Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

Default A good sprouter?

Can someone recommend a good sprouter? I love sprouts and I'd like to grow mine, nice and fresh. Does anyone have one that they really like? I've tried the homemade mason jar thing, but even if I rinse them several times daily, they still get moldy. I've heard the store bought sprouters work a bit better. Any suggestions?
missingmyerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think mold is a regional problem, not a problem with the sprouter. I bought my sprouting jar in a health food store in Illinois, but it is only a gallon jar with a plastic screen lid. I noticed in a local healthfood store they also sell the screen lids seperately. In Illinois (usually in the winter) I sometimes would have a problem with molding sprouts (more so when I moved to a town that was in south central rather than northcentral Illinois). However, since moving to Wisconsin, haven't had a moldy batch of sprouts ever.

I'm also very allergic to molds and mildews and in Illinois had to to take allergy medications year-round. We've been is Wisconsin about three years now, and hardly ever have an allergy sniffle.

I bough a sprouting mix that on the package recommended using citric acid if molding was a problem (I don't remember the amount or whether it was put in the soaking water or the rinse water, but googling will likely give you the answer).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:53 AM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

I use the mason jar and plastic lids with holes that I got at the store. The key for me is - I think - that my DH make a wooden holer that lets you lay the jar down on a slant. I put it on that to drain into the sink, and leave it there all the time. I rinse them 2-3 times a day (usually 2, at breakfast and dinner time) Never had a mold problem. But then, it's not very humid here.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote