Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #1  

Default Cutting out high-fructose corn syrup? xposted

I've been doing a lot of reading about the negative effects of HFCS and I was wondering if anyone has tried cutting it out? What are your experiences both with and without HFCS?

I know that this might be more of a "Whole Foods Lifestyle" issue but I wanted to get a wide base of responses. Mods, move me if you need to. Thanks!
mariolatry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:37 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I cut out that junk years ago. Following a whole foods lifestyle makes it easier, naturally, but it can be done even if processed and packaged foods make up a big part of your plan. You just need to be an avid label reader and choose more "natural" brands.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

It's surprisingly easy to cut out if you do a little label reading and try to stick to organic products. I eat a mainly whole foods diet, so I can't really tell if I feel great because of eating whole foods or giving up HFCS or both.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I'm working hard to cut out HFC where I can. It's really surprising what things it's in ... and it's made me even more of a label reader than I already am.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I read labels and try to avoid HFCS. Mainly because of reading The Omnivore's Dilemma. I try to avoid as many additives as possible, without making my shopping life overly difficult. I don't know that I actually feel better for it. Just morally superior - just kidding.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

I avoid HFCS as much as possible, but I won't have a conniption if I found out that something I ate had it in it. I read labels ALL THE TIME, and won't buy anything with HFCS (except for once in a great great while).

It actually gets a lot easier as you go along!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:54 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I'm currently on South Beach, so I really don't eat much with any sort of processed sugar in it anyway, but even before I switched to this plan, I was avoiding HFCS. I don't blame it for the "obesity epidemic" as some people do, but I figure if it's so darn controversial, I'd rather just not have it as part of my diet. I'm not really completely on whole foods, though, as I do still eat some Splenda and drink diet sodas.

Also, like others, I can't say limiting HFCS in my diet has made me feel different because I did it at the same time as making other changes (like eating healthier in general), so it's hard to pinpoint just one ingredient and say that it was THAT that made me feel better and lose weight more successfully. All I know is it's junk, and my body doesn't need it.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I avoid HFCS as much as possible. If I am going to eat something sweet, I would prefer that it had real sugar, honey, or something like that in it. At least I know what it is, and it isn't fake food engineered by man.

I read the labels, and try to buy items that don't have it. Even for my kids, I try to buy cereal bars and granola bars from the health food and organic section, and buy them fruit leathers (like Stretch Island) instead of the popular brands of "fruit snacks". I try to stay away from regular sodas as well.

I find that foods with HFCS are often "trigger foods" for me. They are addicting.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote