick with something if I'm already out the money. I will warn you that it is not cheap. But then again, I'm actually saving money because I'm eating at home more (I was having take out about 10 times a week... lunch and dinner). And because I'm going to be healthier. That's something that is priceless in my opinion.

Secondly, I like the personalize support that the center offers. While they do offer classes on certain subjects, when you go in for your weigh ins, it's just you and a counselor in the room and they ask you how you've been doing, what you've been eating, how much water you've been drinking, if you have any questions, etc. They give you lots of moral support but also let you know when you're doing something wrong. You actually have to turn your food sheet in to them for review which goes along with that whole accountability thing that I personally need.

The third thing I like about this plan is that after you've met your goal, they don't just throw you out back into the "real" world to gain it all back. They have a year of maintenance where they are with you while you incorporate certain foods back into your diet and evaluate how they react with your body. And you don't pay extra for that. It's part of their package.

As I said, I have been on the program since 2/07/08 and it has been the easiest for me to stick with. I'm not starving, I don't feel deprived and I feel better about myself than I have in years.

Good luck with whatever path to wellness you chose. Just being here and taking that first step toward a healthier you is a major accomplishment. I've found a lot of support on this board in the short time that I have been here and I am sure you will as well. Good luck!!!
angierue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:11 AM   #3  
MRC started March 8, 2008

S/C/G: 258/189/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi julzchiki,
I have an addicting personality, not meaning that people are addicted to me, lol, I mean I am always addicted to something. In October I began slowly making changes. I quit smoking first. This was my 4th time to quit and hopefully my last, it was a 20 year 2 pack a day habit. Nothing about it was easy but I had a little drill sargent in my head that would get mean with me if I needed it and told me like it is. I got pretty ugly with myself sometimes but thats how I had to fight through that and I made it out the other side, yea me!
Next was to quit Dr peppers, yes Dr Peppers. I was addicted to them for about 15 years or more. I don't mean 1 or 2 a day, I mean all day everyday that is all I drank. We have a Sonic drive in here and I loved their Dp's. I would get 5 or more a day, I wouldnt drink all of it though, when it got watered down a little I needed a fresh one. I was spending about $300 or more a month on Dr Peppers, yup pathetic. I quit Dr Peppers completley, I got use to tea. I didn't like tea at first but eventually I aquired a taste for it. So addiction #2 done, Yea me!
Next was caffeine,even tea has caffeine. My body has not gone a day without a steady supply of caffeine for about 15 years. I did it gradually, I boiled a decaff tea bag with a regular one for a long time, then decaff totally. Of course I had a headache for awhile. My body did not go into shock, the world still spins and I moved on without caffeine. addiction #3 done, yea me!
Ah now the dreaded yet dearly loved sugar, I am going through this process as we speak. I have managed to cut out all refined sugar except, I make my tea with half sugar and half splenda but this will soon end also. This will be my last addiction to conquer (there may be other kinds of addictions besides food that I am in denial about who knows lol), I can do it and so can you. Slowly, very slowly so be patient, you will stop craving it, just as people stop craving nicotine, caffeine, sodas, it will happen it just takes time.
I thought I was going to have weight loss surgory, my insurance company decided they didn't have to go by their little book of guidelines so my world came tumbling down and there I was fat and depressed with no addictions to make me feel better. I called and made an appointment with Metabolic Research Center ( I tried everything else I could think of). I have barely started but it sounds very promising. I was shocked when I found out I could have eggs, cheese, bread, and fruit along with the veggies and protien(pinch me). Anyway, I tried also WW, Atkins, Low fat, Slimfast, medications, this is the first one that seems realistic and doable, will see. Sorry, I didn't mean to write a book, I couldn't sleep, lol. Good luck at whatever you decide.

3monkeysmomma
3monkeysmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the suggestions and sharing of your stories. Oy, it is a long journey, isn't it? Some days, I want to click my fingers and wish I could bob my head to make it all go away. Alas, that is not the case!

3momma's, I can appreciate your breaking down of your addictions. I think that's what I need to do is break my path down into baby steps and not be so concerned about what lies ahead... the long road ahead.

I've never heard of MRC. Not sure I can afford it but interesting to check it out and see what their philosophy and plans are. Thanks for the input.

I suppose there is no magic plan. It's still a matter of changing habits, addictions, and lifestyle. (**rapid head bobbing occurring over here**)
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote