Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/138/120

Height: 5'2"

Default To those of you that have lost....

Sorry...the subject line should read "To those of you THAT have lost....." And I have a huge pet peeve for people who don't double check the subject of a thread....sorry Nevermind, someone fixed it for me

The other day I heard something that bothered me, even though I don't think it should and I can't stop thinking about it. Obviously when you are overweight, chubby, fat, whatever, most people won't say it to you, or anyone, outloud at least. But after you lost, does it hurt your feeling when they say something like "you used to be so big, you look great now". Even though you are thin now, does it still, even a hurt a little? Me and my boyfriend talk about our weight weight loss pretty freely, are honest with each other and how we both look, it's all good. We both had to lose about 30lbs (took me a year, he lost it in 2 months, blah to him!) and are happy and sexy and wonderful now The other day he was telling me about a girl at work and how she told him she wanted to meet me. He said to her "you did meet her, she was sitting next to my mother at dinner back in August" (he manages a restaurant and she is one of his servers). And she had the B@LLS to say "oh that was her, my god she's beautiful, but a little bigger than I imagined for you" Mind you I'm 26, he's 28 and she's in her mid 20's as well....she was not "too young to know better". Needless to say he was appalled but just said how wonderful I am yada yada all of that good stuff...didn't mention that I've since lost 30lbs, that's absolutely none of her business. She'll find out for herself next time I visit the restaurant (in my bikini? lol), which is incredibly rare...we like to keep his work and myself seperate. If I saw him at work I may see him in a different light. Big boss of the big restaurant yells alot and fires people. I still think he's kinda sweet at home and want to keep it that way!

If someone at work introduced me to his wife and I thought she was unattractive. I SURELY would not say "she's nice but man I thought you could do better than that". You are talking about someone the person loves and cares for very much, not some freaking one night stand!!!! Do people have NO manners???? Anyway, after he told me that I was consumed by it. No one has ever mentioned my weight. I look great now but all I can think of is HOW many other people thought that about me 30lbs ago.....I can't stop thinking about it!

Luckily I have the ego of 3 men so it's hard to break me down.....but it definitely pissed me off. She's no skinny-mini herself!!!

Last edited by ThePrettyOne; 02-25-2008 at 12:10 PM.
ThePrettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:20 AM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Oh yes, one of our customers was gushing on and on about how great I looked.

Then she said " You were SO huge before".

The only thing I could think of to say was "Well, I am still the same person inside". She kind of stopped and maybe realized that wasn't the best thing to say. That both kind of hurt me, and really irritated me at the same time!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'4"

WOW.

that is just out and out rude. Why couldn't she have left it at "she's really pretty"... women can be really catty you know what's sometimes. I wouldn't dwell on it that much though - chances are MOST people never thought of you in that kind of light.
no one, except immediate family, ever says anything to me about my WL. sometimes it's kind of annoying, because i am really proud of myself and how far i've come. but my boyfriend's friends or co-workers saying something like that? holy crap that would never happen (partially bc my bf would probably get really mad at said person, and he has a temper to beat the band and as he says "no one is allowed to hurt your feelings except for me" lol)
the one person that has ever said anything about my size hasn't been welcome in our house for several years - not just because of that, but that was the straw that broke the camel's back, definitely.
karmuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:32 AM   #4  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrettyOne View Post
I look great now but all I can think of is HOW many other people thought that about me 30lbs ago.....I can't stop thinking about it!
I sort of have this problem now. I've recently started seeing a new guy who, frankly, has a great body He takes care of himself and you can tell! I, on the other hand, am stil "bigger" even though i've lost a lot of weight I'm a size 12/14 and in my opinion have quite a ways to go. So I wonder sometimes if people think that about me when we're together. "Why is he with her?" "He could get any hot chick he wants" etc. etc. I'm not really insecure about him thinking that because obviously he's with me for a reason, otherwise he would go out and find someone else! But I can be insecure about it when meeting his friends, family, etc. *sigh*
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

that is rude,

what gets me is people who find out that you are loosing weight and then practically everytime you see them they say "WOW you look great," even when you have not lost or even gained since the last time you saw them. I have one aquanitance, who if I lost as much weight as she says I did I'd weight 30# right now.

I wish people were more free to talk about weight, many people who are overweight are in denial about it. Hearing how great and thin you look from your friends when it is unwarrented does not help you realize you have a problem. There are polite ways to handle these conversation topics without flat out lying. I believe you can be overweight and still look great, tell someone they look great when then do, but don't lie about their weight.

It's even more annoying when doctors don't say anything to overweight patients. I went to the gyno to talk about my PCOS, she prescribed medication and told me all about the disease not one mention of weight. I had to flat out ask her how my weight was contributing to the problem and even then she danced around the issue.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Catherine,

That is one reason I love foreign trained doctors. They will say something about your weight. American trained doctors don't seem to at least in my experience.

I too have PCOS which I know is a mixture of weight and diet. It has improved greatly over the past couple years.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

that lady was rude!! You are beautiful!! Just remember some people are just ignorant!! dont let her bother you!!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #8  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I personally don't mind when people say: "You look fantastic!" or even "Wow! Have you loss some weight? You look great!". All the people I've talked to have been very positive about it--it gets a little embarrassing sometimes, but I'm never offended. I know I look better now than I ever have before, so why should I get offended over someone paying a compliment and recognizing my hard work?

Now, I've never had anyone put a negative spin on it, so maybe that's why I've never been offended. I've never had someone tell me: "MAN, you were SO FAT before, you look SO MUCH BETTER now"--that would offend me. But just paying a compliment doesn't bother me.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I fixed your thread title.

Other than that...wow, how irritating. But, you know, people often don't think before they open their mouths. And I think there is a serious undercurrent of cattiness in the restaurant industry in general (have you read any books by Anthony Bourdain? Might give you an idea what I'm talking about).

Point is - you're above all of that, so don't even dignify it with another thought.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #10  

^^ Thank you!

And you are all right, I know. Just onve in a while someone says something that sticks in your mind like cholesterol in your veins!
Old 02-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #11  

Height: 5'3"

I haven't lost enough yet for that stuff but I have dealt with other things that are on the same line.

For a while my mom had started to lose a little weight (she ended up gaining again though ...) and my stepdad's mom would comment on it all the time around me, it's great that she wants to compliment my mom, but she seemed to do it around me as to make a point, like, "oh look your mom can lose weight, how about you??" I don't think they understand that when people do that they make me want to eat more, and not lose any weight, just to spite them.
beautybooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:23 PM   #12  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrettyOne View Post
Do people have NO manners????

Not much. If a friend had said this we'd laugh together about it. If someone I didn't know or know very well said it, I'd put her in her place. Congrats on your weight loss.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #13  
Made of Starstuff

I think some people trip over themselves when they go to compliment someone. Like, instead of simply saying "Wow! You're looking great." They open their mouths and whatever they had specificially been thinking comes out.

What that lady says was not nice whatsoever. She may have had foot-in-mouth disease that day. lol That said, I don't think it was all that necessary for your beloved to repeat what she said. (Causing you such stress over some nobody you hardly even know.) I'll forever remember this phrase "One who repeats an insult to you, is also insulting you."

Ignorance of such things is bliss.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:33 PM   #14  

I agree I would have rather him not tell me But we were at a bar and heavily intoxicated....sometimes we start talking and don't know when to stop. He wasn't saying it to hurt my feelings......sometimes he's just too honest for MY own good
Old 02-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 207/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisher View Post
I sort of have this problem now. I've recently started seeing a new guy who, frankly, has a great body He takes care of himself and you can tell! I, on the other hand, am stil "bigger" even though i've lost a lot of weight I'm a size 12/14 and in my opinion have quite a ways to go. So I wonder sometimes if people think that about me when we're together. "Why is he with her?" "He could get any hot chick he wants" etc. etc. I'm not really insecure about him thinking that because obviously he's with me for a reason, otherwise he would go out and find someone else! But I can be insecure about it when meeting his friends, family, etc. *sigh*
I totally feel you on this one. My husband takes really good care of himself as well. When we met I had just lost 60 pounds and I was working out. While I'm only 20 pounds heavier than I was when we met I'm still 70 pounds heavier than I should be. I often feel like people are wondering why we're together. We work at the same place, but on different shifts and when I tell people we're married they're like "really?". I'm like why is that so hard to believe? People are just mean.

Last edited by cbuggin22; 02-25-2008 at 02:54 PM.
cbuggin22 is offline   Reply With Quote