General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295 - Ticker - 145

Height: 5'5"

Default Wheat free eating

Hello,

I am believed to have a wheat allergy - results will be coming to me as soon as I get my referral - and I am trying to eliminate or at least reduce wheat from my diet. I tried to search for wheat free, but it gave me every post with the word wheat in it haha, and when I searched wheatfree together it didn't yield many results

So my question is: Are there any wheat allergic 3FCer's out there who can give me a little guidance on how to go about this. It seems that wheat is in everything nowadays, so if you have some super good site that has recipes for wheat free stuff I would love you forever

TIA!
gracie453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:34 AM   #2  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

Try gluten free. My mom has celiac, not an allergy but wheat, oat, barley, rye intolerance. There is a difference between the two. Her intestines don't absorb the gluten which causes all kinds of stomach and bowel upset. She had to have a biopsy to determine whether or not she had the disease.
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:40 AM   #3  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

Oh and another thing, if it is celiac and not an allergy, my mom also cannot have soy and a few other grains as well, mostly corn. There are some really good rice pastas available and so forth but be sure to read labels very well, even some vanillas contain gluten. I would recommend, until you get straightened out at least, to stick with minimally processed foods. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits and the rice pastas would be good, just be sure to read your labels on the sauces.

http://www.glutenfree.com/

I have found numerous gluten free cookbooks at my local library as well. Also try recipes.com and just look under "gluten free". Good luck!
Lara

Last edited by Brendansmum; 02-25-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:05 AM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

There's also a blog - and book based on it - called glutenfreegirl. that has some great advice and recipes.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295 - Ticker - 145

Height: 5'5"

Thanks so much for the responses - and the wonderful websites!

I don't believe I have celiac disease, as per my symptoms (itching swelling and tiredness), but you never know. It could also be something that I have not thought of, the reason I started pointing to wheat was because I have a family hx of it. Hopefully my doctors office will hurry up with the referral already so I can find out for sure

Thanks again
gracie453 is offline   Reply With Quote