Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #1  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Default Exercise calories (yes, again!)

I know the topic of adding back exercise calories has arisen countless times, and the consensus seems to be DON'T DO IT. And when I do an hour or so of cardio or pilates, I don't.

But Tuesday and Thursday mornings my gym has back to back pump and step - a total of 1 hour and 45 minutes of strength and high impact cardio. Those days I feel fatigued and can't focus unless I eat more. So, should the DON'T DO IT rule apply for days of extended intense exercise, or just the more standard 30-60 minutes of elliptical or something?

Earlier in my weight loss process, I could listen to my body and eat a little extra when I really felt like it. Now that I don't have all that much to go that doesn't seem to fly and I guess I need more of tough love approach. At the same time, I have stuff to do and can't really be mentally below par two days a week. Should I consider cutting back exercise? I'd really rather not do that - I love my workouts!

TIA
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

That's a lot of working out

We need more calories if we're working more than usual. You might not want to do it for regular exercise days, but perhaps those two days where you're going above and beyond a little extra food (maybe in the protein area?) could help the process.

I suppose the only way to find out is to give it a week or two and see how you feel.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215-220?/200/155

Height: 5'9"

Ummmm, maybe instead of adding calories, you could focus on where those calories are coming from OR by adding protein and if that adds calories oh well. From my understanding (not an expert) your body might be tired because it needs more protein after those intense workouts.

It's so awesome that you love your workouts though!! if you have to make a decision between the 2, i'd add a few more calories rather than work out less. Exercising is sooo much more beneficial to your body than getting less calories!
M a g g i e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:25 PM   #4  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

I'd add more protein (lf cottage cheese is a great source) and also some good carbs after your harder w/o's. It'll give you the fuel you need to keep going and help w/the recovery of the workout. I believe your body uses the carbs to help in the 'repair' part from the strength w/o.

Here's a link to a blog I really like. She's funny as **** and very knowledgable. Tons of links on her site too; lots of good info.; more answers.

http://skwigg.com/

Last edited by Hat Trick; 02-28-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If you're working out so much that you're really hungry, add a high volume, good quality protein snack...you can eat a veggie and egg white omelette, for example, for 100 calories or so, and it has plenty of protein and some good nutrition. That should fill you up without derailing your weight loss efforts, and fuel you enough to get you through those extra workout days.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I find that when I plan on doing a particularly hard workout I add in an extra 100cal fruit yogurt about 15 minutes before I work out. Keeps me full enough to get through without feeling hungry and it has what my body needs. But, even on my tough days I don't work out for more than about an hour.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

My saturdays are a bit like that

I have what I call my "Gauntlet Run" where I have Spin class, kick boxing class and then Pump back to back - starts at 8:45 and finishes by about 11:30. I get home and wait about 1 - 2 hours and then have a substantial lunch.

Other days I might do a double work out but again it's usually before a normal meal time like week day evenings - Thursdays I finish work early sometime and do a Spin - Pump double + abs and get home by 6:45pm and so have my dinner.

I don't eat my calories back though as such...just time it so it's before a meal! heh
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Beans View Post
I know the topic of adding back exercise calories has arisen countless times, and the consensus seems to be DON'T DO IT. And when I do an hour or so of cardio or pilates, I don't.

But Tuesday and Thursday mornings my gym has back to back pump and step - a total of 1 hour and 45 minutes of strength and high impact cardio. Those days I feel fatigued and can't focus unless I eat more. So, should the DON'T DO IT rule apply for days of extended intense exercise, or just the more standard 30-60 minutes of elliptical or something?

Earlier in my weight loss process, I could listen to my body and eat a little extra when I really felt like it. Now that I don't have all that much to go that doesn't seem to fly and I guess I need more of tough love approach. At the same time, I have stuff to do and can't really be mentally below par two days a week. Should I consider cutting back exercise? I'd really rather not do that - I love my workouts!

TIA
If you exercise an excessive amount you should eat more. Eating back does not mean wiping out all of the caloric gains you got from exercising, just enough so you stay strong.

I always eat more on big workout days. Think of it as a form of calorie cycling.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #9  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Hmm, the days where I'm not exercising at all and I'm at the office, I aim for around 1200-1300. The days I exercise - usually 40 min elliptical or running at highest intensity possible and some swimming - I'll have around 1400-1500. That's not eating more calories than I've spent exercising. I can't let myself get really hungry, I become a really sour person, so I kind of let that be my gage.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #10  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks for all the great feedback! And thanks for the link, Hat Trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
If you're working out so much that you're really hungry, add a high volume, good quality protein snack...you can eat a veggie and egg white omelette, for example, for 100 calories or so, and it has plenty of protein and some good nutrition. That should fill you up without derailing your weight loss efforts, and fuel you enough to get you through those extra workout days.
This sounds about right. I certainly don't plan or need to eat back all I burn (or estimate to burn, anyhow) - an extra 100-150 should do it. I eat pretty cleanly as it is, so these will be nutritionally dense calories. It's not so much about the timing though - I usually split my breakfast into two smaller meals, one before (rice cake with PB&J) and one after (CC with fruit and Kashi GoLean) my workout. It's just that the energy expenditure catches up with me over the course of the day. So any time I add the calories will help.

I hope I can manage my new routine with this adjustment. I just cut back my calories to 1350-1450 this week (aside from the big exercise days now, and one weekend day up to 2100), and I'm really struggling with hunger more than at any other time during my weight loss! I'm not sure this new plan will stick in the long run. Maybe a really disciplined 1500 every day would work out better. We'll see...

Last edited by 3Beans; 02-28-2008 at 10:51 PM.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:08 AM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! I used to live in Western Mass.

I'm at the same weight point you are, pretty much. I've had to increase my exercise and get strict on calories also--otherwise I just stall out.

I think you'll find adding protein, as others have recommended, will help the hungry feeling. I've learned that hunger just sometimes happens during weight loss, but not to let it carry me away.

And it's not forever--it's just until you reach your goal weight. I did maintenance for awhile, and it was pretty nice to have those extra calories back.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #12  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Try a protein bar before or after you work out. One that i really recommend that has all natural ingredients are the Kashi brand. I love the new "Crunchy" ones. The peanut and the almond are my two favorites. I also have fallen in love with some aerobics classes at the gym and these Kashi bars are definitely helping to keep me from overdoing my calories. They are about 180 or 190 each and keep you very satiated.
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote