Old 03-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 305/290/155

Height: 5'7"

Default A specific eating plan?

Is there a specific diet that is recommended, or is it a personal choice? What about calories, snacking, etc? What do you all do?

Tracy
startanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hey Tracy-

You can find answers to your questions in the OA book 12 Steps and 12 Traditions. You can also find a lot of information at www.oa.org. And, of course, there's no place better than a meeting to learn first hand about how OA works.

There is no specific diet. Each person chooses their own food plan and determines if and when a snack is included in their abstinence.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #3  

Thanks Marny. I'm going to try to make the call today. I was just reading you on a diet, and they recommended 3 meals and 3 snacks. Do you think thats too much for a binger? Do I need to be more strict?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 287/257/144

Height: 5'6"

Hi Startanew:
I have defined my abstinence in OA as 3 regular, healthy meals, with no snacks. I arrived at that plan only after really thinking about what sorts of things trigger my compulsive overeating and snacking was a big, big trigger for me. This might eventually change as I work the steps. I think some of it is trial and error--no one plan fits all in OA.

PudgieMom
PudgieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:04 AM   #5  

The thing about 3 meals and 3 snacks is the question of when AREN'T you eating? It sounds like non stop eating all day long-- and that is what I'm learning NOT to do. Eating 6 times a day means eating every 2-3 hours. I eat 3 meals and one snack, and I eat every 4-5 hours.

But, there are some in OA who have medical reasons that require them to eat more often than I do. And, there may be some who aren't willing to only eat 4 times a day. That's the beauty of OA-- we find what works for each of us. No one has to have the same abstinence or food plan as anyone else. This is one more reason having a sponsor is so helpful-- they help us figure this stuff out.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #6  

Yes I guess it does sound like eating all day. Yesterday I started with my new way of eating and tried the 6 times per day, it went pretty well, but I was still starving! I ended up eating about 1400 calories, which I think is enough, but maybe I should try eating the 3 larger meals and 1 snack. I do have an issue with time in the mornings, so being able to plan eating an apple w/tea when I wake up would work for me, but I don't know if I could go from lunch all the way to dinner without snacking.
I know you mentioned that hunger is a good thing, and thats hard for me to accept at this point, lol.
I'm sure once I attend meetings all of this will become more clear. Thanks so much for listening to me.

Tracy
Old 03-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/160/142

Height: 5'3"

Hey all, I am a member of AA and just celebrated three years of sobriety in February. My eating has gotten better since getting sober, but I still struggle with bingeing. I am a good 30 pounds overweight and have never been much less, often much more. I go to AA meetings nearly every day. I have been to one OA meeting. My reluctance comes from the impression I got that absolute abstinence from sugar is necessary. I understand that thought process, as I know moderating alcohol is not an option for me, but is still sounds so drastic.

I know I sound just like an AA newcomer who wants to do it their own way...any advice for me?
LadyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #8  

There are some OA members that have found that they cannot handle sugar or white flour, because they trigger binges. For these folks, they would probably choose a plan of abstinence from sugar and flour. For others, abstinence may be defined by specific eating plans (such as WW programs), or specific eating styles (3 healthy meals, plus a snack) and so forth. A sponsor may be able to help you figure out what is right for you.

Jenny
Old 03-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #9  

P.S. LadyFace--

Great job on the 3 years of sobriety! You should feel fantastic about that.

Jenny
Old 03-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #10  

Ladyface-3 yrs is great! Congrats!
As for the sugar, for me it is a trigger, if I eat 1 cookie, I want more etc. I do use a natural sweetener for my tea and coffee and thats it. It seems if you could eat just one and stop it shouldn't be a problem, but I don't know much yet myself, still haven't attended my first meeting. Welcome!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #11  

Hey there ladyface-

I'm a fellow AAer. I'll tell you right off-- Abstinence is simply harder than sobriety. We can ovoid alcohol all together. We can't avoid food all together. Other AAers who have come to OA have shared with me that while they were learning to live without alcohol, they still had food to use to help them cope. Food tends to be the last remaining crutch. Folks give up drugs and alcohol, and then find that they are turning to food for the very same reasons.

However, it can be done. No one is going to tell you that you have to give up sugar. You have to decide for yourself if you need to do that. Most of us have found that sugar is a drug, and it triggers an eating binge. So, to avoid the binge, we avoid the sugar.

Get a sponsor, keep going to meetings, work the steps (yes, again), and you will find what works for you.

Last edited by marny; 03-04-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 314/292/150

Hi Tracy,

I eat about six times a day. I do have a medical condition that makes me do that. I don't have a colon, just small intestines and I have to chew my food into puree or I will have a blockage. Therefore it takes me longer to eat and I can't gobble my food down. I feel so much better....my feet and joints don't hurt anymore. Sugar was killing me. No sweets or fast foods since Jan.

Take care MiddleSister

Last edited by MiddleSister; 03-09-2008 at 12:08 PM.
MiddleSister is offline   Reply With Quote