Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Default finally found shirataki noodles - have a question!

Hi all,

I finally found the shirataki noodles! I couldn't find them at any local grocery stores, and my Trader Joe's doesn't carry them. So, I headed to a local asian market, and sure enough they had lots of them!

I bought the Hana Brand - regular shirataki noodles (not the tofu). I rinsed them well AND boiled them for 5 minutes. Yes, they did smell yucky/fishy when I opened them, but they were fine after the rinsing and cooking. I had no problem at all with the texture. Thanks to Nelie for posting a no cook asian peanut sauce recipe the other day, which I made and used over the noodles, along with sliced red bell pepper, mushrooms, and onion. The peanut sauce is outstanding, and I LOVED this meal!!! Even better, so did my type 1 diabetic DH, and I'm super happy about that.

Ok, here's my question... if the alimentary paste (made from yam flour and calcium hydroxide) is basically just fiber (hence the no calories and almost no carbs), then why is there also NO FIBER CONTENT???

From what I've been reading, these noodles are high in fiber, filling, etc., so I was really surprised to find that they have 0 fiber. I was hoping it would be another high fiber food for me.

If anyone can explain the fiber paradox to me, I would greatly appreciate it.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #2  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

I am not sure, but my shirataki noodles only list 2 grams of fiber. My guess was that their portion is so small. A small bag is what they claim to be 6 servings. Maybe this has something to do with it? This stuff is really all fiber...you don't digest it really. It would be TMI for me to tell you how I know....
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #3  

Oh dear... glad I ate just one package.

The bag is 7 oz. It says a serving is 1.76 ounces. But still, it lists fiber and calories as ZERO. I mean, I know I'm easily confused -- LOL -- but I still just don't get it! How can it not add fiber to my day when it is supposedly made of only fiber?
Old 03-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Unfortunately zero doesn't always mean zero when it comes to food labeling. Food companies are allowed to estimate calories, and different countries have different laws regarding how the estimation is supposed to be done (so if the noodles are imports, the standards may be different than in the US). In the US, I believe the standard is something like if a portion has 5 calories or less, they can label it has having 0. It doesn't really have 0, it has somewhere between 0 and 5 calories. I don't know that standards in the US for fiber, but the same principle would apply.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #5  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

If there is less than .5 grams of something in a serving, or less than 5 calories in a serving, it can be labeled as Zero (this is the law). So, in a bag with about 4 servings (like yours), you could have about 20 calories and 2g of carbs (in the form of fiber), even if it isn't listed as such because of the serving size and the amount of each per serving.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #6  

Thanks for the responses, ladies. I did know that foods can list zero calories - I didn't know the cut off, but I know Pam and other such sprays do add up. I am still perplexed as to why if it is made from fiber, fiber would be zero.

Do you think when calculating my daily fiber, I could safely say a bag provided about 8 grams of fiber?