Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default Packing a cooler with nutritious food for trip my boy and me...

I'm taking my three year old boy with me on a business trip for several days and my project of the day is plotting out what to pack that would be nutritious for both of us so that we don't eat junk food.

I have a very cute new Lunchopolis for my boy which came with a 15 oz water bottle (that I'm freezing as it'll double as an ice pack to keep his food cold), and 1 whole container, one half and two quarters - plastic washable containers to put his food in.

Then I bought and haven't used yet a cooler that plugs into my car and an ac adapter so I can plug it in at night at hotels. I've tried regular coolers and the ice melts quickly and food got old. So I found this at a truck stop. I'm going to pack in my own containers food for myself, and some more for my boy. Plus drinks for us.

I'll also have a list of where we can go out to eat a few times to break up the trip - no more buffets and high calorie fast food. My traveling contributed to my weight gain.

MY BOY:
So far I have a list of ideas for my boy for his Lunchopolis which will basically be his snack bag for when we are driving:
1. Water in the bottle, freezing so will double as an ice pack. Will also pack for him in my box more water and some apple juice.
2. The whole container is large enough for a stacked sandwich, peanut butter and jelly on the Ezekiel raisin bread.
3. Carrots, celery and snap peas in the half sized container
4. Amy's organic crackers in one 1/4 sized container
6. Cheese cut into small squares in the other 1/4 sized container
7. I'll throw in a few of the Cliff organic bars for kids
8. And if room apples cut into pieces & a small container of apple juice
(in my large cooler I'll have more water/juice, more cut up apples, more cheese for me and him, another sandwich, kids sized smoothies and yogurt, more granola, more carrots/celery with dip, oatmeal for breakfast with some dried berries, nuts, etc in containers)

MY COOLER:
I'm still working on my list for this... The Clean Diet book has ideas so I'll read that again and come up with some of my own too. In the next few hours I need my "list" as we might have to leave this afternoon, if not it'll be tomorrow.

Any ideas on what to pack, as you can see I'm in SUPER NUTRITIOUS MODE THESE DAYS and I'm feeling energetic and healthy!
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I do a lot of driving for work and road trips are the worst for me. I used to hit all the fast food places on the way, plus stock up on junk to keep in the car. Here's what I've started doing instead - in a cooler in the backseat.

String cheese
Cut up veggies (celery, baby carrots, radishes, jicama, etc.)
Edamame
Yogurt (in the tubes - freeze them and then they're a yogurt-pop for when you want something sweet)
I make baked oatmeal from my own recipe that has oatmeal, egg whites, dried fruit, nuts, and spices, then cut into soft bars. I take a few of those.
Lots of bottled water

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:31 PM   #3  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Good for you for packing meals instead of being seduced by temptation!
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #4  

I forgot about edamame, I bought some of that and haven't decided WHAT to do with it. Good idea about freezing the yogurt pop's my boy would love those as treats. How about frozen grapes too? I've read that kids like those, never tried to freeze them.

My ideas so far:
1. Contained with premixed oatmeal (whole oats), flax, wheat germ, bee pollen, raisens, dried blueberries and maybe protein powder for breakfast (alternative B is yogurt with packs of the Bear Naked granola) plus an apple or applesauce
2. Fruit & veggies choose from - apples, blueberries, carrots, snap peas, celery, cauli, radishes, cherry tomatoes, grapes, green beans, melon (1 c. servings), dried fruit like raisins and apricots (go easy on as has sugar, calories)
2. Hummus or light ranch as dip, 2 T servings
3. Chicken (grilled from freezer), tuna (cans), turkey (slices) 3-5 oz servings
4. Skim milk 1 c per day
5. Whole wheat wraps to make sandwiches with lunchmeat, hummus
6. Unsalted nuts/mostly almonds, health food store bought granola/mixes
7. Energy bars, Cliff kids bars for my boy, and me too, they are yummy
8. Nut butter - 2 T per day
9. Lowfat yogurt, cottage cheese, and cheese (sticks or slices)
10. Turkey jerky
11. Salad greens, spinich, with dressing (I asked Wendys for some extra fat-free french for the road, where do I buy; those myself?)
12. Low sodium v-8 juice, I've been drinking one small one mid morning for energy
13. Canned soups, and maybe a few frozen meals to heat up at hotel rooms
14. Napkins, plastic sliverware, ziplock bags, ice coolers
15. Water, green tea, and my bad habit of Red Bull

Now I need to refine this list and then I need my list of what restaurants and what items to eat on the road. Likely it starts with McDonalds for the chicken/apples/milk for my boy - and breaks to play! McDonalds is great for that. I've been doing the salads, burgers without buns, healthy chicken sandwiches with ww bread...

I'll need a plan (cooler items) for the shorter 1-2 day trips and also for the longer 3-4 day trips.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #5  

Also one premade turkey sandwich with tomato, lettuce, onion, etc.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #6  

I forgot the handy powdered protein/whey packets to mix with milk or water, or in cereal.

And also next my "fitness on the road" plan. There's actually a book about this I bought on amazon.com from Suzanne, the same author of the fitness journal.

Too late I ordered today a ropeless jumping rope. I'm going to miss my mini bouncer and I'm thinking this will be a great thing to do in a hotel room.

Also I'm thinking I'll bring my 8 lb dumbells and a dvd/workout that I like for the hotel if there's no weights. This dvd also has a cardio routine that I like. I'm starting to lift weights again and I'm finding that it HURTS right now as I quit for a time. I don't want to do that again and lose the muscle I'm building.

I also am going to write up a routine, from various books/ideas on a routine that can be done without weights, dips on hotel chairs, pushups, walking lunges, etc.

AND of course I can't forget to bring our swimsuits, to swim at a hotel for a break. Also I'll write down or bring the fitness travel book that has a routine for cardio/strength in a pool. I'm not a swimmer and was trying to figure out how to exercise in a pool, you can do knee ups, etc.

I've never worried about a fitness room at hotels but I might start refining where we stay based on a nice pool and fitness. I travel on a budget so we'll see. Also we found camper cabins are fun in the summer to save money, last summer we brought sleeping bags. We'll be able to grill hot dogs, etc when the season hits. BUT I might think about staying in them this winter/spring too as they are fun for my boy (bunk beds) and cheap.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #7  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Fruit Leathers!! So good!
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #8  

Yes I forgot fruit leathers... another treat for my boy. Thanks
Old 02-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

Frozen grapes are good but not necessarily for kids as grapes are the PERFECT size to get lodged in a wind pipe. But I don't know how old your boy is...
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #10  

Yikes, you are right, not a good idea... he's almost four years old BUT there was once when he was younger I was driving with my mom, he put something in his mouth, if we hadn't turned around! Whew. Scary stuff when you are driving and can't see your child.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

By the way...most hotels if you ask can give you a mini-fridge for your room. Usually they only have a couple, but usually it is free.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #12  

Packing work clothes for a short trip (in a backpack suitcase as I bring my boy and need my hands free sometimes): 2 pairs of gap black stretch jeans (I used to mix colors, but not it's just black, white and maybe one other color for simple travel), DKNY dark wash jeans (perfect fit with stretch), white stretch tee, black tee, black turtleneck, two long sleeve stretchy shirt (non wrinkle), warmer jacket, casual blazer (to throw on just in case someone's more formal), driving shoes, black ballet flats (pack easy, don't take up much room), Nike stretch pants/jacket, workout tee, jammies, beauty stuff (I'm crazy about Bobbi Brown and also take along travel sized samples), small hairdryer, cordless curling iron, swimsuit/shorts, workout shoes, ropeless jumping rope, 8 lb weights or one of those stretchy band things (if I could figure out what to do with it, I'll take along my travel/exercise book for routines), workout dvd, dvd player (movies for the kid too), calorie king book, exercise/eating journal, that deal that covers my eyes at night if a hotel room is too light...

I don't know why but I seem to feel better about myself, be able to focus more if I dress nice and am "groomed".. I've been trying to get my closet, makeup, hair stuff, etc all sorted out to essentials and what I really like. Plus a system for travel, so I have a bag of makeup, etc prepacked at all times, and stick with certain clothes.

My problem in the past - being unorganized, sloppy, not having a plan, then just giving up and eating whatever, not exercising, dressy sloppy etc. This new life is interesting for me... actually frees up creativity (I used to think a messy life was a plus for a creative nut).
Old 02-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #13  

You mean if there isn't a fridge in the room, you ask for one? I never thought of that. I'm thinking this cooler thing might work though - I can just bring it inside. BUT I just plugged the thing in to cool it down per the instructions and it's noisy, it'll have to run all night in the hotel, at least I can put it in the bathroom with a closed door.