Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #1  

Default Running

I really, really HATE it. I don't WANT to hate it but I do, as soon as I start to run i feel like I want to kill myself. I am otherwise a very active and athletic person, I ski, play tennis, rock climb, hike mountains, cycle and I'm very good at all of them.

Does anyone have any advice on running or getting to liek running? I think part of my problem is that i can't breath right because I get winded as soon as I start.
manchuntd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #2  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

I am totally not a runner, and have always hated running. But I decided to start. I, like you, could not run more than a couple mintues without feeling like I was going to die. But if you set a schedule and stick to it, you really can work up fast. I would try running really slowly for 10 minutes and then walk for for the rest of your desired time. I know 10 minutes doesn't sound like much of a goal, but it is! And after a few weeks you should be able to easily increase your time.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You could do a program like Couch to 5k...it basically ramps you up slowly to running a 5K.

But honestly, if you're really active and you HATE running, why do it? It isn't the magic bullet to physical fitness, and can be really hard on your joints.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:23 PM   #4  
:)

I absolutely LOVE running! My best advice is to put some really great pump-up or just great music in general on your MP3 player, turn it up as loud as it goes, and just alternate walking and running, eventually you will find a natural cycle. And after a little while, you'll be running miles straight!

I started out just jogging and listening to music I downloaded (illegally, lol), and I treated running more like a dance party, because I was having so much fun doing it!

I love songs like, Crushcrushcrush by Paramore, Meet Virginia by Train, Bigger than my Body by John Mayer, Helicopter by Bloc Party, and anything by J.Lo! Tom Petty has some fun music too.

But anyways, I live in a development so a lot of times my neighbors will see me dancing in the middle of the street, skipping around trashcans, and hopping onto and off of curbs and be like, theres that crazy running girl again! :-D

Good luck! =)
samick0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Amanda is right. If you've given running a fair shake and you really hate it, why do it? Get a bike and take up biking, take a fitness class, do yoga, swim, climb, lift, zumba, use the elliptical. No one has to do any exercise that they truly despise when there are so many to choose from.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #6  

If you can't breathe when you start you are running too hard. You should be able run at a comfortable pace and be able to talk. It may feel awkward to run that slow but you won't feel like you are dying. I think that's why a lot of people try to start and quit. It just sounds like you need to build up your endurance. Start with run/walk intervals.

And then if you get up to a 30 min easy run and you still hate it, then quit doing it.

Last edited by MissGiggles; 02-25-2008 at 08:29 PM.
MissGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

I have to disagree with bethbeth that STARTING to run 10 straight minutes is easy... That is not easy... The best way to start IMHO is to do the Couch to 5k where they recommend running for one minute or 30 seconds then walking one minutes for 20 minutes, then increasing your running time gradually, weekly I think is the recommendation...

I love running, but I am no Speedy Gonzales ... But I do enjoy it and it's great for weight loss...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 153/137/125

Height: 5'5"

I'm also in favor of a more gradual start than just running for 10 min straight. Also be sure to rotate other forms of cardio in while you're starting (maybe indefinitely) that are less strenuous on your joints. I started out jogging every day, and I soon developed a pain in my hip from overuse. I haven't jogged in over a week but the pain hasn't gone away entirely... I wish I could have just avoided it in the first place! I'm getting anxious because I have my first 5k in a month and I would have loved to be using this time for training, but I'm trying not to make the same mistake a second time.
TigerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #9  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I used to hate running, and then one day I decided I wanted to run five miles straight. I have no clue why I decided that. But having a goal made me motivated to get to the gym or get outside and do it. It took me seven months, but I went from running one mile (barely!) at 5.0 mph (12 minute mile) to running five miles at 6.5 mph. Now, a year later, I'm training for a marathon, can run a 5K in 25 minutes (which will not win any races, but makes me happy!), and can run over 13 miles without stopping. I took where I was when I started and added a half mile a week or increased the pace on the treadmill every week until I got to where I wanted to be.

For me, it was all about the goal.

But I also agree with the others. There's no rule that says you HAVE TO run for exercise. If you really don't like it, pick something else!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:53 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

do what makes you happy and do what keeps you motivated. If you hate running....don't do it. Honestly, its not the "gold pill" for weight loss. As mandalinn stated...runnin can be very hard on your joints. You can do other things that can burn just as much calories. Find something you like...but i do recommend switching up exercises and doing different things to keep your muscles guessing.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:57 AM   #11  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

I recommend trying the Couch to 5K program (just google it and you will find the website with the training program on it). I too hated running for my entire 25 years because I always tried to do too much too quickly, I would get out of breath too much and would give up. I decided this year that I wanted to try some different form of exercise from what I was doing, so I started the C25K program. I'm on week 7 of 9 and I'm up to running 25 straight minutes. Now, it's not easy, but it's definitely gotten easier than when I started. The C25k program is great because it really is for non-runners - it is so gradual that you don't even notice when you are running 8-10 straight minutes, then on to 20-30 straight minutes.

But on the other hand - I have to agree with some of the others - if you REALLY hate running, then it's ok to hate running. It sounds like you are otherwise an active person, so not liking one form of exercise is ok. I suggest you try the C25k program for a week or two, and if you still hate it, then stop. Running isn't the only sport thank goodness!
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

TigerSoup -- I used to get sore hips also, then someone advised me to stretch the hip area more and that did the trick no more hip pain.... So it may not be overuse after all... Stretching is very important when you run...
Old 02-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 153/137/125

Height: 5'5"

Hi Ilene,
Ya stretching was definitely a contributor to the pain. I've since learned some good stretches for that area and have been stretching out after my walks/bike rides, but the pain hasn't gone away entirely yet. Maybe because I didn't listen to my body the first time (kept running despite my hip hurting) I overdid the muscle past the point that I could have fixed it by stretching. I'm looking forward to starting up my running again and see if stretching beats the problem for good =)
TigerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I get sore hips when I run too, but the pain is in the joint--kinda like knee pain. Can someone point me in the direction of a stretch that could help? (I never, ever, ever stretch. I hate stretching.)
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

Here are a few pics of my favourite stretches.... The first 3 I usually do at the back door when I arrive from my run.... then I come in and do the rest....The last one is totally awesome for the hips.... There is another one I do that I could not find the picture for... I do it last after the last picture shown here... Lying on the floor put the soles of the feet together, let the knees fall open, then stretch your arms over your head and stretch tall, even if you are lying on the floor....
Hope these help....