Old 02-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #1  
Starting over Spring 2011

Height: 5'10"

Red face Sick...what to do

Hi, everyone,

I started my WW one week at a time program this week, which is hard enough. But I got really sick a couple of days ago, and still am. What do you all do as far as eating when sick. It seems like a lot to try and stick to WW when you feel so bad, but I want to be healthy---just don't have the energy to stick to points. Just curious about how you handle getting sick and following an eating plan. I would like to think do it no matter what, but not sure I am up to that. Thanks, everyone.
tkdkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

When I'm sick, I focus on making sure my body is healthy again. For me, it means I stick with plenty of liquids, soups, soft warm foods. Usually nothing sweet, because it makes me feel worse. I don't look at calories so much, because I generally do not feel like eating a lot anyways. I just take care of myself the best I can until I'm feeling back to normal!

Once back to normal body-wise, back to normal healthy counting, eating habits, exercising, etc.

Edit: I should note that this is when I'm SICK sick. In bed with a fever sick, or throwing up sick. Not just when I have a cold or something.

Last edited by Lovely; 02-19-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I'm not sure why you couldn't stick to points when you're ill, although you might not feel like eating as many points as you're allowed?? Do you mean you feel like just eating junk food? I guess I'm not sure what you mean when you say "It seems like a lot to try and stick to WW when you feel so bad. . ."

Chicken soup is a great food for when you're sick, and fit into a points plan. I like tomato and fire roasted pepper soup, which is calorie friendly, easy to make when I'm feeling ill, and warms me up if I have a cold. If I have a stomach flu, I don't feel like eating at all so it's not an issue, but saltines are easily digestible. Since WW is a lifestyle plan that includes all foods, I think that it's pretty easy to stay on WW while you're ill.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

What Faerie said goes for me!

Generally I don't worry about staying OP when I'm sick - even with a cold or whatever. I just try to make healthy choices rather than count exact calories. In general when I'm sick I lose my appetite anyway.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! I'm sorry your sick! You should focus on taking care of yourself, of course--but that said, there is no real reason to go completely off program. Being sick doesn't mean that suddenly eating high-calorie foods is OK--I'm talking about ice cream, chocolate, blah blah blah. But you know that!

So concentrate on nourishment. Love that chicken soup! Other soups are good, too. A nice shake made with 1% milk, a banana, an egg or some protein powder, and some strawberries is a good lower-calorie breakfast or meal. (If you are stuffed up, you could try soymilk instead of cow's milk--the latter can be congesting.) Also, some tuna and crackers would be a good choice--there are some nice packs that Bumblebee makes that are probably about 4 points.

But don't worry about keeping your points at a weight loss level. Just maintaining would be fine.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #6  

Thanks, everyone. Yes, I am so sick that I just don't have much energy to be planning, going to the store, etc---NOT that I want to eat junk---just feel like it is a time to nurture myself. Still really sick---went to work Monday, Tuesday ended up coming home, and now I am really sick. Just trying to rest and take it easy. Thank you very much. I appreciate the support so much. (I just didn't want to feel like I am going off my program as soon as I was trying to get back on, if that makes sense.)

Last edited by tkdkathy; 02-20-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Here's hoping you're feeling better, soon! Take it easy & rest up!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

When I am sick I make my "Magic" chicken soup. It is SO easy to throw together even when you feel horrible, and just drinking it from a mug makes you feel a ton better. Lots of nutrition, very few calories, delicious, comforting. My children all ask for it whenever they are sick. I really think it makes you get better faster... it has garlic (which is antiviral) and ginger (which aids in circulation) and other great things for vitamins and minerals.

The quick, basic recipe to throw together when sick...

Get a rotisserie chicken and peel off most of the meat and save it for later.

Put the bones and skin, wings, etc in a pot and cover with cold water. Cut an onion in quarters and throw it in. Toss in several halved cloves of garlic, a handful of baby carrots (whole) or a carrot cut in half... and 2 celery stalks with leaves, cut in half. Add some salt, black pepper, thyme if oyu have it, parsley... any seasonings oyu might want like onion and garlic powder and a bit of chicken boullion. I always add a couple slices of fresh ginger... but a few shakes of ginger powder is ok. Add a dash of cayenne (helps with circulation). Boil this, covered, for 3 hours or so.

Pour it through a colander and then a finer seive so all you have is broth. Let it sit for a few minutes and skim off all the fat. I often thicken it with a bit of cornstarch and then add some bits of chicken.

I have the recipe on my blog site, on the left column. Link is "Magic Chicken Soup."

Get better soon!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #9  

Hi, everyone,

I am still really sick. I couldn't go to my WW meeting last night, but I weighed at home and if I am right about where I am, I lost a pound! Just not positive, because I don't weigh at home very often, but I think I remember there is a two pound difference between weighing at home and at WW. It cheered me up. The problem I am having now is just feeling kind of down---too much time alone and not feeling good. But I will feel better soon. Thank you so much for the support! And good luck to everyone.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I hope you get to feeling better soon. Being sick sucks.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #11  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Feel better soon. Congrats on the loss!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #12  

Sandi,

I love the saying under your signature---what an encouragement. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2008, 04:20 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

So sorry to hear you are sick. I just got over having pneumonia and a bacterial infection...talk about YUCK! I felt your pain about noting having the energy to stay on track. I basically just had some fat free jello's and puddings. Oh and sugar free popsicles. Lots of juice and water.
I do hope you get to feeling well soon.
martinlady711 is offline   Reply With Quote