Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-17-2008, 03:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/133/125

Height: 5'5

Cool Eliminating banana fold

Does anyone else have a banana fold situation? A banana fold is a roll of fat beneath the butt cheek/above the thigh giving the appearance of more than one horizontal crease.

Will the combination of cardio and weight lifting eliminate this in time or is plastic surgery the only option? If so, what exercises do you suggest? Any comments on how to reduce/eliminate this would be very helpful. Thank you.
pengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I've never heard of this, and I don't think I can quite picture what you are describing. I'm amazed that at your height and weight that you have a noticeable extra fold of skin! I would try the stair stepper at the gym and at home maybe the pizza lift (get on all fours and lift one leg at a time -knee is bent, foot is flexed as though you are carrying a pizza - toward the ceiling). I don't think you would need surgery for this. Good luck!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #3  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I certainly hadn't heard it called this, but I suspect I have what you describe. After the weight I've lost so far, I have noticed that my butt cheeks do sort of 'fold' against my upper thighs - My butt was too fat to notice this before!

To be honest, it doesn't bother me, but then I mark most of my 'imperfections' as battle scars from losing the weight; on the other hand, I also have bigger 'imperfections' as a result of losing the weight that bother me more - like how far my boobs drop when I take my bra off!

I should think this will tone up for you, but remember that you cannot 'spot lose' fat. I don't know how old you are, but for me, there's definitely the aspect of lost elasticity, too.

Good luck!
Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:20 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I would try lunges, step ups, squats, anything to round out your butt to fill out the roll...

I have a hard time picturing this "banana roll" also ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/150/130

I weigh more than you did and we are the same height and I don't have the fold so I am lost as well... I have a pretty well shaped booty though lol I have done a lot of lunges and so forth, I actually got my booty from rollerblading so maybe that's why I don't have it, maybe work on some glute exercises
callia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/133/125

Height: 5'5

I have attached a picture of the banana fold that I found off the web. It's kinda disheartening to find it on a plastic surgery site... I think it might be a genetic pre-disposition to store fat in this manner. I find it even more bizarre that I only have one banana.. and hence, being self conscious. If I had two bananas.. at least I'd have symmetry going for me..lol

I am hoping by decreasing my body fat percentage and doing some shaping/focused strength training that were mentioned here.. I will soon be banana-less. Thank you for all of your suggestions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg banana.jpg (15.9 KB, 152 views)
pengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Well, whatever it is, fat loss and muscle development will get rid of it. You can't spot reduce, but general fat loss should do the trick. You almost certainly don't need surgery.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks for the visual, now I definitely see what you mean...

Yesterday I did some butt work that worked only the "glutes" ... Squats, lunges with a bar, lunges on two bosu balls, step ups, dead lifts... My BUTT is VERY sore today :banana: ..... Maybe doing one work out/week concentrating only on the glutes would round out the butt to at least give the illusion that the banana is gone...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:16 PM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I think if you continue doing exercises to firm up your butt, thighs, and hamstrings, along with decreasing your body fat %, the fold will eventually disappear. My trainer was just telling me yesterday that doing these types of exercises should help make your thighs nice and lean near your butt, making your butt appear nice and round.

In your case, since you have the fold on only one leg, I suspect that you've already toned the muscles on your other leg enough to eliminate it. It's probably your weaker leg where you are seeing the fold; once the muscles in this leg catch up to where the muscles in your other leg are now, I suspect the fold will disappear (and you'll be symmetrical again ).

I also suspect that the fold is far more noticeable to you than it is to anyone else.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Now that I see the pic, I think I may have a little banana going myself. My DH is always grabbing my butt, so I guess I can live with it.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #11  

oh my goodness pengy i absolutely love you!! i thought i was the only person in the world with this problem. i am 5'6" and 120 pounds and i have had a banana fold as long as i remember--only on my left leg!! at one point i got down to 110 pounds trying to get rid of it, but it was still there. the only thing i havent tried is specific excercizes for that part...i mean i have tried them but never for long enough to see any noticable difference. i wish i knew you and we could work together on this or something.
hannanay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #12  

Default Fat Fold Under My Booty Too!

I know this thread is old, but I'm hoping there's still someone here who knows anything about the fold of fat under the glutes. I'm 5'11", 146 lbs. and have one under my left glute. Ugh!
gymraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #13  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

I always called it a double butt...it will disappear with lots of butt work...squats lunges weighted on high steps ect. I got rid of mine and my pancake butt in my late 50's.
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'4

OMG, so that's the name for it! I have it. Although it's not prominent but it's prominent enough for me! :[
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #15  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 130/130/118

Height: 4'11"

I had outer-thigh lipo in early January and just realized that I have a newly acquired banana roll, which I am none too happy about. I agree, plenty of lunges and squats should help round out what isn't there. At least that's what I'm hoping!
thejanuarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote