Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/138/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Should I just avoid it??

I've always used my scale at home...well 2 scales at home, but no others. One scale is an old fashion "dial" type that I get on if I think I've been bad....since it's not so accurate...it will give me a GENERAL idea where I am, instead of an exact number. If the general idea is high, I'll stay off the good digital scale...if the general number is bouncing kinda low...I'll hop on the digital I have some issues

Anywho, I joined a gym fairly recently and finally found their scale.....wedged between the beverage vending machine and the lockers. Should I just NOT get on it? I'm so tempted, since it's looks so new and fancy!!! But I hear so many horror stories of people being so happy with their weight, then using a Dr or gym scale, being 20lbs heavier and ruining their lives. I'm not ready for that!! Someone please....talk me down from wanting to get on that darn scale!!! I'm so freaking happy at 133...I can't imagine all of the sudden going 6 months back in time and being 143 again! Even though I'll still look the same, I'll still feel like I look bigger if the number goes up. I know you all know what I mean...we're all a bunch of crazies!!
ThePrettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I think you've answered your own question ^^ You're not ready to see different numbers. Stay away from the other scale! Treat it as though it's a stranger with candy.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #3  

Ooooh candy!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #4  
The Princess

S/C/G: 225/206/150

Height: 5' 7"

You should weigh yourself once a week using the same scale. Go ahead and use the new scale at the gym if you want to, but make sure you're only using that scale. I find I weigh the least first thing in the morning, totally naked. I don't use any scale except the one at my house.
Dorys Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #5  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Keep away from the gym scale, keep away from the gym scale. You know it will not read the same . . . you know this. Even if it reads less than the one at home, would it then make you feel blubbery because the one at home says more?

In the Middle Ages, they had guillotines, stretch racks, whips and chains. Nowadays, we have a much more effective torture device called the bathroom scale.

Last edited by Hat Trick; 02-27-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If you can't handle the numbers on a different scale, don't get on the other scale..

By the way, it is ridiculous that, if that scale at the gym DID read you 10 lbs heavier, you'd be somehow "going back 6 months". Six months ago, it would have given you a weight 10 lbs more than what your scale did 6 months ago, and your entire starting place would have been different.

I feel like I say this a lot, but...the number on a scale does not define you! Your sense of your size and self-esteem should not depend on which little plastic box you stepped on that morning. These are just TOOLS, guys...not the end-all-be-all of measuring success! I've fallen into that trap too, but it is so destructive!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/123/120

Height: 5'5

So Funny! I do the EXACT same thing you do at home.
I also have two scales one digital and one old fashion.
And I NEVER get on the gym scale- just walk right past...
Lovestorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrettyOne View Post
Ooooh candy!
Nooooooo!!!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #9  

You girls always know how to keep me on track. And make me laugh
Old 02-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
By the way, it is ridiculous that, if that scale at the gym DID read you 10 lbs heavier, you'd be somehow "going back 6 months". Six months ago, it would have given you a weight 10 lbs more than what your scale did 6 months ago, and your entire starting place would have been different.
I agree and I disagree with this.... I mean, sure, if you want to look at it LOGICALLY, then you're right.

But emotionally, I can see how it would be like going back in time. I can identify with the crazies

Last edited by jellydisney; 02-27-2008 at 06:53 PM.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I do weigh on the scale at the gym -- the only scale I have at home is the dial version and all I ever have is a "general" sense. When I weigh at the gym it's always higher than home (later in the day, wearing clothes, different scale) and I know that and I track the changes...

But don't do it if you can't deal with it!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #12  
calories? what calories?

S/C/G: 245/176/110

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellydisney View Post
But emotionally, I can see how it would be like going back in time. I can identify with the crazies
I agree! I have been kinda depressed today, because my weight went up a pound, although I did not go off plan (untill today, my father made an exam they make professors do, if they want to teach, some new thing in our coutry, so I allowed myself an additional 700 calories for celebrating).

I actually upped my exercise quite a bit, and my weight gain is probably due to that, but... It still feels bad.

Do not go near the gym scale!!!
Aldebaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:29 PM   #13  
Mel

And I thought I was the only one psychotic enough to have a "happy scale" and a "real scale" I even have a magic tile on my bathroom floor!

Yes, I too know that the number does not define me, and I also know if I quit lifting so heavy I'd lose "weight", but scale numbers still make me crazy

DO NOT get on it!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #14  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Avoid it like the plague. It will cause you nothing but trouble. You have two scales in your life already. They will be jealous if you forsake them for another. They MIGHT even decide to make you pay for your infidelity ...
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #15  

I'm soooo glad I'm not the only one with the 2 scales for different moods

You girls have me cracking up at my desk

I'm staying FAR away from the gym scale. I like to be naked anyway and I'm sure that's against gym rules!!