Old 02-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #1  
Bikini Season :)

Default Heres an Idea

this has probably been posted about before, maybe even done before....

Is anyone here using youtube for a place of weight loss accountability? i am thinking about posting videos for progress, vlogs about struggles im having, etc...

i am, however, petrified about putting that out there for everyone to see.

I've never actually posted anything on youtube, im not really sure how to go about most of it...

but its certainly an idea! maybe going it with some 3fc girls and making a group out of it where we can comment back to each other and such too... i dunnooo... sort of a different kind of weight loss journal..

Last edited by KateRN; 02-28-2008 at 09:13 PM.
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:38 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

People say some really mean things on YouTube--I'm not sure whether you are up for that. But if you think you can handle it, go for it!

Speaking only for myself, I don't want to put anything that personal on the internet.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #3  
IncredibleShrinkingWoman

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'11"

That's a daring idea!

Hmmm. You know, I would consider doing that.

It is potentially mortifying. But I think it would be interesting. Have you seen many weight loss vlogs? I've never seen one.
bigtxmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #4  
Fat Noob

S/C/G: 270/260/170

Height: 5'10"

That sounds like an excellent idea. I haven't a clue how to go about it, but I might be willing to go for it.
Absinthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

What JayEll said. I've been stalked on the Internet before and it's scary. At this point I would never post anything that would reveal who I am .. and I would NEVER post videos of me on YouTube.

But that's just me.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

You have to be aware that if you do that, your face/body/video may well end up on the news, or on Entertainment Tonight or some other show. They are always picking up YouTube stuff and showing it on tv. If you wouldn't mind the whole world watching it, then go for it!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #7  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

I think it's very interesting but I would also be worried about putting myself out there. Youtube had a challenge last year and I enjoyed watching it.
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #8  

hhrrmmm well i did some hunting - theres a lot of weight loss vlogs out there... and i havent really seen negative comments on them either! it looks like most people skim over them unless its obviously set up to look exploitive. the comments that are posted seem to be mostly from other people doing weight loss vlogs or friends and family supporters...

i think im going to give it a shot, i'll put a link to it or something in my profile when i figure out how...

yeah, it is a risk, but... eh... if i end up in the news for trying to make myself healthier, well then, rock on!

Last edited by KateRN; 02-28-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:56 AM   #9  

I have been putting up videos on my littlesheree YouTube channel since December. At first I LOVED doing the videos and the weight vlog community. It can be a good way to be accountable. However, I am taking a break now from the YouTube weight loss community because it wasn't productive for me. There are many people who make videos about how they are not succeeding. They spend time complaining or making excuses. Another thing that bothers me is they talk about foods they have eaten or their lack of commitment to exercise in their videos. Many are like "poor me" videos. This is counterproductive to my attempts to keep a positive, healthy attitude. Good luck with your weight vlog. I hope it works for you! :-)
littlesheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #10  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I think there's a way on YouTube to only give certain folks permission to see certain videos. That way you can have a small close circle of folks sharing video! If we can figure out a way to keep it private amongst a few of us, I might be willing to do that.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #11  
No description available.

Hey Kate,

I checked out your video! You are so beautiful! Congrats for trying new and different things along your journey. I am not tech-y enough to do anything like that, and I lack the patience to learn, but I am impressed with your efforts. Hope it gives you the boost you need!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #12  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Good luck on this

I guess, if that will help you stay accountable, I can't see anything wrong with it. When I mentioned to my daughter that I was keeping an online blog, she replied "You and everyone else....". We both laughed. I am much older than you and all of these choices are quite new to me so I am taking it one step at a time.

I made the decision to include on my diet blog photos of me throughout my weight lose journey in my white underwear. I hear the part about accountability. I have made one decision in losing weight this time vs the 99 other times that I did. I was going to be honest with myself and all of you.

I don't like to change my ticker backwards and I have done that several times already since I began posting here. I also don't like to admit my failures and they seem daily but this is life and it is real. I wanted my photos to reflect that so when I get done I may not look like a Hollywood movie star but it will be a thinner and healthier version. I want people to know that losing weight is one of the hardest things I will ever have to do in my life and it isn't about waving a magic wand and pouf I am there!

If you can convey that to the rest of the world then you will have really set a good example for those who are starting out or wondering about losing weight.

All of us here know how difficult, frustrating and downright miserable it can be at times but that is why when we scale yet another mountain, NSV or whatever, the victory is so much sweeter!!

Good luck and keep us informed.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #13  

thanks everyone! if you want to join me let me know and we can do that "private video view" thing where you can pick who you want to see your videos. just shoot me a PM or something! we can do this!
Old 02-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #14  
Made of Starstuff

KateRN - If it helps you out in any way. Go for it! I know that letting the world know about our commitments often helps us to keep them.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote