Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Smith/Cage 'system' - Thoughts?

I was at Dick's today and saw this..

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...entPage=family

It has a smith machine part, a cage part, a pull up bar, an upper pulley, a lower pulley and 2 side adjustable pulleys.

Any thoughts? Is the cage part too small? The reviews on the website seem pretty good.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #2  
Mel

nelie- have you actually tried it? We had a smith machine that cost about twice that on sale and sold it because the movement was just nowhere near as good as a commercial one. Also plate loaded cables are a PITA!

Here's what we have instead (found a great sale!) No bar, but you can do just about everything with this! (so why do I still go to the gym and pay for a membership??)

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My goal was actually to find a cage but Dick's didn't have any. We may have to visit a home gym store. I did try the smith part for a few squats and it seemed good although I didn't try it for other things.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

I've never tried any of the fitness gear products, so I really can't judge the quality, but since you are able to try it out, you should be able to be a good idea of how well-constructed it is.

Judging by the picture, it does look like it might be tight. That lip in the front, is that flat and smooth to the ground or does it rise up. If it rises up, I'd be too nervous about tripping on that when I have a loaded up bar on my back.

1. Try to doing a squat in there with an unloaded bar and see if you are comfortable with the room.

2. Test all the pulleys to make sure they are smooth.

If both of those check out, as long as it seems sturdy, it may be a decent option.

You can test out the smoothness of the Smith part as well, but the Smith to me is gravy as it will be the least-used part. I would never squat on a smith as you are using the machines range of motion instead of your own body's range of motion which is usually quite different. A back injury waiting to happen, IMHO. Smith's are useful for a few things, however, like Horizontal rows, pushup progressions, ballistic bench presses, over/under drills (although this one might be too tight for those). Plus they are a good place to hang your workout towel

If it were me, though, I'd put this on the possible list but continue to look for a good power rack.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #5  

Nellie, also check ebay and Craigslist. I got a really wonderful squat rack (before I even knew how to use it) for $350 with all the weights, a set of dumbbells (5 lbs – 40 lbs), the upper and lower pullies, Olympic barbell, preacher bar, pull up bar and bench and racks for the free weights and dumbbells on ebay. The guy selling it just wanted to get rid of it. So watch your paper, etc. for people growing tired of their equipment you could come across a gonga.
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote