Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #1  
Im a work in progress!!

Default Whats your sodium intake?

This is the only real thing that concerns me in my daily intake? I dont have any problems where I need to watch my sodium intake. Im just curious where everyone who is losing weight keeps there sodium??
CountryGirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I don't watch mine, except in a general "I had a lot of sodium today, so my scale tomorrow might run a little high" sort of way. I drink a lot of water and eat a mostly whole-foods diet, but do use salt when I cook.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I don't watch mine at all. FitDay says I'm getting just under 100% of my daily value. I don't have any problems with blood pressure, so it's not a concern to me.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I aim for under 2400mg per day (the recommended max.) HBP runs in the family and I had problems with it in the past, so it's important to me.

Honestly though, I don't need to watch it super closely. I only go over when I go out for Chinese, Thai, or Japanese food. I don't eat much in the way of processed food, so it's not an issue when I eat at home.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:02 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

High.

It's my one true vice and you can pry the salt shaker from my cold dead hand. I would sooner give up coffee and alcohol than salt. ...and my BP is 95/55 so wth.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

I try to keep mine less than 2400 also. My dr would love for me to keep it at 1800. I do have high blood pressure...its completly under control with med.
I had a used a marinate last night that was salty and today i was up a half of pound. I really try to stay away from salt in my cooking. I have to use salt in hubbys food because he is on lithium and it depletes his body of sodium. So for the most part I try to stay away from processed food( no tv dinners)
I also buy my veggies frozen or salt free. I cook them then take mine out and salt them for hubby.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #7  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I try to keep mine less than 2400. Usually no problem, but I have not found an issue when I go over that with water retention. My BP is usually on the low side.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I don't watch mine, except in a general "I had a lot of sodium today, so my scale tomorrow might run a little high" sort of way.
Same here. I honestly don't know what my daily sodium intake is.

Ok, so I just went and looked at my Spark-people log and it really is all over the place. At the lowest, it's around 1000 and at the highest, it's over 4000. I guess it averages around 2500 or so.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 02-25-2008 at 07:32 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #9  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I haven't been all that conscious about it. So I went and looked at my average on FitDay and over the past week my avg is 2688/day. So a little on the high side. I eat quite a bit of canned beans and tomoto products, tuna and cheese... I LOVE salt.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #10  
Can't Never Did Nothin'

S/C/G: 212/166/140

Less than 600mg/day.
Catmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I don't watch my sodium. I have low blood pressure and always have.

BUT I also don't add salt to any of my cooking. DH makes me put salt in the rice cooker when I cook rice just because it might boil over if not. Otherwise, most of my added sodium comes from when I eat out.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #12  

my sodium intake is really high too. i tried to monitor it with fitday using 2400 as a guide. but i was always way over that. even when i was more careful about how much extra salt i added to my food, i was still over even though i don't drink soda or eat frozen dinners very often. so i decided for right now not to worry about it and focus on other aspects of my diet. i never noticed a distinct increase in my weight on a day i had a lot of sodium though.
countrygirl7902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 312/307/142

Height: 5'6

I was just wondering this same thing. I just started actually tracking all of my foods using CalorieKing's tracking software (which I really love, BTW). Right now when I'm eating mostly healthy, it's less than 2000 mg. Just for the heck of it, I put in some of the things that I used to eat on a daily basis (i.e. fast food) and I was horrified! I was consistently eating over 4000.

I recently read an article that sodium is one of those things that people should really pay a lot more attention to. As you can see from this thread only, it's probably right. Not too many of us are keeping track of our daily sodium. I think as long as your BP is good, you're probably okay. I just recently discovered I had high BP, and now I know why. I was eating WAY too much salt.
kcmolisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #14  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I don't watch mine, except in a general "I had a lot of sodium today, so my scale tomorrow might run a little high" sort of way.
Also, same.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

That new book Eat This Not That has some examples of different types of foods you can buy with lower sodium. In my new "health" and not just diet mode I'm learning about sodium, and had no clue how much I was consuming. Now I actually read labels, and I'm getting to the point where I have a list of what products I can buy that are the lowest in sodium. I just read this top selling book and it helped me refine my list a little more, especially with soups and things. Why eat a high sodium soup when there are better choices? I think the key is figuring out what's best, having lists at the store - and reading sodium and sugar on labels, just trying to stick with the lowest possible. I think if one does the "clean eating" way of dieting one will lose weight.... clean eating means low sodium. I don't feel as bloated these days, my clothes fit better and I think a lot has to do with the salt intake.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote