Old 02-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default This week's Worlds Healthiest Food - Oranges!

I love oranges and I grew up in California on oranges. The funny thing is it took me years after moving from California to eat oranges again. Mostly because I was suffering from sticker shock at how expensive they are outside of CA.

I now try to integrate oranges and other citrus in my regular diet.

Food of the Week . . . Oranges
Did you know that although oranges are renowned for their vitamin C, they are also important as a source of dietary fiber? One medium-sized orange contains 13% of your daily recommended intake for fiber. While we usually consider most of the fiber to be in the fleshy pulp of the orange, research is finding that pectin and other forms of fiber found in the white layer immediately beneath the skin of the orange can help curb appetite and suppress hunger for up to four hours! And contrary to common belief, the white pulpy portion of oranges is not bitter. Whole oranges are also a healthy snack for people with diabetes because the fiber helps keep blood sugar levels under control. By selecting a whole fresh orange over a glass of orange juice, you will benefit from about the same amount of vitamin C, but you will also be gaining the 4 grams of dietary fiber that is lost through the juicing process!
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Great food of the week, I love oranges and all citrus. It's TANGELO season, which is my absolute favorite type of orange. It's sweet and tart and delicious!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I love blood oranges, but the ones I got at the store last week weren't very good. Not tart at all.

I have had good luck with navels though lately. I agree that the prices outside of California are more then I'd like to spend, but I watch for sales.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Oh blood oranges, it has been years since I had those. Again, partially sticker shock. Tangelos have also been one of my all time favorites, mostly because they tend to be easier to peel.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

There are some ready for picking from my tree. If it isn't raining when I go home, I think I'll get some and cut them up for my snack at work tomorrow.

I have to disagree about the white part. I do find it a bit bitter.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

I have been having a giant navel orange for breakfast every day lately!! I love them and they are so filling!!
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #7  
LLV

An orange is filling?

Bananas are filling. Oranges, in my opinion, are not. But that's a different story

Oranges are okay, but I'm not a big fruit eater. However, if I eat one, it has to be ice cold. I love clementines. Now that's some yummy stuff.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

This week I found organic navel oranges on sale, for even cheaper than the regular non-organics (which were ALSO on sale), so I bought some for the week. Super yummy! I think the organic ones were 88 cents a pound!

I love orange season...mm. I've been having them with my breakfast...a good way to start the day.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
An orange is filling?

Bananas are filling. Oranges, in my opinion, are not. But that's a different story
See..bananas make me ravenous

I love oranges but I especially love satsuma mandarins. I am a peeling and seed wimp.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Mmm. I just bought a 5lb box of clementines for $4.99 at Target. I've been munching on at least 2 a day. I may have to go back and get more!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:04 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I love clemintines. Forget about the taste, which if you get a good batch is delicious. But the size for me is perfect. I can eat a couple or sometimes even three scattered throughout the day, whenever I want a quick nibble, just something good to eat without spending a lot of calories.

I rarely ever have a regular orange though. I don't find them very filling.

I've seen the blood oranges around a lot lately. They look a bit odd. I've never tried them.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:17 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I hardly ever eat an orange but ... they were on sale this week. I had a clementine yesterday and it was great. I'm not sure why I don't eat them very often.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:49 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Ive seen the blood oranges around a lot lately. They look a bit odd. I've never tried them.
If you like a really tart, flavorful orange - blood orange is a good option. as far as how they look, my rule has always been: the darker the fruit/vegetable, the more vitamins/nutrients it probably contains (spinach vs. iceberg, etc).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 207/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Oh, this is a great pick! Oranges are great. I just recently fell in love with them. Large Navel oranges are 2/$1.00 where I shop. I usually pick one up if I'm buying my lunch at work. I've had really good luck with the taste too. MMMM!
cbuggin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #15  

I was also recently reintroduced to the magnificence of an orange. My dad who lives nearby has trees, but the product is great for cooking to provide flavor, but hard to peel and eat. Then I was gifted with some softball size navel oranges (giant bellybuttons!) from a friend who lives in an area more suited to citrus. Super easy to peel, juicy and flavorful beyond belief. I could not eat a whole one- they were 2 servings per orange... Of course now I am spoiled because her tree is about done for the year. I think I may have not chosen oranges as my fruit because they are best peeled before eating. Then you get the citrus oil under your nails, and it is a generally messy affair. These were so good I got over my silliness.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote