Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #1  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Default Cardio Kick Boxing

I mailed in my check today! I am registering for a 4 week class - 2x's a week of Cardio Kick Boxing. Has anyone else done Kick Boxing? Is it like Billy Blanks Tae Bo? Will it help firm up my 'bat wings'? Will it work my butt?

The class is on Tuesdays and Thursdays and I am hoping to jog on my tredmill on Wednesdays and run with my running group on Saturdays... I am also planning to sign up for Yoga on Mondays (this goes for 8 weeks). I know it sounds very ambitious... but I love class stuff. And it is only for four weeks. If it is too much, then I don't have to sign up again... I figure it will be a good kick in the butt!

But I would love to hear about other peoples experiences with Kick Boxing!

SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #2  

I've done it a couple times, it was hard. It was like Tae Bo but it was faster and taught by a hip hop dance teacher and i wasn't used to non stop moving (I had been doing spin class at the time)

get on the edge of the class at first, if you don't keep up you might get kicked, ask me how I know!

Last edited by MissGiggles; 02-19-2008 at 11:09 AM.
MissGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

[QUOTE=MissGiggles;2062115] if you don't keep up you might get kicked, [QUOTE]

That will SO be me!! I tried an aerobics class ONCE at the gym... I thought... It's aerobics - how hard could it be? Then I took the class - I had NO IDEA what hte heck they were saying - or what I was supposed to be doing. I mostly just danced arround like a for an hour.

Last edited by SCraver; 02-19-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #4  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I've taken cardio kickboxing on and off out at my college gym for the last year and a half. I LOVE IT! I try to go twice a week as often as possible. It's like aerobics and TaeBo all in one, you're constantly jumping around and keeping your heart rate up. I wear a Heart Rate Monitor and my HR is always high, which is great: the harder the workout, the more calories you burn during and after.

I've taken the class with two different instructors and each instructor brings her own style to the table. The one I prefer uses techno-like, peppy music and she's just a perky little powerhouse. She really encourages the people in the class by keeping it upbeat. The other woman uses a different flavor of music and she runs the class more like a drill sergent. One keeps her class at a constant elevated heart rate, the other has very high intensity, then very low intensity (so it's like intervals) throughout. So, I can't say how YOUR class is going to be, but I expect you'll have a lot of fun! I feel like a badass, personally
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #5  

My gym offers some, I haven't taken any classes there yet. You have to let me know how it is!
caitbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I do kickboxing 2-3x a week at my fitness center. This is my favorite workout for calorie burning and it's done a lot for my overall endurance and fitness. Plus I have developed actual muscles in my arms and I credit this activity for some of that (I also do a weights class). It was not hard to learn the basic moves but it did take a couple of sessions, so don't worry if you are confused at first. I made a point of being at the front of the class so I could see the instructor and try to get the proper form. It is important to do the moves correctly to avoid hurting yourself, esp. when you get into moving fast or doing choreographed routines. It's also possible to modify the moves if you need to do so for a particular physical issue, and you don't need to kick the ceiling tiles out, punch hard enough to break concrete, etc., to get a good effect from the moves.

I really love kickboxing and I've done it with maybe 8 different instructors over the last year or so. There can be variations in how different people approach it but I haven't had one class where I felt I hadn't gotten a great workout.

This may also sound kind of strange, but I find it very mentally relaxing. For one hour I can't do anything but pay attention to the teacher's cues and do the moves. Takes all my concentration to keep up. Nice unexpected benefit.
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #7  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

You guys are awesome! I am really getting excited about this! Class doesn't start for another TWO WHOLE weeks... I think I might throw some dumbells around until then so I have some muscles in my arms and am not starting from scratch...
Old 02-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #8  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm glad you're excited! It's awesome to be able to be excited about an exercise program! I forgot to mention in my above post that because I wear a HRM, I also know how many calories I burn. During the hour-long class, I burn anywhere from 500-600 calories, depending on how intensely I work. That's another suggestion I'd make: when you throw a punch, work against your own resistance. Really "hit" your invisible opponant hard, without fully extending your elbow, and really kick hard. The more you "mean it", the more calories you burn! There are girls in the class who've been coming for over a year and still look like limp noodles. They might be getting some calories burned, but they're not getting as many muscle benefits OR as many calories burned as someone giving it their all.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I love the comment about the limp noodles. We have them in my classes, too. It's one thing to modify the moves, it's another to drift through them! I really agree with the intensity idea. The more you put your whole body into the moves, the better the exercise, plus more fun.
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #10  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

I starte dmy class this week! And I love it!! My abs are sore - my butt is sore - my legs are sore. And the place the class is at is 0.9 miles up the road from my sisters place - so yesterday, I parked at her place and walked/jogged over to class and then walked/jogged back... I felt GREAT!