Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/227/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Hoodia

Has anyone tried this? I stay hungry all of the time and apparently this is suppose to be really good and all natural...a great way to curb the appetiate. Let me know if you have tried it or what you have heard about it.

Thanks!!!!!
skinnybamagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #2  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I have used hoodia. I spent $100 on three bottles. I finished half a bottle, and the other two I just recently threw out. It does curb your appetite... but honestly, it did it by making me feel ill all the time. Plus, I now realize that I need to learn how to manage my appetite on my own, because I am not going to take hoodia every day for the rest of my life. Honestly, I have found that drinking water with a little bit of lemon works just as effectively and it doesn't make me feel sick.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

All-natural does not mean healthy or harmless. Herbs, even many with known toxic properties are legal, because the FDA doesn't govern herbal supplements. In the United States, in a sense, an herb is considered innocent until proven guilty (and sometimes not even then), while a medication is assumed guilty and must be proven innocent.

Hoodia is an herb that aboriginal peoples where it grows, use to curb hunger on long hunting trips/times of famine. They don't use it daily, and they don't use it to lose weight. The long-term effects of using it in this "new" way, are not known.

Be careful and cautious in deciding whether to try hoodia products (many of which contain very little hoodia so be aware of that as well).

Last edited by kaplods; 02-29-2008 at 03:57 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #4  
it's always something

Hoodia products don't contain hoodia. They often contain fiber that swells to mimic a full feeling, and charge 100x the value of the fiber. They may also contain various mystery ingredients. But we know that they don't contain genuine hoodia gordonii because it isn't yet available in this country and probably won't be until next year. The patent to the product is owned by Phytopharm and export of hoodia gordonii is protected by African law.

In the meantime, it's perfectly legal to sell product that claim they contain hoodia even though they don't, simply because of the lack of government regulations in the industry.

As far as hoodia goes, as kaplods mentioned it is used occasionally by hunters going off on long trips without much food, and not as a weight loss tool. Results have only been seen when eating a 4 inch chunk of fresh hoodia gordonii which contains a special molecule, patented as P57, which is what affects the appetite.

There are also a lot of types of hoodia which are legally sold here, but only the hoodia gordonii contains P57 and you can't get it. So you're out luck no matter what.

Unilever has partnered with the company that owns the patent to P57 and hope to have genuine and effective hoodia products on the market either this year or next. It's still undergoing safety testing.

When the real thing is available for purchase, we plan to spread the word
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #5  
Lola is Back!

S/C/G: 226/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I tried Hoodia too... It made me feel nervous all the time and very anxious. I have had good luck with Cortislim though. It seems to reduce my stress level and calm me down so I don't binge. I just take one in the morning and one before lunch. They sell it on line or you can also get it at Target. It seems to help me with controling binges.

Lola125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #6  
I Can Do This!

S/C/G: 239/ticker/165

Height: 5'4"

I tried it too-and had the same results. Feeling anxious-I ended up throwing out the bottle I bought. I figure I'll just try to do it the old fashioned way. It's harder-but healthier!
IndianaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #7  
Jonatán j'te aime

S/C/G: 210/206/150

Height: 62"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
Hoodia products don't contain hoodia. They often contain fiber that swells to mimic a full feeling, and charge 100x the value of the fiber. They may also contain various mystery ingredients. But we know that they don't contain genuine hoodia gordonii because it isn't yet available in this country and probably won't be until next year. The patent to the product is owned by Phytopharm and export of hoodia gordonii is protected by African law.

In the meantime, it's perfectly legal to sell product that claim they contain hoodia even though they don't, simply because of the lack of government regulations in the industry.

As far as hoodia goes, as kaplods mentioned it is used occasionally by hunters going off on long trips without much food, and not as a weight loss tool. Results have only been seen when eating a 4 inch chunk of fresh hoodia gordonii which contains a special molecule, patented as P57, which is what affects the appetite.

There are also a lot of types of hoodia which are legally sold here, but only the hoodia gordonii contains P57 and you can't get it. So you're out luck no matter what.

Unilever has partnered with the company that owns the patent to P57 and hope to have genuine and effective hoodia products on the market either this year or next. It's still undergoing safety testing.

When the real thing is available for purchase, we plan to spread the word
Oh my goodness! Thanks Suzanne!
mariquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 135/135/120

Height: 5'7"

Wish I'D read this before I ordered some!! It's on its way regardless, and i'll post my reaction to it, though it sounds like it was a waste of money!!
katewillbehappier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

I use a liquid called Body Choice, Cortisol Hoodia Weight Loss. I really like it. It tastes good ...I use 2 Tablespoons a day...and it does curb my appetitie. It does not make me feel jittery or sick. It does not make me feel overfull, it just makes it easier for me to say no to food. I still have to use some will power, but it sure helps and dieting is easier when I remember to take it. I have already used several bottles (I posted the number in another thread but have now forgotten!) and I have gone some months without buying it cause when we travel I often can't find it. I buy it at Costco but it is not in all Costco stores. It costs $19 for about 32 oz.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #10  
it's always something

Please be careful, maryea, that product contains a lot of questionable ingredients. It has a lot of caffeine and other stimulants, so I'm surprised it hasn't made you feel jittery. It doesn't contain hoodia.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:23 PM   #11  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
Please be careful, maryea, that product contains a lot of questionable ingredients. It has a lot of caffeine and other stimulants, so I'm surprised it hasn't made you feel jittery. It doesn't contain hoodia.
Do you mean the ingredients listed on the bottle are not actually what's in it? Where can I find your source of info on this particular product? Not saying you're not right...just would like to do my own research too. I have been using it about two years without any problems. My only problem is that it doesn't always keep me from eating, but that's just me.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

From what I've read...

When people speak of the appetite suppressant 'Hoodia', they are speaking of a specific plant which has been shown to have appetite suppressant properties with the actual plant leaf only (and there hasn't been a successful extract yet to have it in any other form). Currently, a pharmaceutical company has the 'rights' to trying to reproduce the plants effects in a diet supplement. They have been unable to extract the appetite suppressant properties of the plant and put them into a supplement despite trying for years. Since they have the rights, they are the only ones that can manufacture a diet supplement and sell it but they haven't so far. Who knows what is in these other pills? Hoodia supplements on the market usually rely on the fiber they put to suppress the appetite.

If you want to read the sticky thread on it, it may have more information than my summary.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42591

Last edited by nelie; 09-14-2008 at 12:45 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote