Old 02-21-2008, 03:54 PM   #1  
The Witchy Veggie

S/C/G: 297.3/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Default March Ostara Chat

Well, there's only eight days left in February, and its already warming up to the sixties and seventies in my neck of the woods. I'm going to try really hard to do a ritual this year for Ostara. Anyone have a good solitary ritual? I also want to cook up a big vegan meal, so if anyone has any good suggestions for that, that'd be awesome.

How's everybody doing?
gaia2094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:18 PM   #2  
On the Path again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I have a vegan black bean chili recipe somewhere. Let me see if I can dig it up.

Here's a great vegan cake recipe:

Gluten-free, Vegan Mexican Chocolate Cake

Ingredients for Cake:
1 box “Gluten-Free Pantry” Old fashioned cake and cookie mix
2 medium overripe bananas
½ cup Earth-Balance Butter Substitute (THE best butter substitute by far)
3/4 cup Silk plain soymilk
4 tbsp bulk chocolate powder from the coop (Use the best you can find, the darker the better)
2 tsp Rain’s Choice Vanilla in Bourbon (or 1tsp regular vanilla, 1 almond flavoring)
¼ tsp ground cinnamon from the co-op (it’s fresh & goes a long way)
¼ tsp baking powder (cake mix has leavening, but this extra is needed for egg-free recipes)

Ingredients for Frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup hot water
2 tbsp Earth Balance Butter substitute
4 tbsp bulk chocolate powder
1 tsp Rain’s Choice Vanilla in Bourbon (or ½ tsp regular vanilla, ½ tsp almond flavoring)
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt

Technical notes: The bananas are the egg substitute. Their size and moisture content are not reliable, hence the need for moisture adjustment in recipe below. Also, this cake does not rise as high as ‘normal’ cake. Results should be a moist, dense cake with a fine crumb.

Cake Directions:
Mash bananas into 3/4 cup soymilk, pour into blender and add ½ cup New-Balance, 2 tsp Vanilla. Blend on low speed until smooth & fluffy. Appx 30 seconds to a minute.

In a bowl, combine cake mix, chocolate powder, cinnamon, baking powder, and stir together until it is a uniform color.

Stir liquids into dry mix, using a large whisk. This may result in a thick, ‘bready’ batter. Add up to an additional ¼ cup of soymilk, incrementally, until you achieve a velvety smooth batter. This will still be somewhat denser than the usual cake-mix batter – but if you thin it too damp, being egg-free it may not hold together well. Strive for a balance. Try not to overstir.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan. Spoon in batter, swirl top until level. Bake 28 minutes. Cool 10 min, then remove from pan.

Frosting Directions:
Standard chocolate icing listed in Joy of Cooking, with cinnamon and vanilla in bourbon, using Earth Balance Butter Substitute.

Melt 2 tbsp Earth Balance on LOW heat. Stir in chocolate powder, cinnamon. Once that’s all nice & shiny, turn off heat. Add water, vanilla and salt, stir until smooth. Add in 1 & ¾ cup powdered sugar, stirring constantly. Keep adding powdered sugar until it is somewhat shiny & stiff enough to think about holding a peak – but not quite that stiff. When everything has cooled down, frost cake.
jeepifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #3  
The Witchy Veggie

That sounds completely awesome... I'm going to try that one as soon as I'm back at my sister's!
Old 02-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Gaia-

Google Ravensgrove. It is a coven that also has an online forum/message board where many mebers post, put up information, etc. Usually before each holiday, there is information posted about rituals and celabratory things that one can do (alone or with family).

At Samhain, there were lots of recipes, kids activities, decorating ideas, and rituals posted. There are also a lot of things on herbs, dieties, and so on posted there. Everyone is really friendly.

I hope that everyone is having a wonderful month. I have been super busy!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #5  
The Witchy Veggie

It died again! Well, I'll fix it.

What are some cool rituals or traditions that you do for Ostara, or really any holiday?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #6  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

we just had a major snowstorm. Spring is so out of my head. Itès that achin fever feeling... The next three weeks are probably going to bring dramatic change.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #7  
On the Path again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

We haven't done anything special for Ostara. It's still 30 degrees here with melted snow and mud all over. The ground's too frozen to absorb water just yet, so the snow melts and the water just stands around and re-freezes. I really miss nice spring weather and being able to do things outside.

Anyone have ideas for Ostara fun with 2 little kids? We'll probably hunt eggs and they'll get the "easter" basket at my in-laws.
jeepifer is offline   Reply With Quote