Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #1  
Bikini Season :)

Default Stretch Marks

OK, why is it that even though the scale is not changing, i am *still* getting new stretch marks?!
i want to cry!
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:11 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I have absolutely no science to back this up, nor do I have any reason to believe this except that I've heard it on the boards before, but apparently as you lose you will see some "new" stretch marks appear, but they're really just ones you had before you lost. Something about your skin shifting and having more room to move and for some reason the color deepens on old ones you couldn't see before. I think if you think of your skin like a slinky it makes sense -- your skin is like an extended slinky until you lose weight, when it coils back together. And that re-compression of skin can result in color where you saw none before.

... Not sure if that helps, just know you're not alone in that problem.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #3  
FB

Yep- you're definitely not alone, I've been worrying about this lately! I've noticed this recently as well, old faded ones are reappearing. Yuck for me.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

I've got some on my stomach that are becoming more prominent as I lose. (Some... who am I kidding? I'm like a Google road map! )
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You may find some more information by browsing the posts here:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219

I agree that they probably aren't new, just more visible.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #6  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
(Some... who am I kidding? I'm like a Google road map! )

Yup! Me Too!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #7  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

LMAO Faerie! Google Road Map....Hahahaha! I'm sure my boss is wondering what the heck I'm doing since I burst out laughing at that comment!

I hear you on the stretch marks though! I have so many of them...especially on my stomach from pregnancy, but being very overweight for so long didn't help. My SO and I have agreed that once I've been at goal for 6 - 12 months I will have a tummy tuck. I saw Kate on John and Kate + 8 before and after her tuck and it just confirmed that that was what I wanted as my big prize for getting to goal and maintaining. While I can't imagine ever being able to show my stomach...it's a huge self image thing for me. I realize that not everyone will or can do it. But for ME...it's something that I'm working towards, like a light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers,
Tamara
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote