Old 02-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174.2/?/140

Height: 5'2''

Default Turkey sausage ?

Is this even on plan and if it is how much is 1P? I saw a recipe in debs cookbook using turkey sausage and was wondering if it is OP. I bought some links before and with 10g of fat and 650mg sodium it seems like too much but both DH and I loved it so we bought some more and i'm still wondering if its ok. Do you use turkey sausages?
Debbie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #2  
LAWL Salt Police

We really try not to.. We bought some of the Jennie O and it tasted so good we ended up eating too much.

We try to just stick to the occassional serving of turkey bacon, and no more than a couple slices at a time.. It's not on plan, but it's lower in fat and much lower in sodium than the sausages.

And again, it's an occassional treat.. Maybe once every couple of weeks...

I haven't done this myself, but I would google "low sodium turkey sausage" and see what you find..

You can also make your own, using super lean ground turkey, lite salt or "NoSalt" alternative, as well as lots of other spices.. I've done this in the past to make my own patties... Not quite the same, but much better for you!
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #3  

Dan we bought the Jennie-o also, its just so darn good. i honestly never thought turkey sausages could be so good. We usually have it on a hotdog bun with carmelized onions & green peppers. The veggies are just as good as the sausage. Oh yum!.

How much of the sausage do you count as 1P?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #4  
Amy- Red w/Lites

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199

Height: 5'9

I'm glad you asked this! I just bought some jenni-o turkey sausage to make a whole wheat pizza as a treat for the end of the week. I'll make sure to keep my serving to a minimum! Thanks guys!
amylou7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 162/141.9/137

Height: 5'5'

I found a recipe for turkey sausage. Lo fat. I use ground turkey breast, add some cayenne pepper, sage, black pepper and salt. I form them into patties and cook them on my George Foreman. They taste really good. Each patty is about 1 oz that I make. When I want something different for breakfast, I heat a few in the microwave and put on lite whole wheat toast.

There's lots of websites that have healthier recipes - that's where I got this one. I also made my own version of an egg casserole. Ground turkey breast instead of sausage, low fat cheese and egg beaters. Even my son likes it. I made a whole pan and froze 4 pieces together using a seal a meal. They are easy to heat up in the morning.
jamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:07 AM   #6  
LAWL Salt Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie24 View Post
Dan we bought the Jennie-o also, its just so darn good. i honestly never thought turkey sausages could be so good. We usually have it on a hotdog bun with carmelized onions & green peppers. The veggies are just as good as the sausage. Oh yum!.

How much of the sausage do you count as 1P?
I know.. This is why we've stopped eating it.. Liz and I both LOVE sausage and this stuff is addicting...

Since it's not on plan, it's hard to say what's a serving.. I would say 1 patty would be 1P and 1Fat... But of course, that's cheating, so I don't know if there's really any way to count it.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:08 AM   #7  

Thanks Dan, i think we're going to have to cut back also. When we had it the 1st time lastweek DH said "we should have this atleast once or twice a week". He's going to be upset to hear that we will probably only have it once a month.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #8  
LAWL Salt Police

Or just tell him that you're in an experimental mood and want to try and make it yourself! Just remember that you're not making a hamburger patty, so use plenty of spice and mush it together really well.. Use a biscuit cutter or empty soup can to cut proportionately..
Old 02-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #9  

i made the pork sausage from the LAWL book before and added alot of my own herbs and they were good so i'll tell him i'll make those. Thanks Dan!
Old 02-24-2008, 02:39 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 263/243/150

Height: 5"6'

I love the jennie-o sausage. I've been eating the italian sausage and I figure that two sausages equal a serving. It's just a rough guess based on the weight of the package and the serving size that the red plan allows. I've been losing great so I'm not too worried if my estimate is off. If I find that I stall later, I can always adjust to less.

I also love their ground turkey because I can add a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder and it makes a great tasting burger. I usually eat it with veggies and no bread though.
joylove26 is offline   Reply With Quote