Old 02-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #1  
PielCanela

S/C/G: 209/214/170

Height: 5'7"

Default carrots and potatoes

question: i know carrot sticks make good snacks but am wondering since I read they have lots of sugar, more than other veggies... so should I stick to celery, lettuce or other things like that for snacks, any ideas on healthy snacks?
Nightingale68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #2  
PielCanela

S/C/G: 209/214/170

oh and potatoes, are they good or not, im confused!
Nightingale68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:13 AM   #3  
Pat

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/150

Height: 5'0"

I am on a metobolic diet and I cannot have potatoes (or any other starch) or carrots. Carrots have a lot of sugar. Cucumbers, grape tomatoes are good vegetables too as are things in the squash family. Good Luck in your weight loss journey.
ieduc8em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

carrots, sweet potatoes, orange bell pepper and mostly pumpkin(the orange vegetables supply you with alph-carotene and beta-carotene.
There presence in our bodies are associate with reduced risks of:
cancer, lung, breast, prostate, skin, bladder and colon.
heart disease and other diseases.
Please don't cut out a certain healthy food it may have terrible side effects in your future.

You can limit them but don't get rid of them.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

In my honest opinion, it isn't carrots that made any of us fat. It is highly processed foods and sweets, of which many of us eat too much of.

Many VERY HEALTHY foods have sugars in them-all fruits do, as well as many vegetables. However, they also contain vitamins, fiber, antioxidants, and tons of health benefits. Please don't count certain vegetables out of your diets, just because they contain natural sugars. These sugars are not the same thing as sugar in candy/soda-because those foods don't have any nutritional value.

In my opinion, the health benefits of all fruits and vegetables outweigh anything else. Your best bet is to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables in your diet.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #6  
Can't Never Did Nothin'

S/C/G: 212/166/140

Height: 5'6"

As the others above have said, there are more sugars in carrots than in other veggies. If you want to cut them out while you're trying to lose, that's not a bad idea.

That doesn't mean you'll never eat them again. Just lay off them until you reach your goal weight. Then they'll be a healthy addition to your new maintenance lifestyle.
Catmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Personally,

I think carrots are great and I've eaten a lot of carrots. They are filling and low calorie full of vitamins. I think potatoes are also great. They are filling, low fat and full of vitamins and fiber.

I agree, potatoes, fruit, carrots, etc did not make us fat. Processed junk.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #8  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Potatoes are loaded with potasium, too.
No offense - but it has never made sense to me to try to lose weight by limiting certain veggies. I am chubby b/c I ate too much pizza, cheesy dip, crap, cookies, cakes, cheese, sour cream dips, crap, chips, crap... etc.
I am not chubby from too many carrots! I think it is important to always maintain a balance. And everything in moderation and all that. If you sit down and eat 3 lbs. of carrot and a lb of potatoes... yeah, that would definately not help with weight loss.

I hate carrots... I wish I liked them. I can handle them in soups and stews when they are mushy and have no more flavor... All those vitamins and beta carotene.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
In my honest opinion, it isn't carrots that made any of us fat. It is highly processed foods and sweets, of which many of us eat too much of.
Amen to that. I don't get cutting out healthy veggies because they contain natural sugars. That seems like a bit of an overreaction to me.

Carrots are incredibly healthy and great snacks. Potatoes are also very healthy snacks - when they're not loaded wiith milk, cream, sourcream, butter, etc.

Here's some info for you about sugar in carrots:
http://www.rd.com/health/diabetes/be...s/article.html

And here's an article about the nutritional value of potatoes:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/potatoes3.htm

Last edited by PhotoChick; 02-19-2008 at 10:43 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #10  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I leave out potatoes because of calorie content. They're a once in a while thing and carefully fit into my calorie plan on days Ivisit my Mom

most veggies contain a lot of sugars - the absense of fat and protein leave sonly sugars to made up off Just have a balanced diet, and they fit in well.

I have 12 baby carrots daily with a wee bit of hummus and i was shocked at how they cured my hunger and curbed cravings. Because of this, this low-cal snack has a permanent place in my diet.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Potatoes don't have all that many calories. I have a potato as part of my lunch today and it is 2 WW points (approximately 100 calories). Sometimes, I'll eat a large potato as part of dinner as well, which is a bit more calories but still not too bad.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I never limited any fruit or vegetable when I was losing weight (well, maybe avocado to 1/4 avocado per serving). If I wanted a bag of sugar snap peas, I ate a bag of sugar snap peas. I ate tons and tons and tons of baby carrots. As far as potatoes, I was trying to eat "super foods" so I tended to eat sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. Now that I'm maintaining, I eat some white potatoes again, but still prefer sweet potatoes!

I was not a heavy person because I snacked on baby carrots - I was a heavy person because I used to snack on M&Ms and venti caramel lattes.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I leave out potatoes because of calorie content.
But a baked medium potato with the skin is only 160 cals!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #14  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

But 100 - 160 cals can be so many other things besides a side dish in my 1300 cal daily allowance. It can be 2 cups on my chili! It can be a slice of toast with cheese! It can be 3 cups of squash!

When I have potatoes, I want them with salt or with sour cream. Better to not have them because I don't need the sodium or the sour cream If I was lacking potassium, this would be a different story, but since I'm not...
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 212.6/149.6/150

Height: 5'3"

I just read an article about potatoes-can't find it again to post! Anyway, potatoes evidently contain something they're calling "resistant starch." (I think that's what they called it!) And they said that potatoes are even healthier than we thought and this starch aids in weight loss. Did anyone else see that story?
PJS145 is offline   Reply With Quote