The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-17-2008, 11:10 PM   #1  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Default Metabolic Typing - Winning by Losing

I'm reading the book "Winning by Losing" by Jillian Michaels. I am interested in the Metabolic Typing that she talks about to try to lose the rest of the weight that I have to lose. I've tried to take the test in her book, but I get really mixed up trying to answer the questions truthfully. It's hard for me to decide if I should answer the questions the way I would have before I lost weight (the way I ate at the time) or the way I have trained myself to eat (which is not necessarily the foods I would instinctually choose). So after going back and forth, I thought it would be simpler to take the niacin test. Can anyone who has done that tell me where they were able to find a small enough dosage of niacin? The smallest I have seen is 100 mg and Jillian says to use 50 mg. I could cut the 100 mg tablet, but it is a non-flushing type so that would negate the whole test anyway.

By the way, so far the results of the tests show that I may be a fast oxidizer, and I've always thought that I could eat a little more and could lose a little faster when I was eating fewer carbs. But I don't know if I can give up my daily bowl of oatmeal. And I guess until I really know that I need to, I'm not willing to forgo them.

Thanks for any help or comments anyone has about finding the niacin or metabolic typing in general.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #2  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to let you know that the test questions threw me for a loop too. I had the same issue, do I answer for "now" or "then"? I suppose it would be more clear cut for someone who had never tried to modify their eating.

I hope someone else can help answer your questions. I just looked up 50 mg Niacin online and it looks like they could be ordered fairly cheaply, about $2.42 on Amazon.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #3  
~~Maintainer!~~

Thanks Dee! It looks like ordering online would be the easiest thing to do. I've not been able to find the niacin in 50 mg locally. You're right! It would be much simpler to have taken this test at the beginning of the weight loss journey instead of near the end.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #4  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I looked up what she said in her posts from the Questions for Jillian Michaels thread...here are her posts that mention oxidizers.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...&postcount=179

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...1&postcount=27

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...6&postcount=97

They don't entirely answer it - but the way I see it, the niacin test might be a good idea. Either that or try the fast oxidizer menus for a while and see how you feel.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #5  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

i just got this book yesterday and i am excited about reading it! a friend read it and said it was very helpful
Old 02-21-2008, 11:45 PM   #6  

I just cut a 100 mg tablet in half. It confirmed my suspicions that I am a slow oxidizer. I have been following her macros for slow for a week. I FEEL so much better!! I am eating food and losing weight! I was a terrible undereater, so it was a great education for me- and I thought i knew everything about diets- LOL

BTW, you shouldn't have to give up your oatmeal- just work it into your day.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #7  
~~Maintainer!~~

Thanks Gina, I had forgotten that Jillian posted here some. I've read those links that you sent, now I want to go read the entire thread.

Thistle, I've found the 100 mg tablets locally and could cut them in half, but since they are the Non-flushing type, they will not cause a flush and therefore the test would give no results. Looks like I'll need to order them online.

I've been working oatmeal into my diet for a year or so now (right about the time my weight loss slowed down, which is probably not a coincidence ), but to follow the recommended diet for a fast oxidizer, actually I would have to give it up. I'm trying to decide if I would be willing to give it up (temporarily) just to get the last few pounds off or not. Who would have thought that would be such a difficult decision?!