Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #1  

Unhappy Needing Support

Ok so I am feeling very let down lately. I have been a member of a gym since January. I have gone religiously at least 4 times a week. I have a diet/exercise buddy. We each had our own trainers (that come free with our gym membership). Well, last week my buddy and her trainer got into an argument and she walked out of her session. I stayed and finished most of the work out. Well, my friend and I were back in the gym the next day, but we were BOTH dropped from by our trainers. Now, 14 pounds lighter, I am scared my progress is going to waiver due to not having a trainer. I have a 6 month membership (with 4 months left) and don't know what to do.

I don't know enough about exercise to create my own workouts with the same effectiveness. Any help or support would be great. I am feeling very unsettled at the moment.

Thanks!
Jamie
wantingtobehappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:17 AM   #2  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

You're the client, girl. Go back in to the office and talk to who ever is in charge, let them know what happened, and tell them you need a different trainer. You're paying for the membership, and training is included, so it's not "free", it's part of their service. You don't have to say anything bad about the trainer you had, just go in and ask for a new trainer to be assigned to you, as you are entitled to in your membership.

Cheryl
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #3  

Default True

Thanks for the advice. My other problem is that my trainer was the owner of the gym. Right now it is motivation to show them I can do it without them, but I don't really knw that I can.

Thanks for the advice. Have a great day.

Jamie
Old 02-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #4  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I would demand to know why YOU were dropped when it wasn't you who got into an argument and left your session.
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I think you need to play outraged consumer here. Why were you dropped? Can you be assigned to another trainer? Are they planning to refund part of your membership fee since they are breaking contract? You don't need to 'prove' anything to them. They are supposed to give you personal training as a part of your membership. End of story.

If that fails, you could think about joining another gym and hiring a new trainer, or you could start doing your own research to put a program together!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #6  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

"I stayed and finished most of the work out." Did something else occur that resulted in you leaving as well, before the end of your workout? Is THAT why your trainer dropped you, as well as your friend? Seriously, as the gym owner, it is not in his business interest to 'drop' you... is there something else that isn't entirely clear??

I do think that if you can think of NO reason why this happened, you do need to go in and speak to someone, preferably your trainer/gym owner. You ARE paying for his services, you ARE entitled to them.

If there is something more, then you are in a difficult situation; don't let pride and an angry 'determination to show them' get in the way of what you are trying to achieve. Either way, ask to speak to someone - whether it is to be assigned to a new trainer, reconnect withe the owner, or cancel your membership based on not receiving the services you were promised when joining.

Good luck.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #7  
Never-giver-upper

S/C/G: 186/176/135

Height: 5'7"

Even if you end up without a trainer, YOU CAN DO THIS! You went and joined the gym and showed up regularly, so you obviously can motivate yourself. There's lots of information here at 3FC and elsewhere on the Internet that can help you create an effective workout. And remember, pretty much anything you do is going to help you get healthier.

I hope you're able to get the trainer situation straightened out, but like I said, if not, you can take charge and do it! We believe in you!
Serena C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #8  

I was the ride for my friend who left her session. That is why I left early. But my trainer wasn't there that night. After I took my friend home, I went back to the gym and finished my workout. I am heading to the gym this morning and hopefully will see the owner/my trainer to see what is going on.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.