Closed Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Default Worldly Chicks Move It in Maui for March

Aloha and welcome. I see a few of you have hit the beach already. So welcome to Moving it in March. Pleasant sunsets here.

And some stunning scenery inland. If you want to know more about Maui, click the link - http://www.maui.hawaii-accommodation...-pictures.html

Okay - so if you need to go back to frassin' and freezin' Feb heres the link - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...133073&page=24 (I think) and I will stick this link in to the old one so folks can get from one to the other.

I'll be back shortly. Have things to do and people to meet and greet.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #2  

Just realised that amongst other things to do, I have two birthdays to celebrate this week. March 6th for DS1 and March 7 - now whose birthday was that again? Minds going, going, going, gone.

Okay - well I had better get this post out of the way for the day. It would seem it will be a busy one. The DS2 has gone camping for the weekend so I have the house to myself - yeehaa. Now what did I do yesterday.

Okay, okay, I went back to the kitchen place, made a couple of alterations to the plan, almost decided on going with a slightly less expensive benchtop. The Corian is beautiful, but it means the kitchen will be out of commission for 2 weeks rather than two days and is around double the price of the 3x scratch resistant laminate which is more expensive than ordinary laminate anyway - told you I can't do anything on the cheap. That drops the price back under the 20K mark which was the top end of my budget anyway.

Mel - great news on the losses. You have been working hard and proving all the medico's wrong about the amount of weight you can lose. Now we have to get that skin done and dusted. Maybe the fresh air in Maui will work for you. Haven't yet sorted out and Igor for you yet over here.

Happy - glad the boss liked the cake. It sounds nice too. As a kid, we used to go blackberry picking on the banks of the river, that was before the local government declared it a noxious weed and sprayed it stone dead. I loved those blackberries. We would come home with a bowl full of the juicy monsters and black juice staining our faces, fingers, clothes and anything else we could get it on. Yummy. Those flourless, glutenless and good for you cakes tend not to rise so much and certainly don't last as long. That's why I asked. I guess they would freeze okay though.
How did the dessert go in the bake off?? Oh hang on, it hasn't happened yet - read the directions Shad.

Rennie = Mother Nature has never listened to anyone and certainly will not start doing so now. Stop beating your head on a brick wall and just get on with working with or working around her.

Ceejay - Like Mel said, it's good to hear that you and the car are good for another 50,000. Happy motoring. Those Toyotas are bomb-proof I reckon.

Ellen - Chucky cheese??!!!! We don't have them over here, however even the name conjures up calories.

Annie - have fun at the concert, dance like there is no one watching. Don't you just love the finish on some of those desks?

So it's on with the day. Gym - Body Balance class at 9.30. Then finish off the bits of the bathroom I didn't do yesterday. I spent so much time chucking out of date, rusty, unused, useless stuff that the bath didn't get cleaned - the rest sparkles. Sometimes you just gotts do these things and find out what you have in those drawers and doors. I don't think I will need to buy soap for the next 5 years, it's gone hard too and that means it will last longer. If I send you a present for Christmas or Birthday - guess what it might be???
Then I will tackle the main bedroom, clear out the wardrobe of my unused, unworn, non-fitting duds (or fashion mistakes) and take them to the Op Shop. Some one else may get some benefit out of them. I feel the need to shift the computer as well and there is yet another box of books to be sorted, packed up or thrown to the book exchange. And I guess that is about it. Time to move it along. See you for cocktails later.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:08 AM   #3  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

CEEJAY ~ THANKS...I AM STILL DANCING OVER HERE.

RENNIE~ GOING TO STEAL ONE OF YOU

SHAD~ GEE I LOOKED AT MY CALENDAR AND CANNOT FINE MARCH 7 HOPE YOU LIKE THE KITCHEN TOP CAUSE YOU'RE GOING TO BE LIVING WITH IT FOR A VERY LONG TIME! THANKS FOR THE MOVE....I LOVE MAUI ALREADY....ESPECIALLY AFTER LAST NIGHT'S SNOW STORM THAT TURNED TO ICE AND THEN RAIN SOUNDS FUNNY BUT I WENT TO BED LOOKING AT SNOW PILING UP AND THOUGHT OF THIS MORNINGS MOVE. WENT TO BED WITH A SMILE
SPEAKING OF SOAP...I MUST HAVE 150 BARS OF THE STUFF. THE ONLY WAY I COULD BUY IT WAS BY THE CASE!
AT LAST COUNT IT MIGHT STILL BE MORE! WE CAN COMBINE OURS AND SEND OUT PRESSIES ALL YEAR LONG

BALA HAS CANCELLED FOR OBVIOUS REASONS BUT THE MAID SERVICE FOR THE EMPTY APARTMENTS ARE STILL COMING. SOMEONE MADE A MISTAKE AND SCHEDULED THEM FOR SATURDAY.....YEAH RIGHT THEM MADE A BOO BOO......NOT!
I BETTER FIND SOME BREAKFAST AND EXERCISE BEFORE I FALL ASLEEP WITH ALL THIS DARKNESS!
HAPPY SATURDAY/SUNDAY
ENJOY THE WEEKEND
Old 03-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #4  
Happy September

RECIPE #37

Heat a little oil in a large saucepan; sauté some chopped ham, frozen chopped onion and a little minced garlic. Stir in green split pea soup, canned diced roasted tomatoes and 2 cups frozen peas. Cover; simmer until hot. Sprinkle servings with shredded Swiss and Gruyere cheese and a few croutons.

Last edited by MELODY525; 03-01-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

morning/afternoon ladies!!

Shad~I didn't do badly, had the salad bar...their pizza makes me ILL

Mel~sorry you got Ice please be careful, our snow is melting, but I believe that they are predicting more to come. oh why can't spring show up???

Hugs and Love to all the other ladies!!

Dh and I are going out today, my sis is coming to watch the kids. DH has choir practice, and I am going to hit the mall (no kids, I may actually get something done!) THen I will pick DH back up and we are going for dinner. Hope to be back for "cocktails" LOL

Later chicas!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:09 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

and aloha! Today may be the day that I get in my car and drive down for the newspaper. Yes, I still hurt but enough is enough. I am taking my Life back if my neighbour who has been using my car can find the frassing keys! I'm just a tad ticked off. I need to get back at driving so I can take myself places - like to Brockville for the surgeon's re-check next Wednesday.

Edited: Still stuck at home. I have the keys but there's 8" of snow in the lane and the plough guy hasn't been here! Guess I'm stuck in the house for the day.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #7  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Good morning chicks,

Oooohhh smell the sea breeze, feel the warm sun on your face. I'm LOVIN' Maui thanks for getting us here Shad!

You sound like a busy whirlwind of activity down there my friend. Sunday the cat better watch out lest she get tossed with the lot! DH likes Corian or the solid surface better than the laminate because solid surface has no seams. It always seems that when they cut the angle of the counters, they aren't even. Also there is pressed fiberboard under the laminate which soaks up liquid like a sponge. Have to make sure the sink edge is sealed well and there is never any liquid around the seams lest you find bulges there one day. I didn't realize this at first - had the dish rack on the counter at a seam. Water dripping off the glasses puddled on the counter which I didn't see and when I moved the rack ruined the counter. (It was time for new benchtops anyway ) but I am extra careful now. I'm sure you'll pick out something lovely.

Congrats Mel on your 5 pounds down for the month. That is fabulous

We're off to the humane society today. We or rather DH got a call this week to come out for the weekend. We're to be there when they open up which means we will be assigned catbox duty. DH said nope I didn't sign up for that I signed up for "cat socialization" which means to pet the kitties, show them some love and make them less afraid of humans. So he will pet the kitties and I will scoop the poopies I guess **needs holding nose smiley right now** 'Tis ok. It must be done. We can't ALL have the good jobs

The bake off was fun. We had 15 entries. I came in 4th place. No prize, just the glory of it I tried to go for presentation and creativity. Here's a pic of my dessert. I actually had another normal pie which was decorated quite pretty - as I was putting the cherries on the bigger pan (for the people's choice award) I decided to get creative and beg for votes

We had some astounding entries. You would think a bunch of IT people would make geek cakes but there were several beauties that would rival anything you'd see in a bakery. One guy's wife made a 3 layer cheesecake, frosted it with dark chocolate ganache??? She hand made white chocolate maple leaves that she decorated the outer edge of the cake with and then on top she HAND MADE calla lillies out of sugar and decorated the top of the cake with 8 of them. It was a work of art and of course took first place. She is not a professional, just likes to do that kind of thing.

After the judging, the public was invited to come in and sample. I had 4 tiny spoons of different things and it was too much sugar! I can't imagine how the judges got through 15 samples - tho not as bad as last year's 27 entries.

Sometimes embarrassing things happen to me. Well actually a lot. I have many stories. But as I was trying a sample, I of course had to try this magnificent cheesecake. It was sitting on a pretty pedastle cake plate. I went to take a spoon of cheesecake from the center and the darned cake was so dense that I pushed it off the cake plate almost into the front of my bosses boss who caught the cake before disaster hit. She gently removed it from the cake stand and graciously said, this wasn't very steady anyway. I tried to take another spoonful and again pushed the cake - it started to roll and bosses boss again caught it before it just about fell off the table and rolled to the floor I was so embarassed. Did I mention that I dropped the cake server on the floor too After I almost knocked it to the floor twice, I said "I guess this is God's sign that I REALLY don't need any of this cake" - several people standing around started laughing as I snuck off to clean the cake server I dropped. Oh my. Only me.

I need to jump in the shower as we are leaving in 30 minutes. So to those cleaning snow or cleaning cabinets or the house - have fun. Be careful to those travelling and stop and have a bit of fun - after all it IS the weekend. Will be back later tonight to the chicks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vote for Me Cake.jpg (18.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by happy2bme; 03-01-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #8  

Morning all, and it is a glorious start to Autumn over here. The sun is shining, the sky is blue. Grass is several shades of green.

Happy the desset looks great - hope they appreciated your sense of humour with the decoration!!! Hope you get along okay at the cat society place. It can be a cruel eye opener in those places, but as newbies I guess you won't have to see the battered and torn just yet. I wish Sunday would get some sense of appreciation of all I do for her. Feed me, pet me, water me, move over so I can take up the bed. Why don't you let me sit on your head (answer to that is - would you let me sit on your head???)
Actually the corian is not seamless. I had it all explained how it is done. They prepare the benchtops and install the carcass. Then they fit the corian in the usual shaped pieces gluing as they go. Once the glue is dry, they buff it and it all appears seamless. You can't see any seams and it is waterproof. If you damage the bench, they come along and cut the damage out and put another piece in gluing the edges and then buff it up to appear perfect again. You can take out minor scratches with a scotchbrite pad as well. It's wonderful stuff, but awfully expensive. The cheap laminate has worked in my kitchen for 20 years and only lifted in one spot and I scraped out the fibre board and glued it back down and clamped it until dry. It didn't lift again. Maybe I have just been lucky. Mind you the surface has gone and it stains something awful these days and I also put a minor burn on it a year or so back. So it is past it's sell by date. I'm looking forward to the new one going in.

Mel - I think you better find March 7th. It's an important day. It's the day after DS1's birthday for a start and also it is the day after Michelangelo's birthday. Sincerely hope the Michelangelo virus is not still hanging around.
Glad you like the new joint. May it prove happy and fruitful as far as weight loss goes.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #9  

Had to stop off there as DB2 arrived on the scene. A lesson in computerese ensued since he is not exactly computer literate. However he has made contact with some old friends and has a better attitude to life at the moment. Long may it last!

Don't really have a lot more to say anyway. I'm off to finish in the bathroom, do a little more in the garden, start clearing and cleaning in the bedroom. More stuff to the shed and no doubt another load to the dump, however that won't happen until Monday, since every citizen of Logan seems to go to the dump on a Sunday.

Ruth - there are times when you just have to push the barrow and get on with life. All I can say is that go for it. If it gets worse, lessen up a bit but don't necessarily stop. If it doesn't get worse then CARRY ON SISTER.

Gym is done for the day, food is sorted too. I just have to get my butt moving in mysterious ways. That way the flab may just jiggle it's way to some other bit of someone elses belly. Don't stand still it may be yours.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #10  

Aloha!!
Old 03-02-2008, 08:06 AM   #11  
Happy September

ELLEN~ HOPE YOU HAD A NICE DAY AND A GREAT "DATE NIGHT"

RUTH~ HOPE SHE FOUND THE KEYS AND THE SNOW GOT REMOVED!!!! I'LL COME UP AND BRING MY PLOW!

HAPPY~ YOUR CAKE WAS TOO CUTE!!! I LOVED THE STORY THAT WENT ALONG WITH THE PIC!!! I LAUGHED SO HARD THE BIRD YELLED AT ME YESTERDAY. GUESS I SCARED HIM! I COULD JUST SEE THE CAKE SLIDING!!!!! OMG NOW I AM LAUGHING AGAIN!!!!! ANYWAY....WHO DID THE SCOOPING??? NICE OF YOU BOTH TO GIVE THE TIME!

SHAD~ I WAS THINKING ABOUT THE PC VIRUS AND WONDERING IF MY COMPUTER WILL CRASH LEAVING ME TO THE OLD MEANS OF COMMUNICATION GOD I WOULD HATE TO GO THRU THAT AGAIN!! THIS TIME I WILL JUST ASK FOR HELP RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING!!! GLAD DS2 IS HAVING A BETTER TIME OF IT. I THINK JEN AND RICHIE ARE ALSO. MUST BE SPRING/FALL IN THE AIR...BRINGS ON CHANGES.

ALOHA HOLLY!

WHERE ARE ALL THE OTHERS???
LATE AFTERNOON THE FIRE ALARM WENT OFF TELLING ME IT HAD A LOW BETTERY. I KEPT TRYING TO TELL IT "OK" BUT IT WASN'T HAVING ANY PART OF THAT ANSWER FOR ALMOST AN HOUR FINALLY IT TOOK MY WORD FOR IT AND SHUT THE F UP!!!! HOPEFULLY IT WON'T BE DOING ANY MORE REPORTING TO ME TODAY. TALKED TO JOHN FOR 2 HOURS ABOUT STUFF LIKE THIS AND MAYBE WE CAN GET MORE DONE WITH THE MEN. BUT PEOPLE MAKE GREAT PROMISES ON THE PHONE!!!!
I AM SO GLAD FEB IS OVER. THE DEATH TOLL WAS 4 IN LESS THAN 3 WEEKS. GOD IT WAS AWFUL. THE LAST ONE WAS FRIDAY. THE BUILDING IS JUST REBOUNDING AFTER THE SHOCK. SO MAUI CAME AT A PERFECT TIME! I AM READY TO SIT BY THE HOTEL POOL AND WATCH SOME OF HAPPY'S LITTLE FROGS JUMP IN AND OUT AND GET LITTLE TANS!

OK OFF TO PEDAL AND EAT MY WHEATIES..I MEAN OATMEAL!! HAVE A GREAT DAY!
HAPPY SUNDAY/MONDAY :moped
Old 03-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #12  
Happy September

RECIPE #38.

Heat refrigerated or frozen chicken nuggets. Meanwhile, heat bottled sweet and sour sauce and drained canned pineapple chunks until hot. Toss with chicken nuggets. Serve with quick-cooking rice.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

Good morning! Hawaii sounds good this morning although we do have brilliant sunshine.

MEL, you always manage to sound so perky! Yes, February has been a bad month around here too. It seems all I've done is send sympathy cards and make donations to "the charity of your choice".

Hollyhock, that was pretty terse! What's a happenin'?

Happy, the cheesecake incident is hilarious. Is there a video?

Ellen, date night sounds good to me. I do like the idea of "cocktails" after dinner.

Shad is right - I just need to start trundling the wheel barrow around as much as I can. I'm still semi-snowed in as the plough guy hasn't shown. I may give him a call - he's probably recovering from Saturday night right now. If he doesn't arrive, I'll just gun my little red Focus and get out the lane anyhow. I need to go to the store just to prove I can!

Time for a shower and a selection from my massive wardrobe of t-shirts and pants! Here's a close-up of a lily to brighten your SUN Day! Note the snow through the window.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #14  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Good morning ladies,

It's gorgeous outside. 70F degrees now, climbing a bit more by the afternoon. Perfect day to go outside, wash the car and pick up all the sticks and leaves and dried up sweetgum pods (gumballs). Then tomorrow it's supposed to storm like crazy which will knock more stuff out of the trees. And Tuesday - hold on to your hats - it's supposed to snow a bit. Ceejay may finally get her wish. You can tell Mother Nature is ticked off - the weather sure is wacky.

There were several regular people at the Humane Society yesterday and they did all the cleaning - we were told just to play with the cats. And that we did. All but one of them was so playful and loving. They were really enjoying the attention. We were there for 2 hours and when we were done we had enough cat hair on the 2 of us to make another cat. Even tho I took an allergy pill before I left, about 2 hours is all I can handle in close quarters. We drove home with me sneezing and coughing and wheezing. I was ok once I changed clothes and popped another pill. I will certainly do this again. They said we can pretty much come and go as we like, whenever we have the time.

I am trying to get DH and I out of the house more even though with the weather getting better we certainly have lots of projects around here. The Second City Comedy group was coming to our local performing arts center and I bought tickets for their show on Friday night. I had it on my calendar and had the tickets on the refrigerator in plain sight. The show was at 6:30pm so I didn't have to rush home from work. I came home on Friday preoccupied with the bake off - perhaps I was distracted by the extra sugar I had eaten. DH was still in his casual "work from home" outfit and said he wasn't feeling up to par and didn't feel like going out to dinner. Ok, no problem. Last night we were watching a comedian do a special show on HBO and he said something about the people who had come to see him perform. I looked over at DH and said we FORGOT to go to the GPAC last night and see the Second City show DH said he remembered we had a busy week and THOUGHT we were supposed to do something Friday night but he never mentioned it to me. We both completely forgot. There went over $70 in tickets for nothing Actually this is more troubling that frustrating. Are we losing it already?

Ruth - that is a gorgeous picture of your lily. It's especially pretty with the snow as a background. I hear that those of you who get snow are just so tired of the stuff already. Been a snowy year. At least you won't be in draught conditions. AND with a red car - even if you get stuck, you will be easy to find. Just be careful with that knee.

Mel, sorry you had so much unneccesary excitement in your building. Hopefully things will calm down with the seniors although when you live with a large community of older folks, I suppose you have to get used to (or steel yourself) that you're going to lose some friends. Get on those pedals and give us a tour of the island, will you? Enjoy the day - it looks like you've got some nasty storms coming your way again.

Aloha to you too Hollly

Thanks for the explanation on the Corian Shad. I thought they poured the stuff but now that I think about it, you explanation makes sense. I think the reason I didn't like it was because the early stuff had a rather dull finish and I like things shiny but I think they have changed that now. We were even considering that too for our kitchen. I thought that DB2 had gone off to NZ a while back? Must have gotten it confused with someone else. All your talk of getting things arranged and tidied around the house has me in the mood to do the same. I do feel badly that I should be out helping DH but there's so much that needs to be done inside that I think I should stay in and do it.

Besides I have a headcold today. I checked it off to regular sinus pressure but today I have the sniffles. Will try not to bend down as that makes it much worse.

Driving to the Humane Society yesterday I noticed my favorite tree is in bloom already. I think its' the redbud. It's a gorgeous reddish purple tree that has tiny buds that make it look like the entire tree is outlined in purple. I also see the yellow forscynthia peeking out and there's some white bushes as well. Part 2 of spring is here in the south. Part 1 is the birds returning and singing their spring songs. The daffodils have sprung too.

Ellen - hope you had a good shopping trip and a nice dinner with the DH.

Well I'm off to get busy around here. Aloha to the rest of the chicks - have a good Sunday!
Old 03-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #15  
Come on Spring!

I'm back on my wheels and have my life back! Whodathunkit but I'm all excited over going to the store and getting milk and the newspaper. I even went in to Bob's Diner/Dinner and had a quesadilla for lunch with some of the lads and caught up on gossip. If the weather is decent tomorrow, I may do a run to the Library in the next town! Such excitement!
Closed Thread