Old 02-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #1  

Default Have you ever read a book by Geneen Roth?

I was just doing a little research on eating disorders/emotional eating and found some interesting books by Geneen Roth regarding emotional eating. Has anyone ever read any of her books (before I hit the library for them) -- I don't have a lot of spare time to read and want to get the most of my 15 minutes!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:11 AM   #2  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

I have - they're WONDERFUL. I feel like I know her (or was her, in another life.) Highly recommend!
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Yes, I have read some of her writings. It's very good...she talks about what I call intuative eating. Eating when you are really hungry and eating things you like. It's good and worthwhile to read.

Parts of what she says are so, so good.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #4  

Thanks, off to get her first book from the library -- just didn't want to waste my time on a book that stinks!!! I have actually read a couple of books on intuitive eating and like the idea.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #5  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

I think my intuition is broken when it comes to food....I wonder if that can ever be fixed...
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #6  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Yes, I've read all her books and have been to hear her speak as well. She is awesome and I highly reccommend getting your hands/ears/eyes on anything you can of hers!!!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #7  

Linda -- I hear you!! My women's intuition, mother's intuition and wife intuition seem to function quite well -- but my food related intuition seems to have fallen and it can't get up!!

However, I am a control freak of sorts and things like counting calories, WW points, etc. just seem to send me over the edge -- just with the limited reading I've done on intuitive eating, it seems to be more calming to me -- we'll see.

Soulbliss -- Thanks -- you definitely helped me make up my mind -- can't wait to get her stuff She has an article in Goodhousekeeping quite often and I've saved every one of them. Time to read a book!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:47 PM   #8  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

Shelby, I loved "When You Eat At The Refrigerator, Pull Up A Chair". It has the typical Geneen Roth humor and insight, but the format is in these great, short essays- similar to her newspaper articles. I could read a quick chapter or two even on a busy day, and it is easy to come back to for emergency motivation!
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #9  

So, should I just get these from the library or do you think it's worth it to buy her books?
Old 02-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #10  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

I love and own most of her books. It's well worth it to buy them so you can refer to them repeatedly. I bought most of mine at Half-Price Books.

She is amazingly inspirational and I credit reading her books with a good part of my success. I cannot recommend them enough.
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #11  

Thank you Mary -- I wasn't able to order any yet, but did pick up two from the library today to at least get starked. I LOVE to read
Old 02-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #12  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Please let us know what you think of her work! I hope it helps you as much as it did me.

BTW, I'm very envious of whoever said they got to hear her speak in person.
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #13  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile I think she was the one who coined the phrase

..."It's not what you are eating, it's what is eating you."

I read her books about twenty years ago when they first came out. Since I gained all of my extra weight primarily from two reasons 1) hormonal and thyroid 2) emotional, her theories really interested me.

My understanding is that she lost over 100 lbs through her own methods.

I haven't kept up with where she is at now but I used to read and reread her books until they were torn, highlighted and falling apart. I can't say that about too many books that I have read.

Half of my life I was an intuitive eater. The other half I was an emotional eater. I want to return to being the way I was. I hope I will---someday.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote