Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

Default broken tailbone

Hello all! I do believe I just broke my tailbone (rollerskating ). I fit into all the symptoms of a broken coccyx. What a pain in the butt (ha, ha). My question is, has anyone else had this type of injury? What did you do for exercise? I was really looking forward to upping my running time tonight, and might still try. I'd really like to reach my Feb. goal. Any suggestions or tips would be helpful.

Thanks all,

Jenny )
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/199.4/130

Height: 5'1

I don't know about you, but when I injured my tailbone, I couldn't move without being in pain. I basically had to lay on my side for about three days (and my favorite... at work meetings, couldn't sit down, had to stand up). I would take a break for a few days and then get back in the groove... I wouldn't chance injuring yourself further.
kikimonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I've bruised my tailbone badly before and I thought for sure it was broken at the time. Even bruising hurts like crazy. If it still hurts Monday, I'd go into the doctor.

I don't think I'd exercise if I was in pain.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:55 AM   #4  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Sorry to hear about your fall. I don't know what to do for a broken tailbone...I'd probably call the doc if you have one, for advice, or google it to see if you can get an idea...Maybe you can ice it a few times a day, then see the doc on Monday if it hasn't proved to be just bad bruising.

Cheryl
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

I've broken my tailbone twice (I know...I know...) and the BEST BEST BEST thing that I found in terms of exercise was swimming. Granted, the way I did it was that I was on a swim team and I fell on the pool deck, so I've always been into swimming...but since there's no impact you don't get that jolt to the spine. And, there are so many ways to swim that if one stroke hurts too much, you can always switch to another one. Also, I found that floating in the water felt really really awesome because it took all the pressure off!

You might want to consider walking instead of running, or even doing the elliptical as those have less impact and might hurt less.

Hope you feel better!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I wouldn't exercise for a couple of days and leave it rest, unless it's an exercise that doesn't aggravate it at all... If it's still bad after a week I'd get it checked...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

Thanks everyone for the advice!! I slept on my side last night (couldn't lay on my back), and am feeling a little better now. I can get in and out of the car S-L-O-W-L-Y!! I feel best when I am standing, but will not try the treadmill just yet. Might do some light upper body weights though, depending on comfort. Thanks again for all your help!!

Jenny
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I've cracked my tailbone 3 times and bruised it once. I would say to take it easy for a few days, then slowly ease back into it. I agree with artsnsmarts swimming is best. I'd stear clear of running for a week or so.

I feel your pain, hope you feel better soon!
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote