Old 02-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Lane Bryant Mirrors-- are they trick??

So I tried on some Lane Bryant pants the other day and I am looking in the mirror and thinking I look oddly narrow. At first I was sure a miracle had happened and I had lost 50 pounds. I then remember those were size 20 pants and I was at Lane Bryant so clearly I had not magically lost 50 pounds. sigh.

I remember this happening before, thinking that I looked narrower in their dressing rooms... and there is not a thing narrow about this body, I assure you of that. I really think they have special mirrors, like trick mirrors in a fun house!!

Am I crazy or has someone else had this experience???
KidsLibrarylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Maybe it's the lighting in the dressing rooms. Lighting can make changes like that, but I have experienced those things. I have a mirror in my room that is slightly leaning back and it makes me look thinner I think b/c I go and look in others and feel heavier. Stupid mirrors
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:47 PM   #3  
IncredibleShrinkingWoman

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'11"

Hahahhaahah!

You know, I find that in a ton of different stores, not just Lane Bryant. In fact, I think most Lane Bryants I go to don't have magical mirrors. Some do, but most don't. But I went to a Macy's the other week, and I went to the dressing room that was in the reg size section, and it had super magic skinny mirrors. I bought like four shirts, and when I came home, I was like, "What the heck happened!!!"
bigtxmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Tilting a mirror backwards slightly creates a longer, leaner slimming reflection, and it also allows a fuller view in a smaller space. Which is the primary goal and which is a side benefit, I couldn't tell you.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #5  

I am sorry-- that is hysterical!! Perhaps I just need to carry around a "super magic skinny mirror" all of the time. Why hadn't I thought of that earlier?? Thanks for the laugh, my husband actually got up to see what I was guffawing about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtxmomma View Post
Hahahhaahah!

You know, I find that in a ton of different stores, not just Lane Bryant. In fact, I think most Lane Bryants I go to don't have magical mirrors. Some do, but most don't. But I went to a Macy's the other week, and I went to the dressing room that was in the reg size section, and it had super magic skinny mirrors. I bought like four shirts, and when I came home, I was like, "What the heck happened!!!"
Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I have come to the conclusion ALL mirrors are trick mirrors. The ones I look good in, I couldn't possibly look good. The one I look bad in, I couldn't possibly look bad. So I always come away thinking I'm somewhere in the middle, and that's good enough for me.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/147/126

Height: 5'7"

I love skinny mirrors! We have one in our bathroom at work. I am even willing to look at my butt in that mirror.

BUT, let's not forget the fat doors. Have you ever seen yourself reflected in one of those glass doors, and you look twice your size? UGH! I HATE those!!!
SandiCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

The husband and I own a construction company and get asked about skinny mirrors all the time. I'd like to have one in my own home. Essentially it comes down to the flatness of the wall on which it is hung. Large mirrors are bent to fit the wall and even a sixteenth of an inch deviation in a wall can bend the mirror into all sorts of shapes. Some good. Some not so good.

It's generally not a conspiracy to get us to buy more stuff.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I often think the same thing about the mirrors at Catherine's, where I like to shop. I swear I look "thinner" at the store than at home!! I suspect they are "skinny" mirrors.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #10  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I've noticed it at most stores also. Interesting how it's a science!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #11  
Mellow but Sassy

S/C/G: 280/255/160

Height: 5' 11"

One of the bathrooms in my house has a lovely magic mirror.

It's broken up into two parts with about an inch and a half wooden strip between them. This happens just under my bra line for me.

The break extends out the torso and makes you look ridiculously skinny.

I love it.
Zen Pharmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:47 PM   #12  

This is cracking me up!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/237.5/140

Height: 5'5"

I can do without the super magic skinny mirrors if the rest of the world is wearing super magic skinny glasses! And especially if cameras used super magic skinny lenses!
cw61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #14  
On the road to find out..

S/C/G: 340/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

I totally agree with cw61! A magic mirror does me no good if nobody but me sees it. Personally I find the lighting pretty dim in most dressing rooms, but I was in Target the other day and it was really bright AND there was another mirror on the door so you could see your rear and your front at the same time. It wasn't too awful (except when bending over to take of the pants). I need to refrain from glancing in the mirror then. OH the horror! LOL
wennygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

Ive noticed it too!!
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote