General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2001, 05:52 AM   #1  

I just wanted to join this group. I am also counting calories an so far have lost 20 pounds so far. Keeping within 1800 calories but then again I have at least 100 pounds to go. If there are other calorie counters out there with lots of weight to lose, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2001, 09:30 AM   #2  

Hi There,

Congrats on the loss you have so far. If you look at the amount of weight to lose in small amounts it won't seem so overwhelming. I am counting calories too and try to stay at about 1700 - 1800 calories a day. I have tried so many different plans and decided to go back to basics. When I started counting calories I was at 271 and I have lost 50 pounds so far. Keep with it and you will be at goal before you know it.

------------------
288/221.25/165
Old 02-18-2001, 03:14 PM   #3  
Vegetarian

I am a calorie counter! I try to eat 1200 calories a day. When I am "dieting" (hate thet word), I have a problem with getting enough calories. Lately, I have been staying around 600-700. I am using Fitday.com to count the cals, fat, and carbs. If I see I haven't eaten enough towards the end of the day, I'll fit in one last meal. I eat 4-5 small meals a day. (goal is 6)
Ironic, isn't it, that you gain weight if you eat to many calories, yet you also gain weight if you eat to little!
I am also weight training 3x a week, and doing cardio 3x a week (which I need encouragement on. LOVE weight training, HATE cardio). My husband bought me a Elliptical Trainer, so it should be harder to find an excuse not to do it!
Christy
210-200-125
Old 02-18-2001, 10:28 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Actually every diet/eating program out there is about calories...because the only way to lose weight is to expend more calories than you take in...I count calories myself - but I know a lot of people would just rather not hassle with every little calorie, thus you have the WW points or exchange system, Jenny Craig's rigid portion control, etc.

Remember the big 'low-fat' craze of the 90's? Now 'high-protein' seems to have taken over once again, as it was popular in the early 60's and mid-70's. I'm sure most of us remember the books that came out saying you could eat as much non-fat food as you wanted because calories didn't count - fat did...right after that was when all those fat-free foods came out. We all ate, never noticing that the calorie content of those Snackwells cookies, reduced fat Cracker Jack, etc. was very close to the original? Some times, they just made the serving sizes a few grams smaller just to make it seem as though there were fewer calories! I myself used to just eat 1/2 a package of Fat-Free Fig Newtons, thinking they wouldn't hurt me. Of course, I gained weight!

I love using FitDay.com to record my calories -- I try to stay below 1800 a day, but never less than 1200-1300. According to Michael Fumento's book "Fat of the Land":

"The calorie deficit you create should be close to what will be your permanent calorie level and certainly no lower than 1,200 to 1,300 calories. The further you go below this, the more likely you are to suffer from hunger -- and nothing defeats a weight-loss regimen more quickly than hunger."

"Paradoxically, for a while an extremely low energy diet of, say, 600 calories a day, stops hunger after a few days. You may feel tired and listless but your hunger will leave you. Yet the calorie deficit is so deep that when the time comes to move to a maintenance stage, you will have to make drastic changes. That's the point at which the appetite-suppressing effect of a very low-calorie diet abates and leaves you ravenously hungry."

"Another big advantage of slighter reductions in calories is that evidence indicates you may lose somewhat less muscle this way than with sharper calorie restrictions. In what is probably a best-case scenario, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania put one set of obese subjects on a VLCD consisting of 500 calories a day and the other set on a low-calorie diet of 1,000 to 1,200 calories daily. While those on the VLCD's saw their resting energy expenditures drop by more than 17 percent within a few weeks, their counterparts saw only a 2 percent drop, all of which could be accounted for by their lost weight...Studies comparing the two types of weight-loss regimens have found that you definitely get more bang for the buck with LESS caloric restriction. That is, you lose more fat off you body per calories reduced with milder restriction. Consider severe energy restriction as a jackhammer while lesser restriction is more like a hammer and chisel. You can break up rock more quickly with the jackhammer but more to your liking with the delicate instruments."

MrsJim
265/159/145
Old 02-19-2001, 06:46 AM   #5  

Hi! I am counting calories too. 1000-1200 per day. weight training 3x per week and aerobic activity 5-6x per week. I usually walk or ride exercise bike. lost 30 so far.

Old 02-19-2001, 08:32 AM   #6  
Vegetarian

Hello, everyone!
Man, I wish I liked Cardio as much as I like weight training. I really like eating the frequent small meals each day. I never feel hungary. BUT, I do neen to make sure that I eat enough. Especially with weight training.
I haven't weighed myself in a couple weeks. I know I need to, but I'm afraid. I'm usually a scale freak, but I started using the scale my gym uses when they test your bodyfat. I did this so I'm not tempted to weigh myself every hour. I guess I'm afraid that for all my hard work, the scale will stay the same, or go up! Even if it did go up, I'd still press on. It could be muscle.
Well, it sounds like we are all giving this a real go. We can do it! No turning back!
Christy
210-200-125
GO TO YOUR DESTINY!
Old 02-19-2001, 11:00 PM   #7  
BambiGirl

I would like to join in on this group. I've used WW with much success, but found that I started cutting way back on my calorie intake to loss faster and faster -- finally my weight loss stopped and I have had terrible side effects. Thanks for the info MrsJim. Your stats look marvelous. Is this how you lost the weight -- looking for some more positive input. I'm going to take at look at that book "Fat of the Land". Everything I have been reading and doing is supporting that I need more calorie intake. I've upped to 1500 and seem to be on the right track again -- Calories do count! Have a great day all!

deb b.
238.5/159/143

[This message has been edited by BambiGirl (edited 02-19-2001).]

Old 02-20-2001, 12:54 AM   #8  

For MrsJim
I have read 3 articles lately on counting calories and how to figure how many calories you need per day. Mine come out to between 2500 -2700 to maintain my current weight. I eat between 1200-1500 per day and still gain. Any ideas? Current weight 207, Dr. goal 182. Thanks .
Old 02-20-2001, 02:26 AM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Deb - thanks so much for your complements and for checking out my website!

djl1001 - I have a hard time releasing weight as well. Don't worry, it will come off - true permanent weight loss comes through PERSISTENCE and work! Meanwhile, are you keeping a journal of your food and exercise? Do you eat a good breakfast? Are you exercising at a high level of intensity (but not too high)? I suggest using www.fitday.com to keep track of your food and exercise -- and it helps to write down your thoughts in a journal as well. Have you read "Make the Connection" by Bob Greene and Oprah Winfrey -- there's some really good common-sense advice in there! You may also want to check www.oprah.com -- I don't watch the show myself (since I'm usually at work) but I've heard from MANY people how terrific her last three Tuesday shows with Dr. Phil were. Here are the links to the Oprah.com archive pages for those shows:

Part 1 - http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/..._20010130.html

Part 2 - http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/..._20010206.html

Part 3 - http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/..._20010213.html

And remember -- we're all here for you, with the same struggle! Keep it up - maybe tweak your diet a bit, add more fiber, fewer simple sugars - find an exercise you love and the weight will come off!

MrsJim
265/159/145
Old 02-20-2001, 06:18 AM   #10  

I'm completely with all of you. Reading a bunch of post has gotten me interested reading the book everyone is talking about. ButI must say this works well for me, and its the cheapest way to lose weight. Oh, and I eat between 1500 and 2000 everyday. I believe moderate calorie intake is better than low calorie for me. I agree with MrsJim about eating close to what I'll be eating once I reach my goal.

260/234/160

------------------
"relax, it ain't as bad as it seems"

[This message has been edited by kimmieone (edited 02-19-2001).]
Old 11-24-2001, 12:14 PM   #11  

hi guys,
im very bummed. its taken me 8 days to lose 1/2 pound and thats after counting every last calorie. the good news is i think i finally found the reason i cant lose. it looks like ive got wts. ive been taking my temp for almost a month& it is typically 96. ive got alot of the symptoms of hypothyroid too. i thought i had that last year.

im tired of feeling lousy from it. im calling my doc on mon. for an appt so i can try to convince her ive got wts cuz the 1 doc that treats wts near me doesnt take my ins.
Old 11-24-2001, 05:49 PM   #12  

does anyone know the calories in 1 sl of cicilian pizza with extra cheese& regular with extra cheese?
Old 11-24-2001, 07:26 PM   #13  
hot mom wanna be!

Talking

hello all!
I too, am a calorie counter. I have lost 31.5 pounds this year but I need to lose a lot more! Coming to this site really helps me, when I don't post here my weight loss stalls, so I am back here with a vengence!! LOL

I can lose weight eating 2000 calories a day so I am sticking with that. I figure when I reach goal I will still be eating 2000 a day to maintain my weight loss but now since I'm so heavy I can lose on this many calories.

For those who dont know how many calories to eat to lose or maintain their weight I suggest searching for websites that have basal metabolism calculators. they will ask for your weight height sex and activity level and compute an amount of calories that you need to eat each day to maintain and how much to eat to lose at a safe level.

good luck to us all!
lorelei
313/281.5/160 final goal) 5'9 height
Old 11-24-2001, 07:31 PM   #14  

congrats! i wish i could lose on 2000.... i have triouble losing on 14 or 15.
Old 12-03-2001, 11:00 PM   #15  
hot mom wanna be!

thanks!! I guess not many people really post on this thread do they? I have a lot of weight to lose 100 pounds + so I can lose on that many calories.
Closed Thread